Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why do people hate cloth?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486881)

UVASahm 01-30-2013 07:24 AM

Why do people hate cloth?!

Exactly what the title says. There was another thread I was reading where the persons family was blaming cloth for the lack of crawling? My mil did the same thing?! She also hates his amber necklace because she says that I can't control the amount if amber being absorbed into his skin?! So strange!

Anyway, so why do you think people hate cloth and blame it for all kinds of things? Are they just not used to it?

Spunkify 01-30-2013 07:51 AM

Re: Why do people hate cloth?!

Huh, interesting. As far as crawling and cloth...the baby (Noah) we cloth diapered from birth, as in a couple hours old, walked at 9 1/2 months so... different strokes for different folks, I guess. I wonder how often that particular child is in a jumper or other similar piece of baby equipment and not on mama or on the floor.

I think it all boils down to two things. If you don't want to do something you'll find any reason to stop doing it and to justify it being "OK" to stop. If you truly want to do something you'll find a way to make it work.

nana2peach 01-30-2013 08:17 AM

Honestly, I think they are jealous. Our baby has super cute fluff in different colors and patterns and they get to change the same boring kind of diaper day after boring day. I pick an outfit and then I can pick.out the fluff and cute shoes to match... They get to put the same boring diaper on.

TheCoach'sWife 01-30-2013 08:25 AM

My mom literally laughed when I told her I was cloth diapering. She told me it would last two weeks. And then, when she saw how easy and different it was from when she did it, she jumped on the bandwagon. She (the most uncrafty person I know) even went to the fabric store to pick out new fabrics for new diapers ON HER OWN.

Kabuki24 01-30-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCoach'sWife (Post 16224517)
My mom literally laughed when I told her I was cloth diapering. She told me it would last two weeks. And then, when she saw how easy and different it was from when she did it, she jumped on the bandwagon. She (the most uncrafty person I know) even went to the fabric store to pick out new fabrics for new diapers ON HER OWN.

Bingo.

It's because people don't know that much about modern day cloth diapering until they actually get to see them in person and in action.

boysniris 01-30-2013 08:31 AM

cuz they ignant :giggle:

Pixi6s 01-30-2013 08:34 AM

I dont get the crawling thing. I son wasn't a big crawler (he went to walking quickly) but he did it on the early side. He never looked impeded to me.

People have a lot of misinformation and put down things that they don't understand. My husband recently got an all electric car and he now follows forums and such concerning it. He was telling me last night that he can't believe the bad things people say about his really nice car. The amount of misinformation out there is crazy and people often are afraid of change and things they don't understand.

abunchoflemons 01-30-2013 08:35 AM

I think of it as like any other hate...ignorance.......that's why people need to be informed on cloth and different people and like issues.

ashleyg103 01-30-2013 08:36 AM

My whole family pretty much laughed at me and a few friends thinks it would be so gross to use cloth. I dont understand it I love using cloth. My boys are 7 months old and just started crawling around so cloth hasnt restricted them at all I dont think. My family is starting to come around to it, my mom even will try to change some diapers. Thats funny about the amber necklaces, my mom and mil thought they were really cute and neat but my dad and grandmom about had a heart attack they swear they are going to strangle themselves, but I dont even think the boys know they have them on.

E_Sage 01-30-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabuki24 (Post 16224525)
Bingo.

It's because people don't know that much about modern day cloth diapering until they actually get to see them in person and in action.

Exactly! My mom is only used to old-fashioned CDs, and my only exposure to CDs was a boy I babysat who wore worn out CDs that fell off of him and my mom saying that that's how CDs are. CDs didn't seem like much of an option.