Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Need to get rid of so much (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487569)

Monkeys 02-01-2013 01:44 AM

Need to get rid of so much

We will be moving back home to Arkansas in December and I have to get rid of everything we don't use, but I just can't seem to get motivated to do it. I have so much junk just hanging out in closets some of it hasn't even been touched since we moved here 2 years ago. We have a weight limit on how much will be shipped home and I worry because my husbands motorcycle will be part of the household weight. It sucks that I just can't seem to find the energy to clean everything out. We donate everything we don't keep, and right now I have one closet stuffed full of clothes that the kids have all outgrown.

Uuuug I just need to get it done. I wish my DH would help me do it all, but I know he wont....

jessicanashville 02-01-2013 04:02 AM

Re: Need to get rid of so much

Can you pick one room to focus on per month? Then set a realistic goal of one drawer or box per day in that room? By Dec you should be done at that rate :) I would toss/donate/sell anything that is broken, unused or unloved. Good luck :)

Monkeys 02-01-2013 04:43 AM

That's what I am hoping to do.. I just feel so overwhelmed with everything. I don't even know where to start.

Shellyluwho 02-01-2013 05:42 AM

I know the feeling. We have officially decided to move from GA back west to WY or CO and I am completely overwhelmed by all that needs to be done. Not only packing, but we are supposed to "Stage" our house to sell. We have to paint all the trim as well as the outside of the house. Get rid of this huge junky piano that I have no idea how we are going to move it. We also have to put all 4 boys in one room for showing the house because right now the den is being used as the 2 youngest boys room. We have until the second week of March to get it all cleaned, decluttered and decorated. I need to get started but I feel like it is an insurmountable task. I think I am going to start by packing everything up in the front room, then decorate it. After that, I will focus on the den which is going to be tough as all the 2 youngest boys legos and toys are in there, the agent said to have the kids each pick out four toys to keep out and pack away the rest. My eight year old is a lego fanatic so he is going to have a tough time with this.

cherylchoo 02-01-2013 06:21 AM

:hugs: It is totally overwhelming. As for where to start, how about that closet full of outgrown clothes? It sounds like it just needs to be bagged and donated, not gone through. Do any of your local charities do pickup? If you get that done, then you have a place to keep putting bags of stuff to donate as you go through the rest of the house. I like the PP suggestion of a room per month, that is a realistic goal.

Not to threadjack, but shellyluwho I was in your same sitch 3 years ago but with 3 kids. When I staged the house, I put an extra mattress under the twin beds as a makeshift trundle so it looked like we had half as many beds. :giggle2: But what I wound up doing is having all three kids sleep in our king bed every night so I would only have one bed to make in the morning. :rofl:

Shellyluwho 02-01-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylchoo (Post 16233300)
:hugs: It is totally overwhelming. As for where to start, how about that closet full of outgrown clothes? It sounds like it just needs to be bagged and donated, not gone through. Do any of your local charities do pickup? If you get that done, then you have a place to keep putting bags of stuff to donate as you go through the rest of the house. I like the PP suggestion of a room per month, that is a realistic goal.

Not to threadjack, but shellyluwho I was in your same sitch 3 years ago but with 3 kids. When I staged the house, I put an extra mattress under the twin beds as a makeshift trundle so it looked like we had half as many beds. :giggle2: But what I wound up doing is having all three kids sleep in our king bed every night so I would only have one bed to make in the morning. :rofl:

That is a great idea with the twin mattress! I am going to do that. The funny thing is my four year old never sleeps in his own bed, anyway. He is either in bed with my 8 yo or in bed with DH and me. He is small for his age so we almost don't notice him most nights :giggle2: So one mattress for my two youngest will be fine.

To the OP, you and I will make it through this, I know it! Just take it one day at a time.

wasCarmel23 02-02-2013 10:16 PM

I try to do one thing at a time-- like go through all the clothing, then toys, etc.

Once you start you do get on a roll! I need to start, too. :thumbsup: good luck!