Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   ♥♥ February Garden chat ♥♥ (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487564)

3lilbubs 02-01-2013 01:11 AM

♥♥ February Garden chat ♥♥

"Every gardener knows that under the cloak of winter lies a miracle ... a seed waiting to sprout, a bulb opening to the light, a bud straining to unfurl. And the anticipation nurtures our dream."
- Barbara Winkler

Hey mamas, back to monthly!! Guess what time it is!!!! We should all be thinking about seeding our early spring gardens, so bring it on, what are you doing to prep your beds, have you ordered all your seeds? Have your indoor seed starting center set up? :lostit: I'll be starting spinach, lettuce, broccoli, and hopefully direct sowing peas and carrots in march. I think I jumped the gun a little last year on my summer crops and that's why they didn't take off like they should have. I won't plant those until the first week of may unless something changes this year. That should give me time for harvesting everything from the early spring crops. :)

vjbakke 02-01-2013 09:05 AM

Re: ♥♥ February Garden chat ♥♥

We have most seeds, but being in MN won't start seeds inside until Mid March. Things like broccoli and cauliflower we can start from seed then. I want to buy a small green house, our feed store has them half price left over from last year. Last year we had seeds going in the dining room and basement. I want to get a better start on my tomatoes this year so they are larger by the time they can go in the garden. We are also adding another raised bed this year. I need to get drawing up plans for what is going where.

3lilbubs 02-01-2013 11:06 AM

I have these iris bulbs I picked up for cheap, everywhere I read says they have to be planted in fall to bloom this year (aww, sad) what are the odds I'd still see a bloom or 2 if I planted them now?

daddyn4wisechix 02-01-2013 11:10 AM

:popcorn:

aumismommy 02-02-2013 12:33 AM

I just started seeds indoors for summer crops prob a little early but going off frost dates I'm on time. So I did all heirlooms this year- patio Marconi red peppers, a black cherry tomato and a beefsteak purple/pink as well as two eggplants a long thin and a rosita. Next week ill get a new crop of beets, carrots and chard and kale going. We still have some cold weather (for us) coming I'm sure but it's supposed to be mid 60's all week and it's got me wanting to go crazy out there!
Making some soil amendments this weekend with phosphate and seaweed mix to get the beds ready for the early spring stuff.
Question- this will be my first time doing beams and peas...I know peas are spring cool weather and beans are summer but what about trellis types- I've been told beans like broader trellises like wood lattice type but peas need very small like wire- is that right?
So excited!!!!
And of course my melon and squash seeds are just beaming in their packets waiting for their turn! :) and beans and flowers too!

3lilbubs 02-02-2013 07:53 AM

I know, right?! It's been really warm the last 2 days here and it only makes me itch for spring planting. I putted around cleaning in the yard yesterday, today's my "day off" from exercise routine so I'll do more of the same today. Need to get my asparagus planted, and maybe Monday or Tues if the weather is still nice I'll get a couple of the posts for my fence set. No invading the garden this year, my feathered gals! LOL I debated getting my summer crops started now, but the reality is that I just have no where that is a good large environment to grow out plants for 8 wks without them getting leggy. The heat comes on so fast in May that they basically wait until then to grow outside anyhow. On years like this where there was no real snow in dec/jan we always get a late dusting in march so I'm expecting that as well. You're going to love that black cherry tomato, that's our favorite here and what I'm growing this year as well. For your questions, beans need warmth to germinate, it's true.. but you can start them indoors and get them set out sooner. They are simply more susceptible to rotting in cold wet soil than peas are during germination. Actually peas are rather unstoppable. I've had them survive full on freezes with little damage. The sooner you can get your beans established in spring the more likely you will get a good crop. Once the hot weather hits, they don't do very well. Here I've had good and bad years with them. If it's too hot I basically just get a very green vine and nothing else. I've come to rely on bush beans for the greater harvest. They do wonderfully here. Yes beans will climb anything but peas need something to hook their tendrils on to pull them up. They don't weave in and out like a bean and they are a lot more self-supporting. Check your package, I've noticed that most of what is readily available lately is 24-30" average. My favorite (wando) only grows this tall and surprisingly they don't require a lot of support. A stake on either end of a double row with a couple strings across is enough. The stocky parallel vines support each other.

sarahannecloud9 02-03-2013 06:40 AM

Only one thing i have managed to get done, lol, and that's dumping the droppings and shavings from the coop and runs all winter on the garden plot to be tilled in. I did manage to turn the compost pile. Gonna have some killer compost!!

Bright_Life_Toys 02-03-2013 06:56 AM

Hi ladies!

I prepped the garden last month and brought in 20 tons of compost to add to it. I started swiss chard about 6 weeks ago, and it'll be going in the garden this week. I also have my peppers started (jalapeno, giant marconi, and sweet cherry stuffing peppers). I started sweet potato slips yesterday, and broccoli seeds two weeks ago.

Broccoli -

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CANHzdXLIr...0/DSC_8092.JPG

sarahannecloud9 02-03-2013 08:28 AM

Lookin' awsome Gail! Boy you're just on the ball!

aumismommy 02-03-2013 02:45 PM

What a lovely broccoli baby! Thanks for the reminder too - I will start our sweet potato slips this week!