Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Can this be done? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486635)

kushie tushie 01-29-2013 11:50 AM

Can this be done?

DS is in a toddler bed. Hes almost 3 and has been in a toddler bed for a year/ year and a half now. He does great in his bed. He wakes up screaming/ crying.... always has. He also takes a while to fall alseep but isnt super noisy while falling asleep.

I'm due in the next few weeks and really want to get DD sleeping arrangement more concrete before the baby gets here. Right now she sleeping in a pack in play in the office. She either goes straight to sleep or fights it. She only really fights it when shes sick or having another issue. She sleeps the whole night through and really is a great sleeper.

I want to put her in DS's room in a toddler bed as well. That way I can bring the pack and play down stairs for the new baby to nap in.

So how do you think it can work? Can a 3yr old and a 19mo share a room while they are both in toddler beds? Any advice would be great :)

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

badmisterkitty 01-29-2013 12:27 PM

Re: Can this be done?

Sure! Try it and see. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work, but in the grand scheme of things, it probably will, even if there are road bumps. How far is your room from theirs?

Our kids are same sex, so we put a full size bed up against the wall and put the older one on the outside. We had a bed rail for awhile, too, I think.

raymark 01-29-2013 12:33 PM

My twins have always shared a room, but I couldn't imagine giving a new roommate to or taking a roommate away from either of them in the toddler/preschool ages. Any major change to their sleep routine would wreck havoc for months.

kushie tushie 01-29-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmisterkitty
Sure! Try it and see. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work, but in the grand scheme of things, it probably will, even if there are road bumps. How far is your room from theirs?

Our kids are same sex, so we put a full size bed up against the wall and put the older one on the outside. We had a bed rail for awhile, too, I think.

Our room is right down the hall.... Maybe 20-30ft?

kushie tushie 01-29-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymark
My twins have always shared a room, but I couldn't imagine giving a new roommate to or taking a roommate away from either of them in the toddler/preschool ages. Any major change to their sleep routine would wreck havoc for months.

But your talking about twins. I mean there are families with 3/4 or more kids who live in small house with not enough bedrooms for each kid. What do they do... Put a different kid in every corner of the house....

When is the best time to introduce a roommate?

Green Decals 01-29-2013 12:59 PM

My boys share a bed, just try it and see! Maybe you can move the pack and play in there and transition her to the room sharing before transitioning her to a new bed, so the change is more subtle.

BSWmama 01-29-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie (Post 16221705)
But your talking about twins. I mean there are families with 3/4 or more kids who live in small house with not enough bedrooms for each kid. What do they do... Put a different kid in every corner of the house....

When is the best time to introduce a roommate?

Yeah, there has to be a way. Are they at an age where you can talk to them about it, and get them psyched up for sharing a room? Do they go to bed and wake up at approximately the same time? I guess just read them stories in there, tuck them both in, and hope for the best! We are going to need to transition our baby to his brother's room as soon as he sleeps through the night - they will probably be 1 and 3 at that point. We are moving in to a place with only 2 bedrooms, so there really isn't much choice.

kushie tushie 01-29-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSWmama

Yeah, there has to be a way. Are they at an age where you can talk to them about it, and get them psyched up for sharing a room? Do they go to bed and wake up at approximately the same time? I guess just read them stories in there, tuck them both in, and hope for the best! We are going to need to transition our baby to his brother's room as soon as he sleeps through the night - they will probably be 1 and 3 at that point. We are moving in to a place with only 2 bedrooms, so there really isn't much choice.

Bedtime is the same but DS can be up for while just hanging out in bed. They both sleep through the night unless they have a bad dream or are sick and they both wake up roughly around the same time. I let the sleep till they wake up but it's usually around the same time.