Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Car Seat Battle Chronicles (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487355)

JustSomeChickVee 01-31-2013 12:58 PM

The Car Seat Battle Chronicles

I am soooo tired of fighting DS into the car seat. We are still RF and I want to ERF. But for the past 2 months, it is a battle to get him in the seat because he twists to try to face forward. He is VERY strong. and hard headed lol. I basically have to stand in my van (I'm short,) hang over the car seat and pin him down, twist him over, pull his legs out from underneath him while he screams and hope I can move fast enough to get the harness on... and if I don't, which 90% of the time I don't get it the first time, we do it all over again, only with louder screaming and crying. it can take up to 10 minutes. I'm not sure what to do. It's driving me nuts.

Tris 01-31-2013 01:44 PM

Re: The Car Seat Battle Chronicles

We got DVD players. Saved my sanity. Made car rides enjoyable, worth it 100%.

JustSomeChickVee 01-31-2013 01:49 PM

how much are they? i have a portable dvd player but i don't know if i can attach it like that. it's shaped like a tiny laptop.

my2sweets 01-31-2013 01:59 PM

Whrn my girls fought the carseat I used the caveman talk(dd mad, dd doesnt want in the seat, dd says no! But we have to be safe blahblahblah). After that calmed them I had them do the chest clip to *help me*. I might pretend to try it but fail then ask if they could do it. I would also ask if they wanted to do it or wanted me to try(which worked the best for my girls). I hope you can figure something out mama!

JustSomeChickVee 01-31-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2sweets (Post 16230646)
Whrn my girls fought the carseat I used the caveman talk(dd mad, dd doesnt want in the seat, dd says no! But we have to be safe blahblahblah). After that calmed them I had them do the chest clip to *help me*. I might pretend to try it but fail then ask if they could do it. I would also ask if they wanted to do it or wanted me to try(which worked the best for my girls). I hope you can figure something out mama!

I do caveman talk lol. it doesn't help he just gets louder. He's not old enough to help with the chest clip, but definitely something to try in the future.

sisu 01-31-2013 02:17 PM

Car safety is one of those totally non-negotiable things for me. Both kids have gone through that stage, I just glare silently at them, squish them into the seat and off we go. Poor behavior gains them literally nothing - no attention, no amusing reaction from me - nothing. They got over it quickly.

EmilytheStrange 01-31-2013 02:21 PM

I'm sorry :(

DD didn't go through that stage. but, sometimes she flat out doesn't want to be in the car and we have to battle to get into the carseat. I usually try to get a leg clip done first as opposed to getting both arms in and then clip the chest clip. If you can get 1 arm in and clip it to the leg thing, that is easier, in my opinion anyways :)

usually, I count with her, 1 arm, 2 arm, 3 chest, 4 leg, 5 leg. And we did go through a stage when I'd set her in the car and let her climb into the carseat on her own. That probably made her feel empowered in some way.

JustSomeChickVee 01-31-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 (Post 16230733)
Car safety is one of those totally non-negotiable things for me. Both kids have gone through that stage, I just glare silently at them, squish them into the seat and off we go. Poor behavior gains them literally nothing - no attention, no amusing reaction from me - nothing. They got over it quickly.

hm. i'll try not responding to it at all. could work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 16230750)
I'm sorry :(

DD didn't go through that stage. but, sometimes she flat out doesn't want to be in the car and we have to battle to get into the carseat. I usually try to get a leg clip done first as opposed to getting both arms in and then clip the chest clip. If you can get 1 arm in and clip it to the leg thing, that is easier, in my opinion anyways :)

usually, I count with her, 1 arm, 2 arm, 3 chest, 4 leg, 5 leg. And we did go through a stage when I'd set her in the car and let her climb into the carseat on her own. That probably made her feel empowered in some way.

yeah, DH told me to try clipping the leg clips first and it does help. I've also tried letting him climb in but as of right now, he just turns forward and tries to sit in it that way. lol!

GirlFriday13th 01-31-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 (Post 16230733)

:yeahthat:
It's a phase, ignore it and it'll pass quickly.

juliasmom 01-31-2013 03:52 PM

I bribe my 2 yo with jelly beans to get in her carseat, put her arms in the straps and clip the chest clip. I started doing that when I was 8 months pregnant and just couldn't wrestle her anymore. I pick my battles, and that one is worth a few jelly beans a day. FWIW, I turned DD FFing 6 months ago and it didn't stop the struggling. Now she slips onto the floor.