Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What do I need to know about cloth overnight? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486194)

ExcitedMamma 01-28-2013 09:22 AM

What do I need to know about cloth overnight?

DD is 4 mos old and I'm just starting to CD. I'm waiting for BGE (I think that's the right way to say BumGenius Elementals?) and a Totsbottom to arrive and I have gDiapers with cloth inserts. DD sleeps with me 11-12 hrs at night and wakes for bf milk but most of the time doesn't get changed unless I hear her poop. Can these dipes go overnite without leaks or do I need some sort of insert? If so what? Thank you!

Hungry Caterpillar 01-28-2013 10:09 AM

Re: What do I need to know about cloth overnight?

It really depends on what kind of a wetter she is. My DS can't go overnight in anything other than an Sbish OBF with a wool cover or we get leaks. He also can't wear anything with elastic like a pocket or AIO because he rolls around all night and nap and ends up on his tummy, so we get leaks. So, if he's sleeping, he needs a really absorbant diaper with wool over.

You will probably have to try for a few nights to see what her actual output it overnight. If she is waking up to nurse many times overnight, she will probably be inputting enough to soak the diaper.

The gdiapers I wouldn't try overnight. There is a possibility with the BGE. Not sure about the Totsbottom.

srw.mutter 01-28-2013 11:18 AM

The Totsbots (I think is what you mean?) are nice because they have a pocket opening to add more absorbency.

But the pp was right, it depends on how much your baby wets. My kid is not a heavy wetter, but we couldn't do any other those diapers without added absorbency. but he is a toddler, not a 4mo old and drinks like crazy at dinner

bcarroll9494 01-28-2013 11:58 AM

A third vote for "it depends on your baby" :giggle2:
Pockets did fine for us until 10 months..... then we went to fitteds with PUL covers and never had leaks again.

Pixi6s 01-28-2013 12:01 PM

My son is not a heavy wetter. We used BG4.0 (bum genius) with the large microfiber insert and a Med size hemp joey bunz behind it.

I prefer stay dry at night time. The BGE's are not stay dry, not sure about the tots bots.

ExcitedMamma 01-28-2013 01:43 PM

Ok it sounds like I need inserts. I also ordered some swaddlebees 2.0 after I read some great reviews of them in another thread. Any insert that would work in all three types (BGE, tots bots and swaddlebees?). Do I need inserts for the pockets and separate inserts that just lay flat in the diaper?

Are the cloth inserts from gDiapers that I have any good in the other ones? Or do I need something better? Thank you!

Pixi6s 01-28-2013 02:04 PM

Wow.

Any hemp, bamboo, cotton insert can go into a pocket or lay on top but is not stay dry on its own. Micro fiber should always be in a pocket.

Some inserts have a stay dry material sewn on the top of it (usually microfleece) these generally should not be used in a pocket and should be the top insert with stay dry on top. Exception is you could put the fleece side "upside down" so the fleece is futherist from the baby.

Not sure if gDiapers has come out with anything new but them ones I have had for 2+ years are fleece on top with hemp under. They are fine inserts but, I've heard not for heavy wetters. I've heard of gMoms sandwiching 2 together with the hemp sides facing each other to be better for a heavy wetter. So fleece is against baby as well as furtherist from baby.

If there is a pocket I would recommend using it. It's a bit of a trial and error thing. As your babe uses them during the day get an idea how soaked they are. This can help you figure out what might work at night.

I like the BG 4.0 for nighttime because, in my opinion, their suedecloth is the absolute best stay dry I have tried (granted there is ALOT i haven't tried). I like the mf in the pocket closest to the babe because mf is one of the fasted absorbing inserts. I put the hemp behind it for more absorbency and hemp holds the most (debatable with bamboo but again in my opinion) for its trimness. It also works by "holding back" the pee and helps prevent compression leaks with the mf.

Good Luck!