Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   HELP me with stomac flu please! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486603)

firststella 01-29-2013 10:31 AM

HELP me with stomac flu please!

It's the first time one of my kids has a stomac flu. DD1 is 3yo, vomits even the two sips of hot chocolate she had for breakfast. No diarrhea. No fever. Hasn't peed since this morning (so less than two hours ago)
I have the oral rehydration solution for her (she had two sips).
Is there something else I should be doing or giving her? When should i be worried (hasnt peed for how many hours?) Thank you!

NotLad 01-29-2013 11:56 AM

Re: HELP me with stomac flu please!

The doc gave us zofran to prevent dehydration.

firststella 01-29-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotLad
The doc gave us zofran to prevent dehydration.

Wouw! That's a strong drug, isn't it? Did you do anything else?

sillymama 01-29-2013 01:18 PM

I believe if she goes longer than 24 hours with wetting there is cause for concern. You can try ice chips, water, or pedialite, just sips at first. You can get dissolvable zofran or phenergan from the ped to help with the throwing up.

firststella 01-29-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillymama
I believe if she goes longer than 24 hours with wetting there is cause for concern. You can try ice chips, water, or pedialite, just sips at first. You can get dissolvable zofran or phenergan from the ped to help with the throwing up.

Thank you. She is still sleeping so as soon as se wakes up we will try pedialyte again. Thank you for your advice!

MsGiggles 01-29-2013 01:23 PM

My 2.5 yr old DD just went through 4 days of vomiting (even just a few sips of water would cause vomiting), but because she didn't have diarrhea and continued to try to drink, she didn't get dehydrated! I learned a lot from this experience:

plain water may be best because it is absorbed right through the skin in the mouth & walls of the stomach

track how much liquid is going in and roughly how much is being vomited (gross, but helpful knowledge & something drs might want to know if you have to bring them in)

look for 3-4 pee dipes per day

avoid dairy (clear liquids only)

if they seem to be rebounding, offer bland carbs (toast, mashed potatoes, banana, plain crackers) first, then progress to proteins, etc. The BRAT diet may not be needed, but probably won't hurt.

We talked to a health professional after 48 hours & saw one after 72hrs, but no treatment was given. Thankfully the vomiting ceased after ~80hrs!

From my understanding, Zofran, or other anti-emetics, should be avoided unless required for re-hydration as the system should be allowed to void itself.

rchamberlain 01-29-2013 01:24 PM

My 7 yr old daughter had this yesterday - couldn't keep down water and was vomiting for over 12 hours. Doctor said only liquids for 24 hours, but not water. Jell-o, ginger ale with the bubbles stirred out, canned peaches in heavy syrup, and popsicles. Pedialyte popsicles are great. After 24 hours, give them some toast with a bit of jam or crackers. If they keep it down for an hour, then give them a bit more.

They did suggest only 2 oz. of liquid per hour if they can't keep anything down. If there's no diarrhea all day, you don't have to worry about dehydration yet.

firststella 01-29-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsGiggles

if they seem to be rebounding, offer bland carbs (toast, mashed potatoes, banana, plain crackers) first, then progress to proteins, etc. The BRAT diet may not be needed, but probably won't hurt.

From my understanding, Zofran, or other anti-emetics, should be avoided unless required for re-hydration as the system should be allowed to void itself.

Yes that is what I know about zofran too. I want to avoid to ask for meds.
What do you mean by BRAT diet? (I'm not native English speaker and I never heard about that term in French either)

Celeste 01-29-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firststella (Post 16221672)

Wouw! That's a strong drug, isn't it? Did you do anything else?

It's safe for young kids, and pregnant women. We always have some on hand and don't hesitate to give it to our kids. Dh prescribes it fairly regularly to people with a stomach bug.

bluedaisyma 01-29-2013 01:46 PM

my son has had it since LAST Sunday. He is 2 1/2 and he also has diarrhea. He hasn't puked for 2 days, hasn't had diarrhea for 24 hrs (he has been relapsing about once a day). His pee is still pale yellow, his skin doesn't tent, etc, so I know he's not dehydrated. I "made" an electrolyte solution with orange juice, fresh lemons, water and some salt and the days he was puking a lot, he wanted to drink that. Now he just wants hot chocolate and hot tea. I know they say bland diet but trying to force a starving 2 yr old to only have a banana or w/e doesn't work for me. Whatever his body wants, I give him bc he was weak. Today he has eaten (and kept in) some Annie's bunny fruit snacks, some oj and hot chocolate. He will get up and run around, play, joke around and then exhaust himself.