Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   cavity jelp :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487513)

bradcher 01-31-2013 08:00 PM

cavity jelp :(

My 3 year old has 3 cavities. Any advice? We have dental insurance and will get them taken care of but I'm so heartbroken. I feel like such a failure. What floss picks, mouth washes and brushes have you had luck with? We just got her s perscription for floride so hopefully that will help too. She is good about letting us brush them with an electric brush for 2 minutes at night but I guess we need to be brushing in the day too :(

JulieBeth 01-31-2013 08:09 PM

Re: cavity jelp :(

Sometimes it just doesn't matter, you can have the best oral hygiene and still get cavities. My oldest two have never had a cavity, never. We just went to the dentist and our 3 year old has 4 cavities. I still brush her teeth too, floss, the whole shebang. All of the kids have the same routine!

Sorry mama, it really is a bummer.

PBAki 01-31-2013 08:21 PM

Please don't feel bad; you're not a failure. DD1 has a very jagged teeth in the back that it's so difficult to clean even with Sonicare, flossing and using different toothbrush that she still got cavities many times. Some children are more prone either genetics or like my daughter's teeth.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 02-01-2013 09:55 AM

It really doesn't matter. They will get cavities anyway. DD has 2 at age 2 or 3...,can't remember. Don't feel bad because there are kids with FAR worse teeth.

craigwick 02-01-2013 10:38 AM

some people are just more likely to get cavities...I had a whole mouthful by the time I was in school (with good dental hygeine). This year was the first time I didn't have a new cavity! Just an old filling to be replaced, which is amazing for me.

As for DH, DD1 and DD2, they have perfect teeth. I think DH has had one small filling in the 10 years we have been together and DD1 at 6 has perfect teeth (except they don't fit in her mouth, a whole other issue!). We do not use fluoridated toothpaste, all we get is a once a year fluoride treatment at the dentist and my dentist was fine with that.

Erinne 02-01-2013 10:48 AM

I agree with the others, sometimes there's just not much to be done about it. When my dd got her last fillings, they used some sort of filling that is supposed to slowly leach minerals or something that's supposed to help prevent more cavities near it. Sorry, I don't remember what it was called, but maybe your dentist would know if you want to ask about them. I just try to remember that there's a reason kids have baby teeth, and they aren't meant to last forever, so we're just trying to keep them as healthy as possible and hope for the best with her adult teeth.

bradcher 02-02-2013 06:35 PM

Thanks mamas!

Mom2littlemissaudrey 02-02-2013 07:49 PM

Mothering just posted some info on healing children's teeth naturally today:

http://www.mothering.com/community/a...etting-started

Also look in to the work of Weston A. Price (WAPF Foundation) and Ramiel Nagel (wrote a book on healing his daughter's cavities) using a nutrient dense diet.

The use of a glycerin free toothpaste can also help in healing cavities and keeping new cavities from forming. From what I've read glycerin can coat teeth and keep the minerals in your saliva from remineralizing your teeth. We also use toothpaste with xylitol (helps with cavity prevention) instead of fluoride. Earthpaste is a good one or you can make your own. More info on that here: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/...ralization.htm

We follow the dietary recommendations from the WAPF foundation and use glycerin and fluoride free toothpaste and have no cavities here. Hope this helps!

Connor 02-02-2013 11:44 PM

I can give tips on how to naturally heal tooth decay. Pm me if you'd like. :)

BubBubsMom 02-03-2013 02:17 AM

Just make sure when you are brushing her teeth, you are getting all surfaces of the teeth. front, back and on chewing surfaces. Any floss pics will work. I would brush 2x a day. And if she is brushing her teeth, make sure you brush them afterwards for her. Kids don't have the proper technique to brush their teeth until they can write in cursive really well.

Any sugary stuff limit them. If she is having juice maybe water down if you already haven't. Limit the amount of time she is sipping on juice or any sugary drinks. Every sip is an acid attack on the teeth and takes 20 mins to return to a normal pH. So if having sugary drink, after 20 mins if not finished take it away.

Like others said, some people are more prone to having cavities. Just make sure you go in routinely to have them checked so that you can stop any early cavities if there is any, or to prevent any from getting bigger. Hope that helps!

Eta: if she can swish without swallowing, get some ACT fluoride rinse. If she can chew gum without swallowing, try some gum with xylitol (make sure xylitol is the first ingredient to be effective). You can usually find it in ice breaker cube gum and also in your local health foods store carries some.