Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   EBFing Question! 4 Month Fussies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486420)

UrbanGirl 01-28-2013 07:09 PM

EBFing Question! 4 Month Fussies?

Hey Mama's! Thanks for checking out my post! I have a few questions for you experienced EBF'ers! :-)

My daughter will be 5 months on Sunday and the past couple weeks I feel as though my milk supply has gone down - I have been pumping in the evening after she nurses to get my breasts to produce more milk. I use to pump upwards of 3 ounces during a 10 minute period and now I barely get an ounce. Pumping has helped as my breasts wouldn't even have enough for her by evening time when it was time for her bed!

She has also been acting weird while nursing. During letdown she will pull off and cry, she will sometimes refuse to nurse on a side (to point the point where she will scream until I put her on the other side) and I feel like she doesn't nurse near as long as she used too - only 5 minutes now when she would nurse for 20 minutes.

Is this something that happens normally? I have read about the 4 month fussies and I'm wondering if this might be related?

Thank you so much for your time and any advice/input! :-)

crunchymom2b 01-28-2013 09:25 PM

Re: EBFing Question! 4 Month Fussies?

not sure but my 4month old has been acting very similar

1healthylady 01-29-2013 08:55 AM

I'm no more experienced than you, DS will be 5 mos on Saturday. I was able to increase my supply while pumping and working full time. I pump in the am with my manual pump before feeding her, 2 pump breaks at work, and then I try to pump again when I get home while she's napping and then feed her afterward. I've seen a huge increase in my supply doing this. I think getting 'empty' and then nursing has stimulated more milk.

She's been really fussy lately too, but she also had RSV last week and now her gums are swollen from teething. I got some teething tablets last night and the 3 times I've given them to her right before nursing and it's gone so much better. It's like I have my baby back again. Check on the teeth. :)

Hopefully someone more experienced can give us all more advice.

From the phone.

l_Kimmie_l 01-29-2013 09:20 AM

By 4 months my breasts had regulated and I no longer felt as full or pumped much extra milk. You could try fenugreek if you really feel like your supply is declining. The pull off at let down could be that it is just too forceful for her. You could hand express or pump first to help or just reattach her and hope she gets used to it. Sounds like she has a boob preferance, could be that side is more comfortable to lay for or has a lighter let down. It is normal. All but one of mine was like that. It was to the point that my left boob was considerably larger than my right and produced a ton of milk...LOL!

Most babies by 4 months start to become very efficient nursers and will eat in about 5 - 10 min per side. My son only nursed 5 min per side and often only one side per session at 4 months on. He is 9 1/2 months now and still does.

UrbanGirl 01-29-2013 10:50 AM

Thanks for your input mama's! It's great to hear that it's something that seems pretty normal. Kimmie - I do think it is because of my fast let down - I have been paying attention and I don't think she can handle it. The only issue is after she pulls off - she does not want to go back on - she just screams so I put her on the other side and then pump the side she didn't finish nursing on. She definitely seems to have a boob preference! haha..