Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2yo DD Touching Lady Parts. . (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486608)

Amjohnstone32 01-29-2013 11:40 AM

2yo DD Touching Lady Parts. .

I am just curious as to the normalcy of this. She doesn't when she gets tired. And has been doing it since she was about 1 1/2. I told her no, and say that is something that ladies don't do. And of course her being two, she throws a bug fat fit.

I just need some direction as far as what has worked for other people, and maybe what to say? Or do for that matter.

EDIT: I tell her ladies don't do that in public, it's a private thing. I just wanted advice. Not "shame on you" for wondering what to do.

lilannies mama 01-29-2013 11:46 AM

My dd is 18 months & when she's tired she scoots like she's rubbing on her bed. I try to tell her no or stop her thinking she will realize its a no no but she just starts again til she falls asleep. So mines doing it to but I have no clue how to make her stop. I'm hoping its just a phase & will pass. If you figure something out lmk. I'd like to see
What other mamas say.

Tris 01-29-2013 11:47 AM

Re: 2yo DD Touching Lady Parts. .

Completely normal. I don't teach them no, because IMO it's perfectly natural to want to explore your own body, but I do redirect and make sure it's clear they only do it in their room or during their alone time.

Mama*Kim 01-29-2013 11:48 AM

Totally normal. It feels good. At her age, its not a sexual thing. It's no more "intimate" than me running my fingers through my hair when I'm tired. It's just a comfort thing. However, because its a private part of her body, I would encourage her to do it in her room when she's alone. DS1 used to touch himself a lot around that age. We just reminded him that was a private thing. Most of the time, he just quit. Once in a while, he'd retreat to his room. I haven't seen him do it in at least a year and don't think he's doing it anymore.

GirlFriday13th 01-29-2013 11:48 AM

It's totally normal and I think it's important not to make them feel ashamed about exploring their bodies. I have boys and I just tell them playing with their penis is something they should do privately. Generally they're not motivated enough to go upstairs to their room and leave whatever fun thing is going on so they take their hands out of thier pants. But at some point I imagine that will change.

bigmamakelsey 01-29-2013 11:48 AM

Honestly, I think it's just a stage. I wouldn't discourage it as long as you're in the privacy of your own home. Teaching her that it's not ladylike to touch her genitals might make her uncomfortable with her body.

Mommyto2B2G 01-29-2013 11:52 AM

It is normal and I don't tell my children no either. I say to my dd who still gets caught doing it (at the worst times) to please take her hands out of her pants and go to her room for personal time if she wants to do that. I pretty much told her that those are her special parts and everyone has them but they are for you to touch only unless mommy or daddy need to help you clean yourself. No one else is suppose to touch you there and to tell a me right away if anyone ever does or tries to because it is so special. I told her if she feels like she wants to touch it she has to go in her room alone for alone time. My dd is 6 though.

kushie tushie 01-29-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16221192)
Completely normal. I don't teach them no, because IMO it's perfectly natural to want to explore your own body, but I do redirect and make sure it's clear they only do it in their room or during their alone time.

This. We just teach the right time to do it. I would not tell them no, dirty or not lady like. That is how body complexes are created.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

DalesWidda 01-29-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey (Post 16221204)
Honestly, I think it's just a stage. I wouldn't discourage it as long as you're in the privacy of your own home. Teaching her that it's not ladylike to touch her genitals might make her uncomfortable with her body.

So when do you grow out of "the stage"?:blush::blush:

LOL J/K but really OP, I would just tell her to do it in her room in private. It's totally normal and since it IS something ladies do I wouldn't tell her that she shouldn't do it.

soonerfan 01-29-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amjohnstone32
I am just curious as to the normalcy of this. She doesn't when she gets tired. And has been doing it since she was about 1 1/2. I told her no, and say that is something that ladies don't do. And of course her being two, she throws a bug fat fit.

I just need some direction as far as what has worked for other people, and maybe what to say? Or do for that matter.

Why would you tell her ladies don't do that? Ladies (and gentlemen) absolutely do this. Instead of shaming the act, which is a natural, normal act, and creating a lifelong issue with sexuality, why not teach appropriate boundaries? For our kids, that type of touching is only ok if they are alone in their rooms or bathroom.