Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Appropriate youtube video? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487428)

*KaiMom* 01-31-2013 04:34 PM

Appropriate youtube video?
 
My ds (age 10 and in 5th grade) just came home and said his art teacher showed the class this youtube video today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k

What are you're thoughts? I'm still sort of in shock and can't articulate all the reasons I think this isn't appropriate.

Tina5834 01-31-2013 04:40 PM

What exactly do you dislike? I don't necessarily think it's a horrible video but why did the art teacher show that?

EmilytheStrange 01-31-2013 04:42 PM

Re: Appropriate youtube video?
 
I'm with you.

there have to be better ways to show 'contemporary art' than that parody.

Pixi6s 01-31-2013 04:48 PM

Re: Appropriate youtube video?
 
I find it odd. Why is a good question?

Nerissa 01-31-2013 04:53 PM

Re: Appropriate youtube video?
 
I think it is a very odd video but don't see anything really wrong with it.

*KaiMom* 01-31-2013 04:56 PM

Re: Appropriate youtube video?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaDeanette (Post 16231169)
What exactly do you dislike? I don't necessarily think it's a horrible video but why did the art teacher show that?

The video is poking fun of a certain group of people (lower income, less educated etc) and how they talk. It just seems to be sending the wrong message.

I guess she will show videos when they have finished their lesson for the day and they have extra time.

*KaiMom* 01-31-2013 04:58 PM

Re: Appropriate youtube video?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 16231182)
I'm with you.

there have to be better ways to show 'contemporary art' than that parody.

Maybe this was the connection she was trying to make with art. People making videos as a form of art and expression? Seems a stretch for a class of 10 year olds.

Tina5834 01-31-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *KaiMom*

Maybe this was the connection she was trying to make with art. People making videos as a form of art and expression? Seems a stretch for a class of 10 year olds.

I would complain. There are tons of videos out there that send a better message.

tallanvor 01-31-2013 04:59 PM

Re: Appropriate youtube video?
 
I find it rude and crude. I don't know what the real song is, but I felt this was very distastful and mocking.

EmilytheStrange 01-31-2013 05:08 PM

Re: Appropriate youtube video?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by *KaiMom* (Post 16231271)
Maybe this was the connection she was trying to make with art. People making videos as a form of art and expression? Seems a stretch for a class of 10 year olds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 16231282)
I find it rude and crude. I don't know what the real song is, but I felt this was very distastful and mocking.

I think 10yr olds can get it. My nieces do some pretty impressive stuff with videos and they're just now 7 and 9.

but my problem is like Tallanvor put it... it's very distasteful.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors