Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Before Baby gets here (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487522)

BrandyGirl1215 01-31-2013 08:24 PM

Before Baby gets here

Is there anything I can do to ensure a good milk supply before my LO is born? I really want to EBF and Just wondered if there were any tips/tricks you ladies have?

mibarra 01-31-2013 08:32 PM

Feed a hungry baby! Feeding is the best way to build supply, along with good diet and plenty of water :)

EmilytheStrange 01-31-2013 08:36 PM

I'm going to look into placenta encapsulation. I hear that should help.

newmom98118 01-31-2013 08:37 PM

Re: Before Baby gets here

Yep, just nurse as soon as possible after baby is born and any time little one wants to suckle. Lots of skin to skin contact is great. Lounge in bed with baby all day if you can!
Do pay very close attention to how baby is attached (called a 'latch') to save your nipples and to make sure little one is getting as much as possible. Don't stress...you'll do great.

evasimone 01-31-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmom98118 (Post 16232483)
Yep, just nurse as soon as possible after baby is born and any time little one wants to suckle. Lots of skin to skin contact is great. Lounge in bed with baby all day if you can!
Do pay very close attention to how baby is attached (called a 'latch') to save your nipples and to make sure little one is getting as much as possible. Don't stress...you'll do great.

Ditto all of this, especially the bolded. I allowed LO to suckle as much as she wanted but ignored a poor latch. My baby didn't gain anything for 16 days and my nipples got badly damaged. If nursing is hurting then you probably have a bad latch.

You might know all of that already and if so I apologize I just want to save anyone else from making the same mistake I did.

Spunkify 02-01-2013 07:29 AM

I agree with all the great advice above!

If your hospital or birthing center has a LC on staff have them come in to visit you whether nursing is going well or not so well. I would also ask that the LC and the Pediatrician check baby for tongue tie when they do their examination(s).

The most important thing is to feed baby on demand, around the clock and take care of your self. Stay hydrated, rest when you can, and nurse baby. Surround yourself with people that nurse and/or support your decision to nurse.

Baby wearing was a great help to me too.

keonli 02-01-2013 08:16 AM

Buy some lansinoh cream for your nips! My nips were chapped and bleeding the first week because my DD had a bad latch initially. Even after she latched on fine, my nips were still recovering and the cream helped immensely.

When your milk comes in, you will be engorged and it will hurt. It might get harder for baby to latch on because of this, so you might consider a manual pump, just in case.

On the second day after baby is born, s/he will cluster feed. This doesn't mean s/he isn't getting enough milk, but that nursing more frequently, perhaps constantly is needed to stimulate your milk supply. Just have baby on you all the time to make it easier on you.

Hold off on giving a pacifier or introducing the bottle so you can further stimulate your milk supply.

BrandyGirl1215 02-01-2013 02:46 PM

Thank you so much for all of your advice ladies! I love that I found this site to ask my random questions and know that I will get back answers from women that have actual experience with the situations. Cant Wait for my DS to get here. First time mommy jitters have started sinking in

nicolewayne 02-01-2013 05:09 PM

I think most everything I know is covered but a great helper to get a good amount of milk is eating lots of oatmeal. Or atleastfor me :)