Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Moms of scheduled newborns (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487510)

Alikhlas 01-31-2013 07:51 PM

Moms of scheduled newborns

What do you do and how do you do it? And if you did the scheduling with one kid and not the other, what differences did you notice? Oh and when do you start?

mibarra 01-31-2013 08:30 PM

DD1 came home from the NICU on a schedule. She had to eat no more than every 4 hours, even at night. She slept at consistent times as well. It was so stressful for feeding because I felt like I didn't know her cues because we relied on the schedule. I would be a nervous wreck if she didn't eat well at a feeding and wasted a lot of pumped milk giving her a bottle whenever she fussed because I didn't know if she was hungry.

DD2 I fed/slept on demand. While I wouldn't say it was 'easier' per se, because a newborn is always lots of work with too little sleep, I felt I had a much better idea of what she wanted. I knew the difference between tired and hungry, and was able to comfort her more easily. Some of that is due to experience from the first, but it was much less stressful for us that way :)

raymark 01-31-2013 09:21 PM

Re: Moms of scheduled newborns

Our LOs were scheduled from birth because they were not quite mature enough to wake & request feedings according to hunger signals. For their safety & maintaining proper growth (as per our pedis recommendation) we continued a feeding schedule for their first 6 weeks. After that they led the show & we became very successful at anticipating their needs before they were stressed enough to have to bawl.

We set an alarm to go off every 3 hours for our twins around the clock for the first week, then we were instructed to decrease feedings to every 4 hours at night but continue feedings every 3 hours throughout the day for the next week. The 3rd week we set the alarm & fed them no less than once every 4 hours day & night & continued this routine for about 2-3 weeks. After that we were able to primarily go off our LOs cues as long as they were waking on their own for feedings - which was no longer a problem as they began wanting to be fed about every 3 hours. We kept a journal of feeding times, formula amounts, minutes of breast feedings, times of wet &/or dirty diapers for their first 3 months. We only needed to keep the journal for the first 6 weeks, but when you're exhausted & have twins it's easy to forget who did what to the extent that I feared I may not immediately notice a negative trend beginning with one of them. So, for my piece of mind we kept the journal for the first 3 months.

Alikhlas 02-01-2013 11:00 AM

Anyone else?

mibarra 02-01-2013 11:53 AM

If you're thinking more like babywise there's a mama on here who is really into it. Her username is all capitals, something about GEM and maybe a caboose or something?? I'm trying to remember which thread she posted a detailed explanation in....

Kiliki 02-01-2013 12:27 PM

I have 3 kids and never scheduled any of them, they just all came with their own schedule.

It was typically something like this - every 2-3 hours nurse, then play, then sleep, repeat.

I actually don't understand the purpose of scheduling a newborn. They already have their own natural rhythm/schedule and it's pretty easy to follow once you figure it out.

I am not being at all sarcastic.

Is that what you mean by "scheduling" ?

ETA: I'm sorry, I have to apologize b/c even with the "not being sarcastic" it still DOES read that way, doesn't it? I truly wasn't trying to be. I am actually genuinely curious about the reasons for scheduling a newborn. Please no one be offended.

UVASahm 02-01-2013 12:42 PM

I started a schedule with my guy at about 2 weeks. I fed him on demand at the beginning to establish supply but then I stretched his feelings to every 3 hours. I also gave him a bath, fed him and put him to sleep at the same time every night. It was easiest for our family and it helped him distinguish between night and day from a very early age.

isabelsmummy 02-01-2013 01:50 PM

I don't know if I did what you are talking about but this is what it was -
For the first however many weeks it took to get bf well established I just fed every time time they squeaked.

Then I followed a loose babywise/baby whisperer type routine. Do some readings about awake times because I really found that key. At say a month the routine would be wake up, eat, 'awake time' and then back to sleep. If you really watch for the sleepy cues you'll be putting them down after the same amount of time awake (including eating time) in each cycle.

DD2 and I loved this. It was so fabulous. I didn't schedule by the clock, but eventually I did know roughly what time things would happen. Sometimes she would sleep longer than others during the day but regardless, when she woke up I'd feed and start the cycle over.

With dd1 I did the 'feed on demand' thing but I found that I was mixing up sleep cries and feed cries and I know in retrospect that I was often feeding an overtired baby who really wanted to go to sleep but was so tired all she could do was cry (which I thought meant feed me!). So for me, the routine was great. Not every family needs one.

eTA - DH did NOT understand the routine at all. My 5yr old was always coming to me telling me that daddy was trying to feed the baby but it was sleep time!

Alikhlas 02-01-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isabelsmummy
I don't know if I did what you are talking about but this is what it was -
For the first however many weeks it took to get bf well established I just fed every time time they squeaked.

Then I followed a loose babywise/baby whisperer type routine. Do some readings about awake times because I really found that key. At say a month the routine would be wake up, eat, 'awake time' and then back to sleep. If you really watch for the sleepy cues you'll be putting them down after the same amount of time awake (including eating time) in each cycle.

DD2 and I loved this. It was so fabulous. I didn't schedule by the clock, but eventually I did know roughly what time things would happen. Sometimes she would sleep longer than others during the day but regardless, when she woke up I'd feed and start the cycle over.

With dd1 I did the 'feed on demand' thing but I found that I was mixing up sleep cries and feed cries and I know in retrospect that I was often feeding an overtired baby who really wanted to go to sleep but was so tired all she could do was cry (which I thought meant feed me!). So for me, the routine was great. Not every family needs one.

eTA - DH did NOT understand the routine at all. My 5yr old was always coming to me telling me that daddy was trying to feed the baby but it was sleep time!

This is more what I was referring to. As in, after the first week or two when bf'ing is established, then have the baby wake up, eat, play, then sleep at the same intervals/times each day, and put baby down awake so they fall asleep independently each time, and keep up the same schedule as they get older (of course altering based on age) so that they are independent sleepers and set time eaters.

I'm interested in doing this for my nb otw bc I'm still having a horrible time with my 21 mo old. She still nurses on demand, barely eats 1-2 meals a day, nurses to sleep, and wakes at night for nursing. It's exhausting to say the least. And I get that this only happens once and they need mommy, etc, but I've practically had a nb for 21 months.

My dd followed a basic feeding schedule I'm the beginning..she sort of set her own each day varying from 2-4 hours each day. She slept thru the night on her own for a few weeks at 2-3 months old, then only a handful of times since then. She had a strict bedtime/routine of 7 pm for several months, but continued to wake at night. So I really want another method for the next baby.

Alikhlas 02-01-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiliki
I have 3 kids and never scheduled any of them, they just all came with their own schedule.

It was typically something like this - every 2-3 hours nurse, then play, then sleep, repeat.

I actually don't understand the purpose of scheduling a newborn. They already have their own natural rhythm/schedule and it's pretty easy to follow once you figure it out.

I am not being at all sarcastic.

Is that what you mean by "scheduling" ?

ETA: I'm sorry, I have to apologize b/c even with the "not being sarcastic" it still DOES read that way, doesn't it? I truly wasn't trying to be. I am actually genuinely curious about the reasons for scheduling a newborn. Please no one be offended.

No offense taken :) I'm referring to somewhat strict set timings for a newborn, not only a pattern or routine.