Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Dumb question: summer? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487145)

mom2ally06 01-30-2013 08:11 PM

Dumb question: summer?

What do you guys do with your kids during the summer? I'm talking about school aged kids. I've looked into camps and holy moly $$$!

CarrieMF 01-30-2013 08:47 PM

Re: Dumb question: summer?

I work in schools so I am home, though I will probably have to get a summer job this year. The girls will be 11, 12 & 14 so old enough to stay home by themselves, even if the 14yo gets a job.

They usually go to my parents for a week. My oldest was going to a summer camp though I don't know that she'll go this year.

Steph Ed 01-30-2013 09:10 PM

When i worked, my kids have either gone to daycare or, more recently, child care the schools provide. Maybe find a SAHM that does childcare?

I was also shocked at he price of summer camp!!!!!

mibarra 01-30-2013 09:42 PM

Many daycares offer summer programs for older kids. Or maybe family or a SAHM friend or some combination :)

meeshkasheeba 01-31-2013 06:12 AM

our school offers child care in the summer. Even with school age kids it can be used as a child care tax credit.

abunchoflemons 01-31-2013 07:04 AM

There are art classes & library stuff...... pool & just play as its time for mine to catch up with homedschool friends.

Leiiki 01-31-2013 07:10 AM

My parents sent me to the grandparents, cousins, or godparents, and (when i was older) to camp, or we'd take a family vacation for a couple weeks. I spent a lot of time at the library, aquarium, and zoo, too.

keonli 01-31-2013 08:00 AM

DH watches DS during the day, and we get lots of help from family (our parents, my nieces and nephew, etc.) The camps are very expensive, but some places offer financial aid, so be sure to ask about that. Even if they don't advertise it, some places are willing to work with you.

Kimmyann 01-31-2013 05:10 PM

My son will be going to his second year of outdoor summer camp. On paper the place looks and sounds great. However, my son refuses to participate in the sports activities or swimming so for the majority of the day he stands around watching everyone else do fun stuff. I am hoping that this year he participates a bit more. Its 4000 dollars for 9 weeks of camp and that still leaves me with about 2 weeks to find people to cover for his care while I am working.

carriek38 02-01-2013 09:58 AM

My daycare offers summer care for school-aged kids, & it's quite common here for teachers & college students to offer summer care at really reasonable price. There aren't a lot of camps around here, but the town parks & rec departments do a great job of offering summer programming and day trips for school-aged kids.