Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   I wish I could have a day all to myself (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486341)

rawheid 01-28-2013 03:21 PM

I wish I could have a day all to myself

ok, maybe 2. I'd like to whip through the rooms and purge, purge, purge. But then I wonder if I'd actually do it? I suppose thats why we're doing this baby steps.

If you had a day to yourself to go through your home which rooms would you tackle?

for me its the entire basement. We have the family/toy room, the under the stairs storage/video storage, 1 bedroom (ODS and DD), bathroom, furnace/mudroom/laundry room and the cold room. These are the areas that I neglect the most.

That being said, I think what I really need is a week where I'm not running all over taking the kids places. Well tomorrow I'm not going anywhere, so I'll pick the mudroom.

cherylchoo 01-28-2013 06:49 PM

Re: I wish I could have a day all to myself

Me too! My house is not so bad...but the unfinished, storage part of the basement is a nightmare. That's where all the stuff that wasn't properly gone through and purged before we moved is. I've been able to do some of it piecemeal, but if I could have a whole day to do it all....I'd like to think I'd get rid of more than half of it.

But like you said, sometimes it's more productive to do it a little at a time. I have to really be in the "zone" to purge the most stuff. And then once I've hit the wall, I have to quit or I am keeping things I would normally have no problem tossing.

rawheid 01-28-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylchoo (Post 16218747)
Me too! My house is not so bad...but the unfinished, storage part of the basement is a nightmare. That's where all the stuff that wasn't properly gone through and purged before we moved is. I've been able to do some of it piecemeal, but if I could have a whole day to do it all....I'd like to think I'd get rid of more than half of it.

But like you said, sometimes it's more productive to do it a little at a time. I have to really be in the "zone" to purge the most stuff. And then once I've hit the wall, I have to quit or I am keeping things I would normally have no problem tossing.

This is exactly it!!

Robin 01-29-2013 04:12 PM

If I had a free day, it would be the basement first, upstairs 2nd. The main floor is much easier for me to tackle since that is where we spend all day. No way I could tackle the basement when the toddlers are around - way, way too much stuff they can get into down there.

cherylchoo 01-29-2013 05:48 PM

Well, Murphy's Law. It looks like we will have some minor flooding tonight, and I had to scramble to get everything off the floor in the basement. Four boxes already got wet on the bottom. If I had actually completed the purge down there, the would be at least 50% less stuff and it all would have been off the floor in plastic tubs. So I am a lot more motivated now, I guess. ;)

P!nkPepper 01-29-2013 06:20 PM

Our basement is sort of a disaster area. We moved in last July and it has tons of military gear and old computer stuff. Plus the pantry area is full of totes of clothes & toys.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

estrellajane 02-01-2013 07:37 AM

It would be my kids room! My eldest daughter inherited my husband's packrat gene and will not get rid of anything. It drives me crazy!

badmisterkitty 02-01-2013 09:03 AM

Toys. It wouldn't take all day, but it's impossible to do with kids underfoot.

peaches330 02-01-2013 04:20 PM

If my kids were gone for the day I'd focus on their rooms. I swear it's impossible to do anything in there while they're home because they're constantly coming in and asking me about what I'm doing and why and where xyz is going to go :giggle:. I can really handle pretty much any other room while they're here except for their own.