Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Favorite low cost, 5 ingredient (or less!) meals? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487514)

mommy2abigail 01-31-2013 08:03 PM

Favorite low cost, 5 ingredient (or less!) meals?

Looking for some more! I've made Lentil/veggie stew twice this week, and the kids have choked down both times, having up to *3* bowls!

Lentil and Vegetable Stew

1/2 bag lentils ($.50)
1/2 stick butter ($.75)
Whatever vegetables you have, chopped tiny. Today I had sweet potato, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and Lima beans (ummm, I'll say $2?)
Whatever seasonings/spices you like. I used garlic, salt, ginger, paprika and cumin. ($.25)
1/2 cup heavy cream ($.50)

Start lentils and butter in hot pan/pot, once butter is melted, add in water.
Add spices/seasonings/herbs you like
After about ten minutes, add your carrots (they take a bit longer to cook, so I add those first)
After another ten minutes, add the other veggies (might need more water at this point)
When lentils are cooked, turn off heat and add heavy cream.

Looks weird, but it's SO yummy! And healthy, and super cheap. $4 makes a huge pot of soup. We had enough for dinner and lunch the next day. About $.40 per person.

Cajunteacher 01-31-2013 08:22 PM

Re: Favorite low cost, 5 ingredient (or less!) meals?

Ranch chicken
Any type of chicken, I've tried breasts, thighs, and whole pieces
One packet of ranch dip mix
Olive oil
Onions
Carrots - roughly chopped
Potatoes cubed
Chop all veggies and add to a covered baker
Add a dash of olive oil to the veggies and mix in half of the ranch packet
Place chicken on top of veggies lightly coat with olive oil then pour the rest of the ranch packet on the chicken
COVER the baker and bake at 375 for around an hour.
So easy, cheap, healthy, and delish! We had it tonight :)

redsonja 02-01-2013 12:00 AM

Pea soup. We LOVE pea soup.

1 bag dried peas $1
whatever meat bones you have in the freezer (we always save our bones. Works best with a hamhock, but you can also put leftover ham in it, or chicken bones, or beef bones, whatever!). Usually $0 because it's leftovers from another meal.
Water.

Sooooooooooooooo delicious.

Squash soup. Same concept, but buy whatever squash is cheapest during the fall/winter.

Potato soup.

thirdtimemomma 02-01-2013 07:14 AM

I rarely make anything with more than five ingredients, lol!

Rice and beans.. Cook dry black beans with salt, cumin, and a little cayenne. Serve over rice.

BLT salad... Bacon, tomato, over lettuce.

Goulash, saute beef, veggie you have on hand till beef is browned, add soeghetti sauce and a little water. Then add noodles and cook till noodles are done. Season to taste.

Chicken soup, chicken broth, leftover veg, left over chicken, noodles or rice.

Pork chop supper. Brown chops on both sides in a skillet, add chopped opinion, carrot and potato cover with cream of soup thinned with milk and put the lid on. Keep burner on low and cook for 15-20 min.

Chicken rotel rice.. Line a greased baking dish with chicken diced, rotel, cooked rice. Cover with thinned cream of soup, then cheese. Bake at 350 till bubbly

leadmare 02-15-2013 10:59 AM

Grilled chicken tenderloins and sauteed veggies! Also butternut squash soup. Cook squash then puree in food processor with chicken broth to thin, and add fresh ginger... Divine!

FernHollow 02-15-2013 11:12 AM

One of my favorite EASY, cheap meals that everyone in our family will eat is "Taco Rice". It is pretty much just a simple spanish rice that you can add whatever taco type toppings you have on hand. I make it with short grain brown rice, a can of tomato paste, chili powder, garlic powder, dried onion flakes, a little olive oil and salt to taste. Just dump it in the pot and cook it up like normal rice, add a little shredded cheddar. Can just keep it simple like that or add lots of extras! We eat a couple times a month with cheddar, sour cream, avocado chunks, salsa and fresh cilantro. Sometimes I will add a little cooked ground beef, but not always. SO simple and really easy on the budget. Plus if you make it with brown rice it is healthy and has a decent amount of protein.

My other favorite is chicken and potato stew, cooked in the crockpot. I just toss frozen chicken breast pieces in the crockpot (yes while still frozen!), chopped onion/carrots/red potatoes, a big spoonful of this organic chicken broth paste, and milk (or water). It takes less than 5 minutes to throw it all together and I usually stir it up and break up the chicken into smaller pieces about halfway through the day. You can add in frozen peas at the end of cooking and serve it with biscuits, or it is really great with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese served "baked potato soup" style. Yum. I think we are having that for dinner thanks to this thread :giggle:

kadesmama 02-17-2013 11:21 AM

Not a meal but still yummy and EASY
http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/...f-your-choice/

drabekgirl 02-17-2013 02:39 PM

white chili
1 qt jar northern beans (just use dried ones that you've cooked or caned)
1 pt salsa (free from your garden b/c you've caned it)
1 tsp cumin
1lb cubed raw boneless skinless chicken breast (free from the chickens you've grown)
1lb pepper jack cheese $2.

throw the first 4 ingredients into the crockpot add in the cheese 1 hour before serving. price about $2.50 if you've caned it all yourself

mississippimommy 02-17-2013 02:52 PM

Looking forward to many more of these. I'll add mine later.

MadeofStarStuff 02-19-2013 12:18 PM

Tortillas
Can chili or leftover chili
Cheese
Salsa

Spoon all ingredients into burritos and bake at 350 for 15 minutes

White rice
Leftover chicken
Soy sauce
Eggs
Bag of peas and carrots

Heat oil in skillet, add egg and scramble. Remove and reserve. Add veggies until tender, add rice, chicken, soy sauce and egg back to pan. Let cook until heated through.