Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   10 month old screams to get up.. switch to floor bed?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486707)

MyKzooFamily 01-29-2013 02:25 PM

10 month old screams to get up.. switch to floor bed??

My 10 month old use to just whimper that she was hungry for a bottle when she woke up, but recently, she just SCREAMS when it's bedtime, and then SCREAMS when she wants to get up in the middle of the night for a bottle. I know the difference between her hungry cry and her angry scream, and these are angry screams. She will go on FOREVER, and leaving her to scream herself to sleep doesn't work... I get a migrane, and 15 minutes later DH is getting a headache. Poor DS that is across from her is upset. We have a 10x10 room, and we have all of us in it.

I feel like she just wanted to crawl around us, and sleep with us. We have a high bed, but I've considered taking the frame off and just laying the boxspring and mattress on the floor, and putting DD's crib mattress on the floor.

But.. what if DD stays up for hours instead of going to sleep?

EmilytheStrange 01-29-2013 02:39 PM

Re: 10 month old screams to get up.. switch to floor bed??

she's 10 months.. waking up in the middle of the night to practice crawling would be considered normal. so, yeah, I think that's a great solution!

and if she's up for hours, there's really nothing you can do about it. You cannot make them sleep. DD would wake up in the middle of the night and play in her crib and I just had to let her. She didn't want to be soothed, she wanted to practice things.

most likely, once the skills are mastered, the waking up to practice will end and things will go back to normal.

Tris 01-29-2013 02:43 PM

We did floor bed for a year or so when the girls were young, despite the nice bed frame we have now we'll probably do it again. Go for it :)

MyKzooFamily 01-29-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 16222234)
she's 10 months.. waking up in the middle of the night to practice crawling would be considered normal. so, yeah, I think that's a great solution!

and if she's up for hours, there's really nothing you can do about it. You cannot make them sleep. DD would wake up in the middle of the night and play in her crib and I just had to let her. She didn't want to be soothed, she wanted to practice things.

most likely, once the skills are mastered, the waking up to practice will end and things will go back to normal.

She's trying to master walking, as she mastered crawling about 2 months ago. This is the second week she has woken up screaming, though, for no apparent reason, and then wants to get up and play.

I'd rather have her crawling all over me while I'm trying to sleep, than have her screaming 2 feet away from me while I'm trying to sleep! :)

And we have always been cosleepers, DS slept with us from 1-3, but we have a queen now instead of a king, so not much room for cosleepers. I think we will be getting a king with a little of our tax return, though. I love cosleeping, and our mattress has to be replaced to a firmer one anyways. :)

l_Kimmie_l 01-29-2013 02:58 PM

My 9 1/2 month old is only happy during night wakings standing up - his new skill - on our bed or his crib that is side carred. He screams unless we do this for hours at like 3 AM. I am hoping it is stage.

MyKzooFamily 01-29-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l (Post 16222314)
My 9 1/2 month old is only happy during night wakings standing up - his new skill - on our bed or his crib that is side carred. He screams unless we do this for hours at like 3 AM. I am hoping it is stage.

I'm very tempted to have a pack'n'play in the living room, and after feeding her her bottle, put her to sleep in that, so if she does scream, she can be left alone and scream herself to sleep. I am very nervous to try the floor bed, because DH and I can NOT go without sleep, I do a home daycare and he is our main provider, we need our sleep, while she can just nap all day if she's up all night.

l_Kimmie_l 01-29-2013 03:49 PM

We have a pack n play in our bedroom to drop ours in to play while I still rest. It is not fun to deal with no matter how cute and happy he is at 3 AM.