Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sized AIO cost same as disposables? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486349)

jen12323 01-28-2013 03:41 PM

Sized AIO cost same as disposables?

I calculated that if i want sized diapers, 30 each size,
Newborn, small, med, large...the total for AIO's add up to same or more than disposables.

Anyone take this route?

Also, are One size diapers too bulky?

holocene 01-28-2013 03:47 PM

Re: Sized AIO cost same as disposables?

You can just buy newborn and one size diapers. One size won't be bulky at all after about 12 lbs, which is when newborn diapers generally stop fitting.

There are lots of different ways to cloth diaper, some costing more than others. Sized AIO's are one of the most expensive routes to take. :)

RockinLou 01-28-2013 04:02 PM

When you use sized you don't need 30 Mediums or large, you could probably do 18-24 and many kids potty train out of Mediums

I have 12 size large diapers and 12 One Size diapers, and it is waaaay more than I need. I could use the 12 large exclusively with the exception of nights on my 20 month old.

coquelicot 01-28-2013 04:08 PM

For what it's worth, my DD potty-trained before she outgrew her mediums. So you might not need larges, or maybe just a few for nighttime. I plan on using more OS diapers this time around with DS once he's fully out of NB diapers. At 10 lbs, he's almost there. Some OS diapers already fit him OK.

jen12323 01-28-2013 04:20 PM

Wow I had no idea I may just need 20 or less with mediums or large. Good to know!
Rockinlou, are the OS bulky? Do you like them better or your size large?

jen12323 01-28-2013 04:22 PM

Is it possible to skip the small size?

coquelicot 01-28-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen12323
Is it possible to skip the small size?

Probably not. All the NBs I have max out at 12 lbs at most (most are like 9-10 lbs), and mediums start around...14, 15 lbs? A lean baby might get longer use out of a size due to less chunk. DD did. DS is as long as DD was but has more chunk on him.

qsefthuko 01-28-2013 05:11 PM

I wouldn't put all the money into AIO right off the bat. Get the nb and then buy the next size up as needed. This way you know just how many diapers you will need in each size instead of under or over buying. Then you can always try a one size and see how it fits your baby.

nonipie 01-28-2013 05:45 PM

Unless you know they work and you like them I would not buy a full stash of one type of AIO. There are so many mamas that come on here saying that they thought AIO were the way to go then they had the baby and their opinion changed. Perhaps a trial would be best. Also like a PP said you would not need the same amounts in each size. If perhaps you were expecting a larger newborn or didn't want to start right away you could start with smalls. Also yes many children never make it to larges. But by the time they get there they are usually not going through 12 diapers daily anymore.

Full stash of AIO is an expensive way to go and if I wanted to do AIO I would do a newborn stash and then a OS like BGE.

fish3737 01-28-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen12323 (Post 16217999)
I calculated that if i want sized diapers, 30 each size,
Newborn, small, med, large...the total for AIO's add up to same or more than disposables.

Anyone take this route?

Also, are One size diapers too bulky?

My sister did sized. But she bought used pretty much and then she sold them to my brother (for his babies) after she was done.

So she bought hers for like $10 dollars each, then she sold them to my brother for $7 dollars each. His babies are a year behind hers.

So that doesn't work out too bad.

She just bought each size as she needed them. She didn't start out with all the sizes.