Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   does this exist? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486457)

Catbutt Diapers 01-28-2013 08:24 PM

does this exist?

I currently use a bucket style car seat with an integrated belt lock-off on the base, and want to know if there is such a thing in the next stage of car seats (convertible or RF). Or can you buy an easier to use locking clip? The seat needs to go in between 4 vehicles on a regular basis and none have the LATCH system.

Using a locking clip is not an option: One vehicle is my elderly parents who struggle a lot with a locking clip, and one is my MIL who only has one hand so locking clip is NOT possible.

THANKS!!

monica-m 01-28-2013 08:38 PM

Re: does this exist?

Convertible seats with built in lockoffs:
Britax convertibles
The First Years True Fit
Orbit Toddler
Lockoffs do make things easier but convertible lockoffs are not as easy to use as those in infant seats. I am very experienced with them and I don't know if I could do an install with them with only one hand. Are you sure the belts don't lock? Locking belts are in pretty much every vehicle that is MY 1997 or newer.

The Combi Coccoro does not have a built in lockoff, but it has a unique locking clip that can be installed with one hand but it has low limits.
The Combi Zeus has lockoffs as well but it's really heavy and it's a PITA to install.

ETA: I just saw that you're in Canada so ignore what I said about Combi seats as they're not available up there. The other seats I listed are available in Canada.

Catbutt Diapers 01-28-2013 08:59 PM

No, none of them have locking belts - it's really annoying! But 3 of the vehicles were never designed to have a car seat in them (a Smart Car, and two small trucks).

monica-m 01-28-2013 09:04 PM

Unless the Smart Car has a keyed lockoff, you absolutely cannot put a rear facing car seat in that vehicle. You also cannot put a car seat on a sideways facing jump seat.

If your child is forward facing, you are required by law in Canada to use the top tether.

Without more details, it doesn't sound like your child can ride safely in any of the vehicles you described.

Catbutt Diapers 01-28-2013 09:17 PM

Unless someone wants to buy me a new car, she has to go in the Smart car and the trucks. The Smart Car does have the tether anchor, just no LATCH system. It sucks, but that is life :(

Catbutt Diapers 01-28-2013 09:24 PM

Hmmm, I can't find where sells the Orbit or First Years ones, and we can't afford a Britax. This might take some extra hunting...

jaelynsmommy61607 01-28-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers (Post 16219524)
Unless someone wants to buy me a new car, she has to go in the Smart car and the trucks. The Smart Car does have the tether anchor, just no LATCH system. It sucks, but that is life :(

Latch system isn't important. Its the air bag that could decapitate your infant.

monica-m 01-28-2013 09:30 PM

When I said absolutely cannot, I meant it. Airbags kill rear facing children. Your child's life is worth whatever it takes to change this situation.

Catbutt Diapers 01-28-2013 09:45 PM

The air bag is turned off when she is in the car. I'll have her FFing as soon as she is big enough, but getting a new car is not possible.

monica-m 01-28-2013 09:49 PM

The air bag is not turned off unless there is a keyed switch. Sensors are not to be trusted under any circumstances. It is also not at all safe to forward face a 1 year old.

I don't think you understand how dangerous this is. Someone could pull out in front of you tomorrow and a small electrical malfunction could cost you your baby.