Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   No on demand nursing after teeth??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486529)

crunchymom2b 01-29-2013 06:11 AM

No on demand nursing after teeth???

I get these weekly e-mails from our hospital and was a little surprised when I read this gem:

"Donít let your baby fall asleep with a bottle in his mouth, as tooth decay can begin even in early infancy. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentists also recommends avoiding on-demand (non-scheduled) breastfeeding after the first tooth comes in to prevent decay. (Do continue nursing, however!) If you give your child juice, give it in a sippy cup, not in a bottle."

I have never heard this. Now, I know the problems falling asleep with a bottle can cause as we made that mistake with DS1 and he already has cavities at 3. But does breastfeeding do the same? And what does demand nursing have to do with it? Should they say stop night feeding instead if that's the goal (not to fall asleep while/after eating)? I'm just confused.

qsefthuko 01-29-2013 07:12 AM

Re: No on demand nursing after teeth???

The theory I believe is that breastfed babies can have the same issues as a bottle fed baby. My theory is if this was so we would have hundreds of years of anecdotal evidence of this. Instead it is a relatively new phenomena coinciding with increased bottle feeding and the early introduction of solids. Remember breastmilk has antibacterial qualities. It can even be applied to an infected eye to help cure it. It just does not make sense it does not work the same in the mouth.

abunchoflemons 01-29-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 16220318)
The theory I believe is that breastfed babies can have the same issues as a bottle fed baby. My theory is if this was so we would have hundreds of years of anecdotal evidence of this. Instead it is a relatively new phenomena coinciding with increased bottle feeding and the early introduction of solids. Remember breastmilk has antibacterial qualities. It can even be applied to an infected eye to help cure it. It just does not make sense it does not work the same in the mouth.

I agree. I have heard breast milk helping cancer patients on iv...... so not sure why they would say breastfeeding would be bad. I know people that bfed til 3plus yrs of age.....

l_Kimmie_l 01-29-2013 09:25 AM

My son feeds on demand with 4 teeth. All you need to do is clean their teeth a few times per day. Yes breastmilk has sugar in it, but it does not always sit in baby's mouth all night like formula can dripping from a bottle. My little guy naps with a nipple in his mouth and we have no issues. I just wipe his teeth down with a baby tooth brush through out the day.

Connor 01-29-2013 08:34 PM

Breastmilk is good for CLEAN teeth. Breastmilk mixed with food can lead to tooth decay. :)

Mom2jandb 01-29-2013 08:41 PM

FWIW, DD1 was an all night nurser until over the age of two years. She's 3.5 now and no cavities :)

mozartswannabe 01-30-2013 04:58 PM

It doesn't make any sense to me. I would just be sure to regularly clean LO's mouth. Breastmilk does have a lot of sugars so it's better to be safe than sorry, but I can't see what teeth have to do with BFing on demand.

I don't take any of what doctors say too seriously if it's something they have recently come up with since they change their minds on what best with every generation (sometimes more!). I prefer to just go with my instincts,

seacat 01-30-2013 05:08 PM

I've seen this, but the key words that were in the one that I saw and this one were "at night". My ped recommends night weaning too due to teeth decay after the first tooth arrives. Easier said than done. My 14 month is an all night nurser and I like my sleep so we brush in the AM and the PM, but he still nurses at night.

mama2tommy 01-31-2013 12:26 PM

Difference is, milk generally doesn't continue to drip into the baby's mouth if the baby isn't sucking, like it would with a bottle.

This is misguided information.

Humans are really meant to BF until 5-7 years old - that's the way it was long ago, and the way it still is in many under-developed nations (and some still BF this long in the US). My DS2 decided to wean himself at 3 years, and the night time nursing was the last to go...he has PERFECT teeth.

Connor 02-01-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seacat
I've seen this, but the key words that were in the one that I saw and this one were "at night". My ped recommends night weaning too due to teeth decay after the first tooth arrives. Easier said than done. My 14 month is an all night nurser and I like my sleep so we brush in the AM and the PM, but he still nurses at night.

Breastmilk is actually beneficial for teeth as long as it isn't mixed with food particles. So brushing before night nursing is totally fine! :)