Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help with Indoor Allergies. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487507)

megshmeg 01-31-2013 07:42 PM

Help with Indoor Allergies.

My DS has had seasonal allergies for the past 2 years about. He is almost 4. It's bad enough that he gets spring and fall allergies (it seems to be when mold and pollen are high here)... but this year he's been suffering with what seem to be indoor allergies, too. Argh. :( I have them as well... ever since I HAD him. It's so strange.

Anyway, I've read all up on dust mites and such, and now I am wondering what real people do to help their kids' indoor allergies. We live in a carpeted apartment now but will be moving into a house likely in a year or so, and fully intend on having hardwood floors. I've read about steam cleaning carpets to help. Washing bedding on hot... what else? I'll take any advice! It's so rough seeing him suffer with itchy eyes and stuffy nose each day.

Mom2jandb 01-31-2013 08:07 PM

Keeping the humidity low should help keep the mites down as well, and don't make your beds right away after you get up (not a problem in this house, lol). Vacuuming is good, but it also stirs up dust which is not good.... You might benefit from an air purifier too.

megshmeg 01-31-2013 08:10 PM

Re: Help with Indoor Allergies.

We have an air purifier, but maybe need one in all rooms. And that's a good point.. a dehumidifier might be helpful. Thanks. :)

Mom2jandb 01-31-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megshmeg
We have an air purifier, but maybe need one in all rooms. And that's a good point.. a dehumidifier might be helpful. Thanks. :)

Or just run your heat/AC often to keep the humidity down if you don't want to get a dehumidifier. I hope other mamas have more ideas for you! :)

tallanvor 01-31-2013 09:36 PM

You can get allergy covers for mattress and pillow. Don't keep out a bunch of stuffed animals.

If you can afford it, buy a Rainbow vacuum cleaner. They are the absolute best vacuum you can buy for people with allergies. Get a refurbished one if possible. The new ones also double as an air filter (they are quiet when running in that mode).

Dust and wash things often.

Oh, and don't forget the furniture in your vacuuming.

megshmeg 01-31-2013 09:45 PM

I'll look into the allergy covers. He doesn't keep stuffed animals. I got rid of some couch pillows too.

I'm glad to know about the Rainbow. There was also a steam cleaner... the Ladybug? Or something like that... crazy expensive but supposedly helpful.

itiswhatitis1984 02-01-2013 01:44 AM

I agree with the covers for pillows and mattress. My allergies have been horrible since I got pregnant. Also if you vacuum regularly that will help cut down on the dust. For decorative pillows I put them in the dryer on high for about 20 mins once a week to kill dust mites. Washing curtains is another thing you might want to consider doing. I strive for once a month to every other month. Also regularly dusting helps.

jbug_4 02-01-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megshmeg (Post 16232739)
I'll look into the allergy covers. He doesn't keep stuffed animals. I got rid of some couch pillows too.

I'm glad to know about the Rainbow. There was also a steam cleaner... the Ladybug? Or something like that... crazy expensive but supposedly helpful.

We don't steam clean regularly- every few months. We do vacuum daily. About once a week vacuum under the couches. The allergy covers are one of the most important things you can do for dust mites. Make sure they are allergy not bed bug or just waterproof covers. You want them to say allergy. You are suppose to use them on both box spring and mattress, but a lot of people only use them on the mattress (us included).

Soft stuff was already mentioned, but you want to reduce or regularly wash soft surfaces. Wash all the bedding at least weekly as hot as you can get it. Its not going to last as long but it will help. Change your air/heat filters- suppose to be once a month for allergies, but we always forget and end up doing it every 2 or 3 months. Keep pets out of his room if you have any- even if there isn't a pet allergy they bring in dust, and mold and mildew spores from outside when they do their business.

Also- again regardless of the specific allergies try to stay away from heavily scented stuff- detergents, fabric softeners, perfumes, carpet sprinkles, fresh flowers, candles, etc. Those things can aggravate, especially if the allergies are already irritating. You might want to regularly check your showers and such- using a mildew/mold cleaner even if you don't see any. And make sure your running the vent during showers and baths. I highly recommend Flonase (or the like) if you need a regular med. Both me and my dd are able to use it as needed to help. For maximum benefit it should be used daily but even using it randomly helps.

BTW- I am allergic to pretty much everything you can breathe in. Dust mites being my worst. Grasses being next- i can't even go outside if anyone in our neighbor hood mows without covering my face. You want to dust with something sticky/clingy- under no circumstances do you want to use a traditional duster- microfiber cloth, and a dusting solution work good. I haven't tried any homemade or green. We just use pledge. Spray it on and wipe it up once a week or 2. I dust daily- just a quick wipe down with a damp cloth.

megshmeg 02-01-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbug_4 (Post 16233149)
We don't steam clean regularly- every few months. We do vacuum daily. About once a week vacuum under the couches. The allergy covers are one of the most important things you can do for dust mites. Make sure they are allergy not bed bug or just waterproof covers. You want them to say allergy. You are suppose to use them on both box spring and mattress, but a lot of people only use them on the mattress (us included).

