Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   How long did it take you to get "good" at this? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486412)

percussionsmith 01-28-2013 07:53 PM

How long did it take you to get "good" at this?
 
We're in our 2nd semester of waldorf homeschooling. We took a way too long break for the holidays, some illnesses and deaths. We started back up two weeks ago and somehow we seem to be connecting much better and flowing a lot more easily. I did change some things up, but I wonder how much of it is just "getting it" better than we did before...maybe he's getting used to having mama as a teacher and hopefully I'm becoming a better teacher. I do feel like I'm using new skills, more music and becoming more comfortable with the role of mom, teacher, WAHM. It makes me wonder how much better I'll/we'll be at this in 2 years, 6 years, etc.

Do you feel like you get progressively better at being a homeschool mom? Any tips you want to share that you learned as you grew?

Thanks :thumbsup:

Art mama 01-28-2013 07:56 PM

I'm hoping I get better as I go lol. We just started in sept and I'm still trying to find they routine/rhythm. Just received my new curriculum today and if I can get the kids to sleep want to dive in and see what to do with it. I'm trying oak meadow and I hope it's a fit for us.

croark 01-28-2013 08:43 PM

My first year was tough. 2nd yr was way better. Now we are in our 3rd year and its just wonderful! So in my experience it takes a good 2 years or so to really get it down.

thirdtimemomma 01-28-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by croark (Post 16219054)
My first year was tough. 2nd yr was way better. Now we are in our 3rd year and its just wonderful! So in my experience it takes a good 2 years or so to really get it down.

Yes this. We are in year 7 and still feel like we don't always have it together but, we feel its who we are now so it doesn't matter.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

Art mama 01-28-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by croark
My first year was tough. 2nd yr was way better. Now we are in our 3rd year and its just wonderful! So in my experience it takes a good 2 years or so to really get it down.

Nice to know. I feel like I'm flailing around at the moment.

percussionsmith 01-28-2013 10:17 PM

Re: How long did it take you to get "good" at this?
 
Thanks for the input and normalization!
Before I quit my job I had this picture of a perfect waldorf house, well-behaved massively-creative finger-knitting little children, a smooth clean school schedule, etc. While we are pretty good at creating a calm atmosphere for school, we're already very outdoors and thoughtful, and he's a great learner...somedays I feel like we're just a cleaning, cooking, schooling, playing, nursing, cleaning, schooling...oh, its dinner already type family.

I've always heard it takes 6 months to get comfortable in a new job, a year to really know it and 2 years to get GOOD. I guess this is the same.

Thanks ladies!!!

stephcrouse 01-30-2013 07:02 PM

Re: How long did it take you to get "good" at this?
 
I am not sure I will ever get good at it! I know I lack the energy, attention, organizational skills, and possibly knowledge it takes to plan and execute a full school year that would rival our public schools this year. I don't know if things will ever get better!?

Art mama 01-30-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephcrouse
I am not sure I will ever get good at it! I know I lack the energy, attention, organizational skills, and possibly knowledge it takes to plan and execute a full school year that would rival our public schools this year. I don't know if things will ever get better!?

I'm trying to get it out of my head that I have to rival public school...it's helping me relax a lot and we actually accomplish more. I'm having to deprogram my daughter from the way public school works too. She was in two years of preschool plus kindergarten and 7 weeks of second grade. It's been a huge change for both of us!

fawnlovesjasper 01-31-2013 05:15 AM

Re: How long did it take you to get "good" at this?
 
We are supposed to get "good" at this? Gosh, I have been doing this for 7 years, and I'm still always learning how to make "it" work each day. I think the most important thing in being a good homeschooler is to always be prepared to change everything at any second if it's not working (and to be wise enough to see when it isn't). Every kid is different, and the way they learn is different and can even change from day to day. For example, my kids would loath a Waldorf style education (and from experience they don't like anything literature based), they like videos, color, and even workbooks. Tomorrow though, they may be begging for something that looks a lot like Charlotte Mason.

Just relax and have fun, you are doing fine :-)

Art mama 01-31-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper
We are supposed to get "good" at this? Gosh, I have been doing this for 7 years, and I'm still always learning how to make "it" work each day. I think the most important thing in being a good homeschooler is to always be prepared to change everything at any second if it's not working (and to be wise enough to see when it isn't). Every kid is different, and the way they learn is different and can even change from day to day. For example, my kids would loath a Waldorf style education (and from experience they don't like anything literature based), they like videos, color, and even workbooks. Tomorrow though, they may be begging for something that looks a lot like Charlotte Mason.

Just relax and have fun, you are doing fine :-)

Love this! Makes me feel more normal about how things are going.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors