Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Feeling disconnected? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487903)

KLeeCW 02-01-2013 09:56 PM

Feeling disconnected?

For the past week or so I've just felt off, sort of disconnected from my family and my home. I don't want to clean or cook or do anything. My appetite is less than usual. I cringe when DH is trying to be affectionate. When DD needs to nurse I feel inconvenienced (I know, awful, and totally not the normal me). When she cries my ears actually ring and my eyes ache. DS seems extra clingy but he's just being his usual cuddly self. I feel like someone is always on top of me. I'm thinking ppd, but it seems late for that (4.5 months pp). Everything makes me irritable. I feel like I'm constantly on edge and in a bad mood. What the heck is going on with me? Any thoughts? My insurance right now only covers me for emergency visits because it's out of network and we can't switch plans right now. Otherwise, I would definitely be in to get checked out.

mibarra 02-01-2013 09:58 PM

Can you have a mommy's night out? Sometimes all I need is some me time to get back in balance. Could also be the return of your cycle...

Arabesque 02-01-2013 10:19 PM

It could be ppd. You might want to talk to a doctor about it. I suffered from severe anxiety when DD was about 6 months old. Now that the anxiety is gone, I have days where I want to just curl up into a ball for no reason.

If you're feeling overwhelmed and touched out, I second the PP who suggested a night out to yourself.

jam's mum 02-01-2013 10:27 PM

Re: Feeling disconnected?

PPD often hits at 6 months. People confuse it for "the baby blues" which happen to some women within three weeks of birth, but proper PPD sets in a bit later. :hugs:

MamaWillow 02-01-2013 11:50 PM

Could be PPD but it also sounds just like PMS. I would wait a few days and see if AF comes. Hugs mama, I know it sucks to feel off like that.

Suzi 02-02-2013 04:36 AM

I would go get checked out. Do you have a doctor? First time visits are usually more expensive than follow ups. I'd call around and check for prices on visits. Usually you can get a discount if you see a NP or a PA too.

As far as other ways to boost up your serotonin levels, walking or anykind of exercise, stop feeling guilty about not being monther of the year for this moment, everytime you get frustrated tell yourself 5 things you are doing well as a homemaker/mother. Look at what you are eating, especially since its less. I'd try to cut out artificial ingredients. Drink tons of water. Journaling can be helpful but I would make it a more constructive journal, not just a time to write how crappy of a job you are doing.

When I had ppd I started focusing on making dinners and that helped distract me from feeling crappy and gave me something I was proud of. Zoloft helped too :)

raisingcropsandbabies 02-02-2013 04:53 AM

Sounds like you need some mommy time to me. I start to feel like what you described when I just need a break! I kind of turn into Zombie Mom (keeping sane/calm on the outside, but totally turned off inside and definitely feeling like there are too many people touching me/wanting things from me) and DH can even see it. One or two little breaks that week really boost my spirit and refocus me. The past 5 years, breaks were few and too far between, but DH is now seeing what a difference regular breaks make for me and has been a lot better about the frequency (like 2 a month!!!). It's wonderul and I come back home refreshed. 1x a month I go out to eat with friends and then we just window shop and chat. Then the other time, I just wander...

Also, working out helps a TON! I workout 5-6x a week and it just boosts my spirit as well as my energy. I can also tell a big difference with my frustration level when I work out (it seems to dissolve). I have 9 workout dvds and just rotate. Some are dance ones and some are toning ones. I either workout during nap times or in the evening after the kids go to bed (though here lately, I'm able to get it in when Baby Girl/1 yr old is napping and the older boys-2,4,and5 are playing with each other or at the table with playdough).

Good luck Mama!

NotLad 02-02-2013 09:39 AM

My ppd hit me like a Mack truck right at five months. It was almost exactly as you described.

KLeeCW 02-02-2013 12:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the answers, I'm definitely thinking it's ppd, but keep the possibility of AF in mind. I haven't had a pp period yet, so it could be that. Any natural treatments for ppd until I can get in to see a doctor?

Almacham 02-02-2013 04:07 PM

I feel like that every other day. You need a break.