Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help, I am so confused! **Kids Glasses** (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486356)

MavericksMama 01-28-2013 03:50 PM

Help, I am so confused! **Kids Glasses**

My 5 year old daughter recently went in for her first eye exam, both our neighbor and my mom recommended taking her, because when she watches a movie, she looks sideways out of the corner of her eye.

While reading the charts, the opthamologist figures she was seeing between 20/20 and 20/25 out of her left eye, and 20/25 consistently out of her right eye. The prescription she gave her was 1.5+ on the left eye, and 3.5+ on the right eye. From what I understand, this is so she will start using her right eye more and strengthen it. I asked a mom from my daughter's cheer squad, because she has two kids in glasses, and she agreed it was best to get them. Asked the eye doctor at Walmart, and he agreed with the private practice person my daughter saw, even though he doesn't work on commission.

Here is my gripe/my worry. That 3.5+ is SUCH a big correction! I don't see why if it was near-perfect in the left eye, why they didn't do no prescription there, and a lesser prescription in the right eye. Thoughts??? She says things are so blurry, and keeps pushing her glasses up on her head like you would sunglasses, or looks above or below them. :headscratch: I know all glasses have some getting used to, but don't see how she could EVER get used to these.

craigwick 01-28-2013 03:55 PM

Re: Help, I am so confused! **Kids Glasses**

I've been wearing glasses since I was 7 and they never made my vision blurry, even the very first pair. Everything was sharper and in focus. It hurt my eyes for a bit, but I got used to it quickly. But then I am nearsighted, not farsighted.

Jen's_4 01-28-2013 04:32 PM

My son is farsighted and his glasses never made his vision blurry. I would definitely get a second opinion.

ktmelody 01-28-2013 04:43 PM

Get a second opinion.

+3.5 is not that bad. My daughter had a +12.5 as a toddler. And my 6 year old is +6.0 in both eyes. It did take her a day or 2 to adjust but it wasnt blurry.

MavericksMama 01-28-2013 04:47 PM

She goes back and fourth between saying things are blurry or "it makes things kinda bigger". I'm so lost. I look through them, and they look horrible to me. I have no experience with glasses at all whatsoever though.

craigwick 01-28-2013 05:24 PM

If you have good vision I wouldn't judge them by how they seem to you. Mine are bad in the opposite direction (-6 and -6.5) and if I put on a farsighted persons glasses they are wacky! I would phone the place where her eyes were tested and ask them about it and if they don't help then maybe a 2nd opinion is in order.

DalesWidda 01-28-2013 05:33 PM

OP, my LDH had a new pair of glasses once. He insisted there was something wrong with them. Finally after a couple of weeks he took them back in. Turns out the company made them stronger than what the prescription was supposed to be. Maybe see if that is the problem?

abunchoflemons 01-28-2013 05:35 PM

I got mine in 3rd grade. It just was something to get used to. Even now.. speaking of I think I need to go back too as we don't have it covered I only go when really need it. She might need adjustments.

TinyHineyDiapers 01-28-2013 05:36 PM

Try to get her to wear them for a day, when I get a new script the first day of adjustment is hard and maybe she's not understanding how to express the weirdness? You can also try going and Getting the prescription checked in the glasses. I had a pair once from Walmart they filled wrong and I was miserable for weeks until my mom figured it out

Angel89411 01-28-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalesWidda
OP, my LDH had a new pair of glasses once. He insisted there was something wrong with them. Finally after a couple of weeks he took them back in. Turns out the company made them stronger than what the prescription was supposed to be. Maybe see if that is the problem?

It happens. Or they pop the lenses in the wrong eye.