Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Question about treating headlice... again! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487419)

vatblack 01-31-2013 04:15 PM

Question about treating headlice... again!

I feel like I'm in a bit of a fix here, but I'm not sure. Maybe you can help me make sense of it all. (Sorry long history before question.)

Story: 3 weeks ago my step kids let me know they had lice. It turned out that DD had some too. Very few, very small and some bigger ones with eggs. So, we did all that we had to do. Treatment, comb, cleansing the environment. 3 days straight doing laundry and drying and drying and drying on hot. Quaranteed everything else (now up in the attic in sealed bags for almost 3 weeks). We kept the kids apart for one weekend so that they would not cross contaminate again. Fix it here, fix it there, then bring them together.

Only the Friday I go to pick them up (this was exactly 2 weeks after the first news came), I can see my DSD hair is still full of nits. I ask her why. She says her mom says her hair is too long to comb out and the treatments will take care of everything.

So, the weekend I spent 6 hours (1 hour per kid per day) combing through their hair and nit picking. Each time I seem to still get some more. After two treatments at their mom's house, I still got some just hatched insects in their hair, but not my DDs. There were some eggs on my DDs hair I must have missed. That Monday I washed and dried and dried and dried everything all of our heads came in contact with again (DH and I treated and check our hair daily. We don't have any so far! Cross fingers).

The following weekend (last weekend) when we got them, the DSD and DSS's hair still has some nits in them. I did not comb again. Now I feel like :banghead:! I thought if the eggs have not hatched by then, they wouldn't and just left it.

Yesterday, when I went through my DD's hair (I check every 3 days now) she had lots and lots of baby lice again. No eggs that I could see and no adult ones. They looked dead, I took an hour to go inch by inch through her hair and pick out anything that looked suspicious - not an easy feat with a 3 year old! Then I saw a hair of my DSD on her bed as I pulled down all the bedding again for the big wash and dry, dry, dry today.... There was a dead baby lice stuck to it!!!! :banghead:

So, am I right in assuming that if the X does not comb out their hair, that they won't get rid of the lice? I am right in thinking that I should ask they not come around until they are definitely clean? Can you even ever know if they are clean without combing through the hair with a fine comb? (Literally :giggle2:)

Does anyone have experience getting rid of lice without combing and just treament? She uses Nitfree http://www.biconet.com/personal/nitFree.html

JustSomeChickVee 01-31-2013 04:30 PM

Re: Question about treating headlice... again!

combing actually isn't necessary. people with dreads treat lice.

anyway, get isopropyl alcohol (70%) and pour on their scalps. it will likely burn some, but theyll be fine. tie their hair up and saran wrap. leave on for 30 minutes. then wash. the fumes kill the lice, but not the eggs, so this needs to be repeated every 2-3 days for about two weeks. oh when you're applying it, give them a paper towel tube to breathe through.

you can also smother them in coconut oil. again, it needs to be repeated several times.

abunchoflemons 01-31-2013 05:02 PM

I would say they can't come til clean otherwise never ending cycle. Hugs. My mom had this with me when I came to usa almost 30 yrs ago. She was very diligent on everything...and school teacher so know lots over the years.....

isabelsmummy 01-31-2013 05:03 PM

The shampoo we used - Resultz - supposedly kills the eggs too. I did the combing thing too but I don't know if you really have to.

I wonder if the step kids just keep getting them again at school? I know one of the classes at dd's school just kept passing them around for most of last year.

vatblack 01-31-2013 05:10 PM

I don't know if the step kids are re-infected or just not getting rid of them in the first place. I am fed up. Doing spring cleaning effectively every week is wearing me out. Not to mention my DD running if she sees me going for a comb! LOL.

I wonder if DD picks it up from school too, but apparantly no-one else has it. I informed them the minute we had some and the kids were checked. So, I don't know!

JustSomeChickVee 01-31-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vatblack (Post 16231333)
I don't know if the step kids are re-infected or just not getting rid of them in the first place. I am fed up. Doing spring cleaning effectively every week is wearing me out. Not to mention my DD running if she sees me going for a comb! LOL.

I wonder if DD picks it up from school too, but apparantly no-one else has it. I informed them the minute we had some and the kids were checked. So, I don't know!

make a spray with water and tea tree oil. lice and fleas really dislike it, so spraying a little on your DD's hair should help prevent future issues.

vatblack 01-31-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee (Post 16231345)
make a spray with water and tea tree oil. lice and fleas really dislike it, so spraying a little on your DD's hair should help prevent future issues.

Thanks for that. I have put some tea tree oil in our shampoo. It has not helped so far, BUT, she might just not be re-infested. I did not find any eggs this time; therefore, I might have just missed a bunch of eggs before and what I found yesterday is what hatched from that.

It still bugs me that I found a hair of my DSD with a just hatched insect on it.

JustSomeChickVee 01-31-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vatblack (Post 16231415)
Thanks for that. I have put some tea tree oil in our shampoo. It has not helped so far, BUT, she might just not be re-infested. I did not find any eggs this time; therefore, I might have just missed a bunch of eggs before and what I found yesterday is what hatched from that.

It still bugs me that I found a hair of my DSD with a just hatched insect on it.

yeah it's not really going to help if there are already eggs/lice present.

Danielle0407 01-31-2013 09:00 PM

There is a shampoo that you can get with a perscription from the kids dr that works well. My kids had lice a little over a year ago and while I shaved DS bald (because he is autistic and couldn't sit still for me to nit pick). DD i used nix and combed and nit picked and they still came back. I called her doctor, told them about it and they called in a shampoo for me to pick up. It works by suffocating the lice and you have to repeat it in 1 week. But we haven't had lice since

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

chandni3 01-31-2013 09:07 PM

It sounds like their mom hasn't cleaned everything to get rid of them. I'd be so upset. They're pretty resilient nowadays too to most treatments and not all treatments kill the eggs. Perhaps the mom didn't use a strong enough treatment.