Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Bad Blood Sugar News (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487138)

littlehands 01-30-2013 07:55 PM

Bad Blood Sugar News

I had gestational diabetes for the first time with my last pregnancy, which was #6. I didn't start having issue until 30 weeks or so and was able to keep it managed very well with dietary measures. Even with my worst meals monitoring, my blood sugar never went over 199. It was usually around 150ish if I ate something that I did really bad with, like bread.

I had my first prenatal today. I am just over 12 weeks. My blood sugar was 160. :banghead: I'm still very much in the grazing stage, so I'm eating all. the. time. I had a chicken salad for lunch and then snacked on dried mangos, had a protein drink, some Doritos, and ate about 8-10 oz of fresh blueberries on the drive over. So, I'd been grazing for several hours before my appt. The number was pulled from my blood. My urine looked fine.

I've gotten pretty sick in past pregnancies, so my diet is at its absolute worst during this point in my pregnancy. I normally don't eat a lot of crap, but when I'm fighting nausea, I eat whatever I can. (Like Doritos. :P)

What does this mean? What can I expect with such bad sugar numbers this early? Anyone else had similar experiences? I have pretty average weight for how many kids I have. My starting weight was about 165-170, size 10/12.

twinpossible 01-30-2013 08:06 PM

Re: Bad Blood Sugar News

To me it sounds like the beginning of GD, how is your blood sugar when not pregnant? Have you ever monitored? My family has a history of diabetes so I have always been super aware of how I eat. The two things you ate before the draw that most likely did it was the Doritos and the protein drink (usually they have sugar). My blood sugar is 60-70 resting and 80-90 one hour after eating. If you are really serious about getting in balance then here are a few of my tricks that I just do on a daily basis,
- no white flour: eat sprouted bread only or gluten free products
- no refined sugar or corn syrup: only honey or coconut sugar or fruit sugars
- minimize processed foods to maybe once every other day if at all. (that means Doritos but that being said my first trimester I could not get enough Pringles!)
I know it is super hard in the beginning of pregnancy, so many foods make us sick that it can be difficult to find anything to eat at all. However, getting under control is important. I would see if someone you know has a blood sugar monitor and check yourself for four days in a row (fasting and one hour after two meals but change up which meals). See what your numbers look like and bring them to your OB or midwife. That's what I did instead of the typical GD test.
Good luck mama! Keep us posted :)