Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Extra Fluffy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Tell me about your family cloth situation. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487676)

KLeeCW 02-01-2013 10:28 AM

Tell me about your family cloth situation.

5yo DS asked me yesterday if he could use cloth wipes like his little sister. I said "sure!" and wet a few for him. He threw them in the diaper pail after. Our pail isn't in the bathroom though, so I want to hear how you do family cloth. DH is not on board with family cloth. It irks him too much. I'd be fine with it and obviously DS wants to try it. Do you just keep a wet bag and a stack of wipes? Are your wipes pre-moistened? We wet wipes for DD as we go because I'm always afraid of them getting mildewy since she doesn't poop often and I just use one wipe at pee changes. But I imagine wipes in the bathroom would get used more often. We use a single layer of serged cotton flannel for DD, what is best for adults and kids?

qsefthuko 02-01-2013 10:31 AM

Re: Tell me about your family cloth situation.

Just a wet bag and a stack of wipes on the back of the toilet. I wash with diapers on wash day.

GEM Cloth 02-01-2013 01:25 PM

We keep a stack of dry wipes in a container on the back of the toilet or somewhere near the toilet. Used ones are rinsed in the sink immediately after use and put in an old ice cream bucket under the sink until time to wash. If they need to be wet for use we just turn the faucet on and wet them as needed.

Single layer flannel is fine for everyone, I like mine big enough to double over if it is just single layer though. Personally I prefer double-layer cotton knit.

SDJeannieZ3 02-01-2013 02:06 PM

I have serged terry wipes that are about the size of an index card with rounded corners. They are absorbent & grabby. I only use 1 each time I use the bathroom. I have used them for #2 and usually only need 1-2 and I don't need to wet them. But right now I am the only one who uses them and I only use them for #1, so hubby & DS don't use them. DD is still in dipes, but she will use them when she starts using the toilet. I am having a wet bag made that hangs on the toilet paper roll, like this one.

Since my boys still use tp & we often have guests, I plan on keeping tp on the rolls, but always having cloth available if my boys or our guests choose to use it. I just wash them whenever I'm doing whites, which is 1-2 times per week.

Mom2ManyBlessings 02-01-2013 02:22 PM

My big kids have a wetbag in theie bathroom and they keep wet wipes in a disposable wipe container on the back of the toliet. DH and I keep ours dry in a basket next to the toliet and wet as needed. We also have a wetbag in our bathroom. :)
The kids use flannel and DH and I use OBV. Once DH felt the velour feel there was no going back to flannel for him :)
They get washed with diapers.

KLeeCW 02-01-2013 04:43 PM

Oh! OBV as wipes is interesting. DH might be able to get on board with that.

lizgrace07 02-01-2013 06:36 PM

We have cotton velour wipes from Hazelbee Baby. We keep a big stack of them in a basket next to the sink (which is right next to the toilet). We wet them if needed when we use them. The used ones go in a rumparooz hanging wet bag that hangs on the towel bar.

MothyrGrimm 02-01-2013 06:44 PM

Argh I want to do FC so bad!! Can't wait to move so we can. I'm going straight for the obv. Lol

shortcake2386 02-01-2013 06:47 PM

We use fc. Dh always digs through the baskets for the obv ones lol. But no one else is picky. Ours are 4x8 and 8x8 and most are seconds from my store. We was them with diapers.

KLeeCW 02-01-2013 07:41 PM

How many do you recommend having for family cloth? 2 adults and 2 children? How often have you found you need to replace the wipes (i.e. buy news ones)? Every 6 months, once a year, longer?