Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Snaps or aplix in this situation? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486615)

FernHollow 01-29-2013 11:03 AM

Snaps or aplix in this situation?

I need to swap out our BGEs for a couple daypacks of Flip covers with the new organic flat inserts when they are released. I am currently using mostly flats under wool soakers at home and the BGEs for outings and DH to use. I am sick of having to run the dryer a second cycle for just the BGEs after the flats, wipes and doublers are completely dry. We have remedied ds' s issues with PUL (it was a detergent issue) and I want to fully switch to just flats mostly padfolded, Flips and a couple soakers for airing out time. I am buying just for my almost 18 mo and need these covers to last until around age 3 (seems to be the magic PLing age for my boys). I don't want to have to replace them and they will only be used on him and then either tossed or given away at that point.

I am leaning towards aplix because it is faster and gives a better fit and is easier for helpers to change him, but I am not sure they will last 18 months. I would have a stash of 8 Flips, 16 organic flip flats, 12 GMD flats and 2 soakers for full time including nights. I will likely hang dry covers. I do like how snaps stay looking new though, so I am undecided. I have a lot going on in my life right now and just need diapers to be easy and not have to think about buying, selling or taking extra care of them. Which would you go with? It really needs to be either one of another, a streamlined stash works best for our household.

dagmomma 01-29-2013 11:12 AM

Re: Snaps or aplix in this situation?

I am probably going to go with snaps even though aplix fits better. I am getting a handful of flips that I want to last until dd and dd2 are pled. My snap flips that I got when the flips first came out look better than the aplix flips I got last yr around this time.

boysniris 01-29-2013 11:17 AM

I'd go for snaps. The fit may not be totally perfect, but I can't stand curled aplix. My issue w/the aplix on Flips is that the tab sticks out rather than be completely sewn onto fabric. I just don't like that look and it seems less durable to me.

I have three large fleece DryBees with hook/loop and it doesn't look too bad to me. We've used them as nighttime pockets for about 2 1/2 years, and I almost always allowed them to air dry. The hook/loop still works fine, although probably not as well as when they were new. It's completely attached to the fabric though, no unreinforced parts stick out. I think that makes a difference.

rooster2012 01-29-2013 12:23 PM

I guess I'll be the outlier here. I know everyone like snaps because of their durability, but if you only need them for one child for a year and a half, I definitely vote hook and look. I have hook and loop on all my flips an to be honest, love the simplicity and fit so much better :-)

ServingHim 01-29-2013 12:28 PM

I agree with the pp. get aplix since you only need them for 1 child.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum

Pixi6s 01-29-2013 12:38 PM

I prefer aplix, BG aplix is pretty good. I think it might be tight but could last 18m (though i may be close). Drying the covers in the dryer occasionally can help tighten up the aplix hooks. I would recommend doing that every so often (not necessary a full cycle needed if you can remember to take them out).

Also if the aplix does start to give out, don't they have the same velcro tabs as the BG 4.0s? you could spend $8 on the refresher kits and replace the velcro if its needed.

that'd be my vote.

alaskamum 01-29-2013 01:49 PM

If you like aplix, get the aplix. As far as wearing them out...worry about that bridge when you get there!

Honestly, I have never thrown out a cover b/c of aplix, it's always b/c the PUL got snagged on something in the washer, which you won't have to worry about if you have a front loader.

There are still Sweet and Noodle aplix flips (seconds) on Cotton Babies.com for $7, fyi. And they have all the regular aplix colors on sale 2 for $20 as well.