Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Aug (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   UPDATE-- Midwife service- labor at home and then transfer to hospital for pushing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486372)

MonkeyBean415 01-28-2013 04:54 PM

UPDATE-- Midwife service- labor at home and then transfer to hospital for pushing?

UPDATE

Just wanted to post a little update. I had decided that having a midwife just for labor wasn't a good idea (thank you all for your input on that!) I had decided to go with three possible options-
#1- see if I could work something out with the MW since I desperately want a home water birth
#2- hire a doula to get me through laboring at home until the last possible minute and then transfer to the hospital (we're only 10 minutes away)
#3- look into unassisted birth more (in this case I would still want someone else there for support other than DH since DD will be here too)

Well so far options 1 & 2 are out... The MW told me she would be taking her boards on the 17th so wouldn't be on the island and since my due date is the 18th she's not willing to take me on. My doula from my first birth is unavailable and the other two doulas have not responded to my messages and it's been a week and I can see that they read it so I'm assuming they're uninterested. I also haven't met either of these ladies so am not even sure if I'd be comfortable having there.

This leaves me stuck because I feel as if I'll need some sort of labor support and we don't have any family around here or really close friends. Even if we go to the hospital earlier than I'd like DH will have to be with DD which leaves me alone. I know I have a lot of time to figure these things out but it's driving me crazy that nothing is working out right now. We're having a playdate today with a friend of mine who used to be a nurse and I'm hoping she'll be willing to help me prepare for an UC (unassisted childbirth). I don't expect her to be there during it but since neither DH or I have any medical experience it would be good to have someone tell me what I need to look out for and when if needed to go to the hospital.

Thank you ladies for listening to my rambling

Cross posting from pregnancy forum but what your ladies' input as well :) I know it's early for this but I like knowing what to expect.

I had originally given up on the idea of a home birth because we don't have one on our island. I spoke with my doula today and voiced my concerns about the hospital's rotation "you get the doctor that's on call" policy and she informed me that there is a midwife coming to the island for the summer months. Unfortunately we cannot financially afford a home birth with her. My insurance will fully cover a hospital birth and will not cover a home birth at all.

My doula mentioned possibly having her come and help me labor at home for as long as possible and then transfer to the hospital for pushing. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you know how much it costs? We didn't get to talk in detail about it but she's sending me the midwife's information sometime soon.

Tris 01-28-2013 05:03 PM

Re: Midwife service- labor at home and then transfer to hospital for pushing?

IME you won't care about who actually delivers you. Of my 2 labors, I've had two different doctors than I had prenatal care with, and when it came time to push is the only time they pop in. And by that time, I didn't care if a monkey was catching. Your nurses are your real support :)

Tris 01-28-2013 05:04 PM

And if you already have a doula, that's the one that matters. She'll be your real support.

crunchymamaNY 01-28-2013 05:34 PM

If you have whoever is on call at a hospital, then why hire a midwife to help you get through the labor part at home? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just stick with your doula? I'm kind of confused, sorry.

MonkeyBean415 01-28-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16218312)
IME you won't care about who actually delivers you. Of my 2 labors, I've had two different doctors than I had prenatal care with, and when it came time to push is the only time they pop in. And by that time, I didn't care if a monkey was catching. Your nurses are your real support :)

And if you already have a doula, that's the one that matters. She'll be your real support.

The problem is that I really can't stand a couple of the doctors in the rotation... And I don't actually have a doula... yet. I spoke with my doula for my last birth but she won't be available over the summer so she's going to get me in touch with the other doula in her practice and hopefully we can work something out.

MonkeyBean415 01-28-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY (Post 16218447)
If you have whoever is on call at a hospital, then why hire a midwife to help you get through the labor part at home? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just stick with your doula? I'm kind of confused, sorry.

I really don't want a hospital birth and am trying to figure out a way to limit the amount of time I need to be there. Ideally I would only need to go for pushing and be able to do everything else at home with my doula or midwife. I'm just trying to figure out how it would all work out financially.

Tris 01-28-2013 06:07 PM

I couldn't stand the one that caught my second, he tried to make me birth on my back because its easier for him to catch. I had enough mind to tell him it wasn't happening, and labored on my side. The nurses later told me they've never seen anyone tell him off :) It really honestly didn't matter at that phase, and that's the only time I saw him.

Tris 01-28-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBean415 (Post 16218572)
I really don't want a hospital birth and am trying to figure out a way to limit the amount of time I need to be there. Ideally I would only need to go for pushing and be able to do everything else at home with my doula or midwife. I'm just trying to figure out how it would all work out financially.

That's the way most hospitals prefer, actually. They don't really want you there laboring unless you are a at risk pregnancy :)

MonkeyBean415 01-28-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16218591)
I couldn't stand the one that caught my second, he tried to make me birth on my back because its easier for him to catch. I had enough mind to tell him it wasn't happening, and labored on my side. The nurses later told me they've never seen anyone tell him off :) It really honestly didn't matter at that phase, and that's the only time I saw him.

On your back?! That's crazy! I'm glad you told him off! I haven't had any problems with the doctors with the prenatal treatment (yet) but after DD was born at my 2 or 4 month well baby visit he jumped down my throat about cosleeping and nursing at night. He told me that she should be sleeping through the night by then and threw ear plugs in my face. I threw them away and haven't seen him since. There are 5-6 doctors on the rotation so hopefully it wont be him. I don't really want him near any of my children.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16218604)
That's the way most hospitals prefer, actually. They don't really want you there laboring unless you are a at risk pregnancy :)

And I agree with this too! I think I'll be fine waiting until the last minute to leave as long as I can work something out with a doula. Last time I was so anxious we went in way too early. I think now that I've been through labor and know more about what to expect I'll be able to judge when to leave better.

bigmamakelsey 01-28-2013 08:48 PM

Would a birth center be an option? Even most free standing birth centers that are quite home like accept insurance. I just think the midwife fee + the doula fee would be excessive - if anything, I'd pay the midwife fee and forget the doula and have the baby at home. It'd probably be the same expense as having both there and not even delivering at home. Or, option B, have just the doula there with you during labor letting her know you want to do most of the laboring at home, and have her really advocate for you when you get to the hospital.