Soft stuff was already mentioned, but you want to reduce or regularly wash soft surfaces. Wash all the bedding at least weekly as hot as you can get it. Its not going to last as long but it will help. Change your air/heat filters- suppose to be once a month for allergies, but we always forget and end up doing it every 2 or 3 months. Keep pets out of his room if you have any- even if there isn't a pet allergy they bring in dust, and mold and mildew spores from outside when they do their business.

Also- again regardless of the specific allergies try to stay away from heavily scented stuff- detergents, fabric softeners, perfumes, carpet sprinkles, fresh flowers, candles, etc. Those things can aggravate, especially if the allergies are already irritating. You might want to regularly check your showers and such- using a mildew/mold cleaner even if you don't see any. And make sure your running the vent during showers and baths. I highly recommend Flonase (or the like) if you need a regular med. Both me and my dd are able to use it as needed to help. For maximum benefit it should be used daily but even using it randomly helps.

BTW- I am allergic to pretty much everything you can breathe in. Dust mites being my worst. Grasses being next- i can't even go outside if anyone in our neighbor hood mows without covering my face. You want to dust with something sticky/clingy- under no circumstances do you want to use a traditional duster- microfiber cloth, and a dusting solution work good. I haven't tried any homemade or green. We just use pledge. Spray it on and wipe it up once a week or 2. I dust daily- just a quick wipe down with a damp cloth.

Thanks for such a thorough reply! Do you rent a steam cleaner or own one?

We do have a vacuum with a HEPA filter, not sure if that helps at all, but it is "supposed" to help allergies. I will make sure we get the allergy covers for our pillows and mattresses.

Unfortunately we are renting now and have so much carpet. Do you wash curtains very regularly as well? We don't have pets. Let's see... I do wipe down our showers and baths with mold/mildew cleaner. I use a candle a few nights a week so maybe I should quit with that. Our detergent is just homemade and I don't use any fabric softener or extra scented stuff there.

I use Murphy's oil soap with water, and a microfiber cloth, to dust. Our surfaces tend to get cluttered and then I sometimes don't get dusting done once a week... I need to be more diligent.

This was really helpful to point out a lot of things I can do a bit better and be a bit more proactive. Thanks. :goodvibes:

jbug_4 02-01-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megshmeg (Post 16234385)
Thanks for such a thorough reply! Do you rent a steam cleaner or own one?

We do have a vacuum with a HEPA filter, not sure if that helps at all, but it is "supposed" to help allergies. I will make sure we get the allergy covers for our pillows and mattresses.

Unfortunately we are renting now and have so much carpet. Do you wash curtains very regularly as well? We don't have pets. Let's see... I do wipe down our showers and baths with mold/mildew cleaner. I use a candle a few nights a week so maybe I should quit with that. Our detergent is just homemade and I don't use any fabric softener or extra scented stuff there.

I use Murphy's oil soap with water, and a microfiber cloth, to dust. Our surfaces tend to get cluttered and then I sometimes don't get dusting done once a week... I need to be more diligent.

This was really helpful to point out a lot of things I can do a bit better and be a bit more proactive. Thanks. :goodvibes:

We own a pretty basic steam cleaner. Nothing special about it. I usually use Rockin' green in it (don't like it on my clothes, but love it for the steam cleaner). It doesn't have a strong smell. Most of the regular cleaners aren't too strong, but I have the Rockin Green I bought for diapers and discovered I don't really like it on my diapers. We do have dogs -including a massive long haired one, you would not believe the stuff she tracks in- so that requires a bit more work from us. We ended up getting a curio cabinet and getting rid of a lot of clutter. I would keep putting off the dusting because of all the junk I had to go around. Getting the cabinet and getting a lot of stuff off the surfaces made me more willing to dust more frequently. And in all honesty when it was just me I didn't worry about it so much, but with dd now allergic too I make a much better effort to get it done. DD will even help so she can earn money. I also do it first thing in the morning because the later I waited the less likely it is to get done. I hate cleaning.

I don't wash my curtains often, but we only have curtains in my bedroom and the living room. I do use the vacuum on them every now and then- not too often. The kids have blinds in there room and dd's have wooden shutters (came with the house and I love them). We live secluded so we don't need curtains. Really concentrating you energy on the soft surfaces that your body touches is the best. Couches, chairs, carpets, beds. And the hard surfaces in which allows it to fly off. But concentrating on the couches, chairs, carpets and beds should get you pretty good results. If you don't get to the dusting it won't matter as much as those soft surfaces.

Oh empty your vacuum outside if you don't already. That is harder in an apartment, but if you empty it into the garbage in the house a lot of the gunk is is being released back into the house.