Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Frustrated (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487560)

imjustjessa 01-31-2013 11:51 PM

Frustrated

DS1 is 27.5 months old. He doesn't talk, but he can communicate (via pointing and making noises). He was on a waiting list for 8 months before even having a S-LP/OT assessment, at which they told me he is delayed in expressive speech (...duh.) and they don't want to see him for another 4 months. But, go ahead and go to these workshops that you cannot bring him to.

REALLY?!

(He is at a really crappy age. My friend has a son a year and a half older than him, and her son got his assessment finally and starts speech therapy next month, which is how it should be. My son is in between the "infant development" and "preschool resources" programs, and because he's too old for the one, and not old enough for the other, he gets to be on yet another year long wait list. BLAH!)

luvsviola 02-01-2013 06:59 AM

Re: Frustrated

So sorry mama. That is extremely frustrating.

mibarra 02-01-2013 09:05 AM

Infant in the US is birth to 3. PreK begins on the 3rd birthday. I can't believe an SLP would not want to start seeing a 2 year old who didn't speak. That blows my mind. Id push back and continue bothering them personally. I can give you some tips if you want. Send me a PM and I'll type it all out when I'm at my computer :)

EvaL 02-01-2013 11:29 AM

WOW, so sorry... that is frustrating.

The biggest fear is lack of communication and I am happy your little man is pointing and communicating, that is great. that is a terrific sign that he will talk:) Some things we used were PECS and sign language to help when the words weren't easy. You may want to do a little research with that to encourage his communication skills. Also using one word at a time and repeating the first sound... b, b, ball.... and trying to have him look at your lips. But really encouraging any communication including any sound is what they'd be doing at his age:)

((hugs))
Eva

aries416 02-01-2013 01:55 PM

Your son sounds just like mine! My son is also 27 months and not talking. He is learning new words almost daily, but doesn't use them regularly at all. He does communicate non-verbally. Early intervention has not been a great experience for us because he's only given 30 minutes with an SLP a month.

I am starting private speech therapy for him next week. It will be 3x a week. I'm hoping this helps!

isabelsmummy 02-01-2013 11:59 PM

My nephew did speech therapy at about 30mos. My SIL said it was really nothing exciting and it really didn't make much difference! Some kids are just late talkers and if he understands and communicates the language will more than likely come. She didn't bother with her second son and he spoke at the same age as his brother who did have the speech therapy.

If you are feeling anxious about it though, you can pay privately for it. Most extended medical insurance will pay for most of the cost. Even just one or two sessions would be enough to give you things to do at home.

Odd that waits are so long in Ontario. I've not heard of people waiting that long here.

Bellaroo 02-02-2013 08:10 AM

I'm so sorry about the wait times. Ontario is so behind the game when it comes to early intervention and it really sucks.

Our son is 28 months old and mostly non-verbal and had we stayed in Ontario he would still be waiting for treatment whereas in Alberta we were offered therapy at 18 months. Ontario really needs to catch up!

BCGamerMom 02-04-2013 11:15 PM

We have basically just gone through the exact same thing here in BC. DD was assessed in September (27 months - delay in expressive speech), and now again last week (almost 32 months - possible auditory processing problem) and we have to go back in May again.
Did the SLP give you stuff to work on at home? We dove in hard with sign language and that has made a huge difference for her, she is still having issues but she is communicating quite well now, once she learned a sign the word would follow and now I actually sign to her in signed exact english most of the time so she can better understand that the sounds I'm making are words and they are being directed at her. The sad thing is that even when you do get off the wait list the services are less therapy and more here is what you can do at home see you in month. So the more you can do at home the better. It's so frustrating when we are told over and over how important early intervention is but when our kids need it and we seek it out we get told we have to wait. *hugs*