Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Does this sound like pink eye? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486560)

tuckergirl 01-29-2013 08:30 AM

Does this sound like pink eye?

So a friend's little girl had a very gunky eye and her mom kept her home for awhile thinking it was pink eye, but later figured it was just part of a cold because it didn't act like pink eye. Shortly after that my DD started having discharge from her eye. I let her go to school because her eyes weren't red at all and it was both sides, so I figured it was just a cold with some sinus interaction. I've been putting breastmilk in her eyes (yay for nursing the baby and having it available!) And it does seem to be helping somewhat.

Now my friend is saying her son (older, same age as my DD) has it and his is classic pink eye symptoms. DD is at school right now, since I thought it was cold/sinus crap, so I can't take a picture. Does it sound like pink eye? Even without the redness and it being both sides? If it is, I'm going to feel SO guilty for sending her to school!! I'm planning on running to the health food store after the baby's nap to pick up some colloidal silver, cause I'd like to avoid antibiotics if we can.

abunchoflemons 01-29-2013 08:48 AM

Re: Does this sound like pink eye?

Yes sounds like pink eye. Any discharge a more knowledgeable Nurse told me anything with eye usually is pink eye esp like ur friend's first bout. One told me told me it was something else likejust eye infection and nothing needed..but ended up getting worse. Go get something for pink eye or what not. If just dust then probably not but sounds like it probably is though. More knowledgeable nurse said pink eye is very contageous and kids usually don't wash well enough & then touch eyes is how u get pink eye. Ours wasn't really pink either but have seen pink eye really pink & puffy.....

mibarra 01-29-2013 08:51 AM

"Pink eye" is kind of a generic term used for several different eye issues. DD2 almost always ends up with an eye infection as well when she has bad sinus stuff and it never goes away without eye drops for us. :)

badmisterkitty 01-29-2013 09:23 AM

I've had success just calling the doctor's office and getting a prescription without being seen. Sounds like pink eye, esp if more than just one kid has it.

tuckergirl 01-29-2013 10:37 AM

Thanks, ladies. I kind of figured it was after the new info this morning. I feel really guilty sending her to school! Guess she'll be home tomorrow.

I really don't want to call in a script if I can help it. I try to avoid antibiotics when there's any other choice. I just picked up some colloidal silver from the health store so we'll start that when she gets home.

escapethevillage 01-29-2013 12:41 PM

Yes. Any boogers in the eye would be contagious to others.

*off subject* I had a jerky daycare dad tell me "Well, I've decided not to medicate her". So, I said "Then I'll see you in a week or so". He was not pleased. I think he assumed I'd let her come anyway, since "he decided".

EmilytheStrange 01-29-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escapethevillage (Post 16221661)
*off subject* I had a jerky daycare dad tell me "Well, I've decided not to medicate her". So, I said "Then I'll see you in a week or so". He was not pleased. I think he assumed I'd let her come anyway, since "he decided".

ugh.. as someone who was told she almost lost her eyesight due to eye infections, I cannot imagine someone making that decision for another human being - let's just not do anything! yay! let's hope there's no permanent damage like the ulcer scars I now have on my corneas!

escapethevillage 01-29-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 16222279)
ugh.. as someone who was told she almost lost her eyesight due to eye infections, I cannot imagine someone making that decision for another human being - let's just not do anything! yay! let's hope there's no permanent damage like the ulcer scars I now have on my corneas!

I could understand if he was honestly interested in her well being. But, he was angry because the judge ordered him to pay all medical bills, so he is on a mission to make sure his kids never create any medical bills for him...but, after four days of her eyes being glued shut every morning, he relented.

Guess who took himself to the doctor IMMEDIATELY when he felt like he was getting pink eye though?

tuckergirl 01-30-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escapethevillage (Post 16221661)
Yes. Any boogers in the eye would be contagious to others.

That's just rotten! If DD's had looked like what I recognized as pink eye, instead of looking like sinus stuff, she'd have been home immediately! I had every expectation of keeping her home today, but several doses of colloidal silver last night and she woke up clear this morning! And really wanted to go to school.

Course, now DS1's eye looks a little goopy so now he's getting the silver to head it off at the pass. Unfortunately it's harder to get the drops into a 2 year old's eye than a 5 year old's! He may end up having to take it orally.

lizgrace07 01-30-2013 04:45 PM

Oh yeah, bacterial pink eye. Such a pain in the butt! We had it go through our house recently. We finally got rid of it by taking grapefruit seed extract (diluted in apple juice) for a few days. We all took it (those with symptoms and those without) to stop the spreading madness. Good luck!