Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Looking for reviews on the McRuffy curriculum & Math U See... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486614)

Luvingmy4boys 01-29-2013 11:03 AM

Looking for reviews on the McRuffy curriculum & Math U See...

Does anyone here use McRuffy as their main curriculum? Have you used it and don't like it? I'd love to hear what you do and don't like about it. I'm considering it for the first grade level.

I'm also intrigued at the Math U See approach but when I watch the videos, I see a very different approach to learning math that could possibly be a little confusing and I'm wondering if it may actually slow down learning if you've already starting teaching Math the traditional way or even vice versa from homeschool to public school. I like the manuipulative approach to learning math though. Tell me what you do and don't like about Math U See as well too.

Thanks in advance!

tallanvor 01-29-2013 11:29 AM

Re: Looking for reviews on the McRuffy curriculum & Math U See...

I think confusion to Math-U-See's way of teaching would depend on what level you are switching over at. We love it, but it's all we've ever used.

fawnlovesjasper 01-29-2013 05:13 PM

I use McRuffy Math, my kids really really love it!!!! I have one who is "mathy" and one who is not. My non-mathy kid actually "gets it" with McRuffy, she didn't with anything else we tried (which was pretty much all of the maths out there.. Saxon, MUS, Singapore, Math Mammoth). My mathy kid loves that it doesn't bog him down with a ton of extra problems every day. It has just enough problems in the workbook to show that they "get it", and it's spiral, so you will see the same kind of problems for a while... then you will see that type come back later in the book to keep it fresh in their minds. There is a ton of hands on activities, actually pretty much every day (some days we skip them if I know they have grasped the concept), and they are always available to the kids to do their work if they need them. There is lots of games built into the curriculum, usually every other Friday is a game day. The lessons are not long and drawn out, the teacher manual is "lightly scripted", meaning it tells you what to say and how to explain everything without making you feel like you don't have a brain. Brian at McRuffy (the author) is always very quick to reply whenever I have emailed him, and is very helpful and nice.

I can not say enough good things about McRuffy. It's one of those little known gems. Definately the best math I have layed my hands on!!

ETA... MUS was very confusing to me, it made it very hard for me to explain it to my kids.

Luvingmy4boys 01-29-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper (Post 16222776)
I use McRuffy Math, my kids really really love it!!!! I have one who is "mathy" and one who is not. My non-mathy kid actually "gets it" with McRuffy, she didn't with anything else we tried (which was pretty much all of the maths out there.. Saxon, MUS, Singapore, Math Mammoth). My mathy kid loves that it doesn't bog him down with a ton of extra problems every day. It has just enough problems in the workbook to show that they "get it", and it's spiral, so you will see the same kind of problems for a while... then you will see that type come back later in the book to keep it fresh in their minds. There is a ton of hands on activities, actually pretty much every day (some days we skip them if I know they have grasped the concept), and they are always available to the kids to do their work if they need them. There is lots of games built into the curriculum, usually every other Friday is a game day. The lessons are not long and drawn out, the teacher manual is "lightly scripted", meaning it tells you what to say and how to explain everything without making you feel like you don't have a brain. Brian at McRuffy (the author) is always very quick to reply whenever I have emailed him, and is very helpful and nice.

I can not say enough good things about McRuffy. It's one of those little known gems. Definately the best math I have layed my hands on!!

ETA... MUS was very confusing to me, it made it very hard for me to explain it to my kids.

The McRuffy Math sounds like it could work as a match for my boys especially with the games. I also have one that likes and gets math and the other isn't as quick but will pick it up with demonstrations and repetitive practice. Does the Teacher's Manual give you the answers to the problems?

Have you used any other of the McRuffy curriculums for LA or Science?

fawnlovesjasper 01-29-2013 07:10 PM

From 1st grade on, yes they are in your manual. Now, I will warn you there are some typos in the manual. I have emailed Brian with each one I found and he promises to fix them in new printings so for all I know they are gone but even if they aren't, it's easy to tell what was meant. Usually they seem to be like something he transfered from the old black and white version but didn't update every word. They haven't bothered me at all. We are just getting ready to move up to 2nd and 1st in the next few weeks. We will stick with it until we "max out" of them then go to teaching textbooks.

Edited to fix my 500 typos... darn tablet lol

fawnlovesjasper 01-29-2013 07:13 PM

I used both the others briefly.. loved them actually but we already had science going on with my oldest and the LA had more meat to it than I wanted at the K/1st grade levels... I simply wanted phonics and was stressing myself out with the amount of information in McRuffy.

Luvingmy4boys 01-29-2013 07:16 PM

Thanks for the info!

Luvingmy4boys 02-05-2013 08:17 AM

Anyone else use these?