Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Replacing velcro on BGs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487175)

neuro_mom 01-30-2013 11:07 PM

Replacing velcro on BGs

O.K., I'm really disappointed in the velcro on BGs but that I guess that's a vent for a different thread. The velcro is losing its stickiness and my lo can yank them off unless I make sure he's wearing clothes over the diaper. The velcro only lasted 9 months :banghead:

Anyway, I need to replace the tabs and laundry strips on several BGs. Can I make my own tabs and laundry strips by buying strips of hook and loop instead? If so, what velcro should I buy and where? Will they look ugly if I buy strips and trim the strips in the shape of tabs? Or do I really need to buy the repair kits from cottonbabies? I'm trying to do this as economically as possible but I don't want them to end up looking awful.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

AniMommy 01-31-2013 03:54 AM

I bought my aplix from kidsinthegarden.com. I took off the tabs, traced around the shapes and cut them out. I've never bought a replacement kit.

Money wise with shipping and all I'm not sure which ends up cheaper.

neuro_mom 01-31-2013 07:00 AM

Re: Replacing velcro on BGs

Thanks! I'll check it out!

lyia81 01-31-2013 01:11 PM

Not sure if this will help, but I bought some used BG's. They had some lint and hair in the hook part of the velcro. I used a seam ripper from my sewing kit to remove nearly all of it. Works great!

amb2j 01-31-2013 05:45 PM

I replaced the Velcro with touchtape... I think from verybaby.com. It's a million times stickier than Velcro and looks just fine! I free handed the tabs making them wider. Worked great! My now 2 year old cant get them off (he's pl'd but wears a diaper at night :)) but he could easily get the Velcro off at 6 months old!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

neuro_mom 01-31-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AniMommy (Post 16228420)
I bought my aplix from kidsinthegarden.com. I took off the tabs, traced around the shapes and cut them out. I've never bought a replacement kit.

kidsinthegarden.com isn't taking any new orders right now :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb2j (Post 16231718)
I replaced the Velcro with touchtape... I think from verybaby.com. It's a million times stickier than Velcro and looks just fine! I free handed the tabs making them wider. Worked great! My now 2 year old cant get them off (he's pl'd but wears a diaper at night :)) but he could easily get the Velcro off at 6 months old!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Thanks! I'll check out the touchtape on verybaby.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyia81 (Post 16230442)
Not sure if this will help, but I bought some used BG's. They had some lint and hair in the hook part of the velcro. I used a seam ripper from my sewing kit to remove nearly all of it. Works great!

I'll try cleaning the tabs again in the meantime. Dh told me to do the same thing. Some of the tabs are starting to curl which doesn't help.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

ursaminor 02-01-2013 08:09 AM

Verybaby does have precut touchtape tabs!:)