Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   expired trade (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487854)

Bentley'sMomma 02-01-2013 06:55 PM

expired trade

So I did a trade with a mama. I sent her diapers and she sent me some things she made along with some baby shampoo and toddler toothpaste. Well the shampoo and toothpaste expired in 2008! WWYD?

The trade value she assigned to them was $8. I think it would probably be $4+ to ship it back to her. I don't think she has any paypal. But it also seems silly to ask her to send one of the diapers back to me (worth about $8) when it would cost her $2+ to ship it.

I didn't ask when they expired, but I also didn't think someone would sell something THAT old... especially since they were about retail value... I just did it to help her get more diapers and they were things I'd buy at the store anyways.

What would you do in this situation? And do you think they are safe to use? I think I might use the shampoo if it was for me, but I wouldn't want to use it on my baby. And I definitely don't want my baby or toddler swallowing toothpaste that expired 5 years ago!

IsaacsMom2009 02-01-2013 07:02 PM

If the shampoo has no separation or discoloration, I'd use it. The toothpaste, definitely not. That's just way too long past the expiration date, especially if its a natural toothpaste because those usually have fewer preservatives. I would mention it to her and see what she says.

qsefthuko 02-01-2013 07:03 PM

Re: expired trade

I had some wool wash I bought back in 2003. I called the company 2 years ago when I found out I was pregnant again. They said the soap should be just fine. They wouldn't recommend it if say it was waay old like maybe 20 years but that soap actually was good for a really long time. I would probably just use it as long as it looked and smelled fine.

If you don't want this option you may want to ask a mod and see what they can do. It may be the other mama didn't think to look for an expiration date on them.

Bentley'sMomma 02-01-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 16236578)
It may be the other mama didn't think to look for an expiration date on them.

Oh, I definitely don't think she knew it was expired. She's a very active and long time member. I just don't think their's a "fair" way to fix it.

Rdesonia 02-01-2013 07:24 PM

I would contact a mod. This is not acceptable. A person should check expiration dates especially if they had the items since 2008! Even if they didn't know, they should have checked.
Even if you feel there is no way to fix the situation, the other person involved should be contacted and be given an opportunity to respond. They should be made aware that trading expired products is not okay.

Kissed by the Moon 02-01-2013 10:46 PM

I would contact her and see if she can assign the trade value back to see if either she has something else she can send or just pp you the value to make up for it. she probably didn't check but it's not fair to you either.

I_run_with_scissors 02-02-2013 05:01 AM

id contact her and see how she wants to handle it. It sounds like it was an honest mistake, but you shouldnt have to be out anything over it

ulawolf 02-02-2013 05:43 AM

didn't even know shampoo exp. I would call company . Having had several exp. classes because of the food bank I help at I will say we take tooth paste 2 years post expiration.

Momof3ri 02-05-2013 05:05 PM

Contact her and express your concern. Tell her you don't feel comfortable sending it back but feel that she should come through on her part since you did. It isn't fair that you get what you got.

Bentley'sMomma 02-05-2013 05:10 PM

UPDATE: I contacted the mama. Of course, it was just an honest mistake and she sent me paypal.

Thanks everyone! I just feel bad since she's out shipping, paypal, and the expired products.