Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Second seat recs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487675)

Hungry Caterpillar 02-01-2013 10:28 AM

Second seat recs

I need a second convertible to put in my husband's car because we are tired of flipping the seat back and forth. We have the Peg Perego convertible in my car. It RF to 45 pounds which is important to me since I have the baby with me 90% of the time and we drive my car on weekends, generally. My question is, would you spend the extra $150 to get the extra five pounds RF for a second car, or would you instead go with a $200 seat that would RF to 40 pounds? My son is 15 months old, and already 27.5 pounds. He is in the 90 something percentile for weight and height. He is huge. But, I go back and forth. $150 for five pounds, but safety shouldn't have a price, but at what age will he hit that?? Can anyone help me? :blush:

Husband's car is a Prius, if that matters.

imjustjessa 02-01-2013 11:58 AM

Re: Second seat recs

I don't know how it will fit in a Prius, but the Graco MySize70/Size4Me/HeadWise (all the same seat, different stores have exclusive names for it in their own store) is the tallest seat on the market, and rear faces to 40 pounds.

mrosehughes 02-01-2013 02:22 PM

I have a 2007 Prius, and radians fit marvelously well in them with an angle adjuster. But maybe the peg would, too.

We faced a similar decision, as we had a radian and needed to replace our older gen (35 lb RFing limit) britax for DS in DH's car bc DS hit 35 lbs at two -- we opted for the cheaper Complete air 65 over getting another radian. We ended up having to flip him in DH's car at just three, bc he outgrew the CA by height (40" overall limit that safety first is firm on; he also hit 40 lbs shortly thereafter). It means occasional whining rants about how he much prefers sitting in DHs car. That said, I love the CA FFing, and can't say the same for the radian.

If you *love* the peg, I'd probably spring the extra $150 and get another. However, if you can find another, 40lb limit seat that you like almost as much, it just depends how you think you'll handle possibly having fights about RFing/FFing before you're ready to full-time ff. I don't regret getting DS the ca, despite the fights, because I really like it FFing.

sisu 02-01-2013 06:56 PM

Knowing your goal for RFing would help. :)

My son has always been in the 95th+ percentile for both height and weight and we got him a Radian. He's been hovering right at 40 pounds since a couple months past two, so I'm really glad we went with a seat with a 45 pound RFing limit. Also, with a taller kid, pay attention to how tall the seat is. We had a MyRide that DS was too tall for before he turned two - of course, he's got a long torso so that makes a big difference in that department.

Hungry Caterpillar 02-01-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 (Post 16236551)
Knowing your goal for RFing would help. :)

My son has always been in the 95th+ percentile for both height and weight and we got him a Radian. He's been hovering right at 40 pounds since a couple months past two, so I'm really glad we went with a seat with a 45 pound RFing limit. Also, with a taller kid, pay attention to how tall the seat is. We had a MyRide that DS was too tall for before he turned two - of course, he's got a long torso so that makes a big difference in that department.

My goal is to RF for as long as possible according to the height and weight limits :) I don't care much about how he feels about it. DH is on the safety-board as well.

I have been looking at a Radian. My DS has a long torso too so that's part of what killed us in the infant seat, he outgrew it at 28.5 inches but it was a 30 inch limit. The Radian always looks so odd to me though, it reminds me of an airplane seat for some reason. Are they just different bells and whistles with the different models?

Hungry Caterpillar 02-01-2013 07:28 PM

So, I am close to ordering this one
http://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/di...r-seat/daytona
For the Prius.

Regarding the incline adjuster - what exactly do I need to make this work in the Prius?

ETA: I found the adjuster and added it to the cart with the Radian RXT I just placed an order for :blush: Apparently I have no self control. Thanks for the help! New car seat on the way.

imjustjessa 02-01-2013 07:54 PM

The Size4Me will last longer RF'ing than the Radian if your son is tall.

If you're set on the Radian, the RXT model (with the headwings) isn't recommended for tall children as the headwings limit how long you can use the seat. (Also, don't count on it being a booster as it is outgrown quickly, has a 50lb minimum, and the belt paths aren't as good as they would be using a dedicated booster.)

ETA: Gah! I didn't reload before posting. Yay for the new seat!

sisu 02-01-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar (Post 16236685)
So, I am close to ordering this one
http://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/di...r-seat/daytona
For the Prius.

Regarding the incline adjuster - what exactly do I need to make this work in the Prius?

ETA: I found the adjuster and added it to the cart with the Radian RXT I just placed an order for :blush: Apparently I have no self control. Thanks for the help! New car seat on the way.

Radians are a love-it-or-hate-it seat, it seems. They can be tricky to install and don't work in all cars, but I liked our first one enough that we got another. Hope you love it!

mrosehughes 02-01-2013 09:33 PM

Yay! If you need some help with the install in the prius, PM me. I've got it down to an art, now, but it took some practice to get there!