Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Carseat in low speed accident while not in use (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486494)

Sarah-B 01-28-2013 11:17 PM

Carseat in low speed accident while not in use

My friend has twin 3.5 yr old girls & was in an accident going about 10mph the girls were at home. Insurance paid for new seats so she got them anyway. She said I can have the 2 others (one for each vehicle)
They are by britax (not sure the exact model) & cost way more than we can afford

Here is my question should I get them, from her and use them? Or by one from Costco that is brand new?

Or is there a way to test them to see if they are safe?

Thx

MamaWillow 01-28-2013 11:30 PM

Re: Carseat in low speed accident while not in use

Here is what Britax has to say about using carseats after a crash:

Q. Can I continue to use my child seat after it has been involved in a crash?
A. BRITAX recommends that the use of a child seat be discontinued if it has been in a moderate to severe crash. We further advise of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) position that it is not necessary to replace a child seat after a minor crash.

A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site; AND
The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged; AND
There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants; AND
The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
There is no visible damage to the child seat.

I would think if it meets all those parameters it is safe to use.

Aalt 01-31-2013 09:22 AM

Definitely decline if the airbags deployed. I just had this experience. They let out horrible toxic smelling fumes. I had to trash everything in the car, even the stroller in the trunk.

imjustjessa 01-31-2013 04:03 PM

Personally, I would not be comfortable with it. It does sound like the "crash" met Britax's/NHTSA's guidelines to be used again, but I wouldn't be comfortable with putting my children in a seat that I didn't know the exact history of. (Has she ever washed the harness, or soaked it in water? Has she ever flown and checked the seat?)

Britax seats probably were the "safest seat" 10-15 years ago due to some of their technology. Now? They're just as safe as every other seat out there, with a lot more bells and whistles. I'd continue using my own seats, unless if my children had outgrown them. (Also, if your children are tall, Britax seats are outgrown quicker than other seats, and don't offer a lot of RF leg room.)

EDIT - I just re-read your initial post. All car seats pass the same tests. It's a pass/fail system. The 40 dollar Cosco Scerena(sp) is just as safe as the Britax. The Britax has a lot more bells and whistles, but both seats will protect your child in the event of an accident.

Sarah-B 02-01-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaWillow
Here is what Britax has to say about using carseats after a crash:

Q. Can I continue to use my child seat after it has been involved in a crash?
A. BRITAX recommends that the use of a child seat be discontinued if it has been in a moderate to severe crash. We further advise of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) position that it is not necessary to replace a child seat after a minor crash.

A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site; AND
The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged; AND
There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants; AND
The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
There is no visible damage to the child seat.

I would think if it meets all those parameters it is safe to use.

Thanks for this info :)

Sarah-B 02-01-2013 01:39 AM

Thanks all for your input. I still feel torn because it is still an usable seat according to the britax list a pp put on here
We would get 2 of them (one for each vehicle ) since she has twins.

I still can't decide!!

Mom2Connor 02-01-2013 08:44 AM

Honestly, if I trusted the friend to be able to accurately and honestly answer the Britax questions, I would be comfortable using them.

But to be honest, I do think seats have varying quality safety. Passing minimum standards does not mean they all pass equally. There ARE stats on things like head excursion, etc so if's not true that we "don't know which ones are better."

Sarah-B 02-01-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
Honestly, if I trusted the friend to be able to accurately and honestly answer the Britax questions, I would be comfortable using them.

But to be honest, I do think seats have varying quality safety. Passing minimum standards does not mean they all pass equally. There ARE stats on things like head excursion, etc so if's not true that we "don't know which ones are better."

This is great advise I will give her the questions to answer!! Also it makes sense what you said. I am wondering which cars seats you have ?

Mom2Connor 02-02-2013 06:46 AM

We have a graco snugride 35, britax marathon 70 and first years true fit.

DS2 will go into the SR35 and when he's ready for the britax, DS1 will go into a frontier 85.

The true fit has been DHs seat and my moms seat for very occasional use.

mommabritt 02-02-2013 07:20 AM

If I already had seats to use, I might decline and suggest she donate them to a local shelter or goodwill or the like. Those places could use a safe (not expired) seat for a change. If your in need of seats, I'd take them. I'd trust a close friend to keep my children's safety in mind.

I was in a low speed 'accident' (less than 10mph) years ago and had DS1 infant seat in the car, unoccupied. I did have to report the accident and my insurance asked if there were carseats in the vehicle. I told them them there was and they issued me a check for a replacement, no questions asked. Im sure t was a liability issue but I took and upgraded what we had and saved he bucket for backup. ;)