Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Where do you store bread? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486407)

mrspopo 01-28-2013 06:40 PM

Where do you store bread?

We've got a metal breadbox that sits on the counter but it seems overly big and in the way. Where do you keep your bread so it isn't in the way?

The fridge definitely wont work here - DH would have a fit about that, he's very passionate about baked goods drying out in the fridge. But I need ideas of a place that's accessible but out of the way. In the cupboard? Is there some other neat countertop container that would integrate well?

And while we're on the subject - what about the toaster oven (the big kind that we use to cook lots of different foods)? I guess this is a spin-off topic because someone else discussed counterspace which got me thinking about the bigger items that live on the counter.

cherylchoo 01-28-2013 06:55 PM

Re: Where do you store bread?

We have a big rectangular basket for bread. But we eat 2-3 loaves a week, plus tortillas, naan, bagels...we have a bit of a bread addiction. :giggle2: It sits on the counter under the microwave cabinet, which is less than ideal for regular usable counterspace. I have also in the past put the bread basket on top of the microwave, but I want to restrict access of little people of my bread, so that can work for me. :rofl: Might not work for others.

We don't have a toaster oven, but if we did I would have put it into the plans when we remodeled to go in an accessible cabinet. Most people I know that don't have a built-in microwave usually have some sort of cart they put it in or on, so I suppose it would work the same way for a toaster oven?

rawheid 01-28-2013 07:33 PM

I set the loaf on the shelf in my little pantry

elizabeth.scalf 01-28-2013 08:11 PM

Bread is in a cabinet with crackers, chips, pretzels and peanut butter. Now that I've cleaned out pantry, I suppose it could go there. I would never keep it in the fridge. I also wouldn't want it on the countertop. Even If I did have a box to put it in. just doesn't seem beautiful as say, a basket of bright apples and pomegranates.

Our toaster oven is on the counter top, but its used almost daily.

I do have a ton of counter space though.

tallanvor 01-28-2013 08:42 PM

Bread in the pantry, toaster oven on the counter. It would be a pain to haul it out every time we needed it. As we don't have a microwave r separate toaster, it is used a decent amount.

LRL 01-28-2013 09:46 PM

Usually in the fridge, but sometimes in the freezer if we have an abundance. I wouldn't be able to stand a big box on the counter.

~Laura~ 01-28-2013 10:03 PM

I have four cupboards for our food, bread goes on the shelf near crackers and fits fine. I bake it so it's not as long as store bought loaves. The only things I allow on counter tops is microwave, stand mixer, fresh fruit and DH's basket. I've never had a need for a toaster oven, but all of my other small appliances live in the cabinets. If my mixer and microwave would fit in a cupboard, I'd store them there. :giggle:

P!nkPepper 01-28-2013 10:09 PM

We keep the bread in the cupboard with the other starchy things like crackers, english muffins & tortillas.

I don't have a toaster oven and our microwave died this past weekend so my counters are pretty bare.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

Joluru 01-28-2013 10:17 PM

In a metal breadbox on the counter. I have been happy with it - closes to look clean, keeps the bread from drying out (I'm with your husband).

joeslittlewoman 01-29-2013 06:07 AM

Ours is kept in the pantry. The only thing routinely left on the counter is a wickless candle/burner hubby loves. I don't have a toaster oven, but small appliances go in a cabinet. Microwave is mounted under the cabinet above the stove.