Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   How many bottles? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487474)

jessicanashville 01-31-2013 05:42 PM

How many bottles?

I previously breast fed but had a breast enlargement after my last son and then got pregnant with this baby:blush: kinda expectantly.

I am not sure if I will have a full milk supply or any milk at all.
I want to be prepared so my question is:
How many bottles do you need to have to rotate them comfortably?
How do you pick a formula? It seems like there are a million options.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Thanks in advance

mibarra 01-31-2013 08:35 PM

I like 24 for full time feeding a newborn. I just buy the largest size and don't bother with the smaller ones, I didn't really need them. I love my Tommee Tippee bottles, especially if you're going to try nursing too.

We used plain old Enfamil. I would just start with a regular formula unless there are signs of allergies. They are pretty similar generally. Some newborns do better with the ready to feed liquid at first instead of powder.

JulieBeth 01-31-2013 08:40 PM

Re: How many bottles?

I have three small bottles for right now (4 month old) I wash them immediately after I use them. I have 4 large ones for when she starts eating more than 4oz at a time.

I bought Tommee Tipee bottles and my DD hated them, she will only use Advent. So, I say don't stock up lots on one particular brand until you know what your LO will take.

Also, I thought I was being super smart and stockpiled formula. I mean....cans & cans and formula. Ultra prepared. She's allergic to milk and soy, and all the cans we bought she can't use. All the regular formulas are pretty much the same and that is what I would start on. :)

jessicanashville 02-01-2013 03:56 AM

Thanks ladies!

Mom2Connor 02-01-2013 11:22 AM

We had 12 8oz dr browns and loved them for DS1. That amount worked fine for us.

We will be getting the same for DS2.

We started off with similac then went to enfamil gentleease, then to wal-marts generic enfamil gentleease. It's the same stuff, they even have comparison labels so you can compare on the can.

JustSomeChickVee 02-01-2013 01:47 PM

DS is 13 months old. We rotate 2 sippies. i'm pretty minimalist, i don't like having too much stuff. The most I ever had was like 6 glass bottles when he was tiny. We used Born Free glass bottles.

My requirement for formula was always organic. So I used Parent's Choice Organic, which is pretty much the same stuff as Earth's Best but half price. I didn't use Similac Organic because of the really high sugar content and I didn't use Baby's Only because of the organic brown rice syrup issue. Then, I switched to the homemade formula recipe by the Weston A Price Foundation when I learned about it and after reading it. It does meet the FDA nutritional requirements for infant formula and actually had almost identical nutritional values as the PC Organic I was using before. I just liked using fresh ingredients and knowing for sure that there was nothing GM.

Catbutt Diapers 02-01-2013 08:16 PM

Lulu was EBF for her first 6 months, now she is on formula I use Isomil Advanced soy formula and playtex drop-ins bottles. How we picked the formula: I ordered the free sample from every company that would give me one, all regular milk-based, and one just-in-case soy (DH is allergic to dairy). We picked the cheapest formula to start trying, and tried it for a week. The only one that worked was the very last one we tried, so that's the one we use.

Holly dolly 02-01-2013 08:38 PM

My boys were both ebf until 4-6 mos so I can't speak for newborn stage...but I had a rotation of 4 small and 4 large bottles that I used. We used Avent and Born Free.

Holly dolly 02-01-2013 08:39 PM

As for formula...we used Gerber/Nestlé. I received a bunch from a friend who had stockpiled and it didn't seem to mess with my boys' tummies like regular enfamil did.

mmeneely 02-02-2013 09:24 AM

You need FOUR. Wash them out and remember that you do not need to sterilize after leaving the hospital. I had no idea after having our son and did it for7mos after after our first. What a waste of time. Get four and was h them with hot soapy water and fill as needed.