Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Pelvic pain (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487931)

apboyles 02-02-2013 04:04 AM

Pelvic pain

Anyone have pelvic pain during pregnancy? Like in the bones, not so much like I have a head crammed against my cervix pain. I didn't get this last time but this pregnancy has been different so I don't really know if its normal. There's all sorts of weird stuff going on down there this time but this is the first one that has freaked me out (I also have a varicosity *down there* and pulled a groin muscle about 5 weeks ago but its pretty much healed). So is this something I should be worried about? If you've had it, what relieved it? I'm thinking of sitting on an ice pack to see if that will help. Any suggestions?

blessedwifenmama 02-02-2013 05:37 AM

Re: Pelvic pain

If it's in your pubic bone area, it could be symphysis pubis dysfunction (SPD), which is pretty common in pregnancy. It basically happens when the ligament between your pubic bones relaxes too much and the bone ends bump into each other when you move, causing sharp pains. Other than that, it could probably be a bunch of things, but IDK what it would be. Maybe contact your provider to see what they think?

mommycass 02-02-2013 08:21 AM

I had that pain for the first time with my last pregnancy (4th). I think it was just the pubic bones spreading and relaxing. My babe is 4 days old now and I haven't had the pain since his birth. Nothing seemed to help relieve the pain much for me. Sitting and putting my feet up or just rubbing the area with light pressure helped sometimes. I also had a lot of pain in my tailbone at the end too. Its just one of those uncomfortable normals. Hope you can find some relief:)

jennayoung99 02-02-2013 08:25 AM

Oh ya! I've had it really early this pregnancy, like 16 weeks. And now at 24 weeks its excruciating. The only thing that has helped is sitting on my birthing ball. I find it gets worse the more running around I've done that day, so if I know its gonna be a busy one, I get my ball ready.

apboyles 02-02-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedwifenmama (Post 16237737)
If it's in your pubic bone area, it could be symphysis pubis dysfunction (SPD), which is pretty common in pregnancy. It basically happens when the ligament between your pubic bones relaxes too much and the bone ends bump into each other when you move, causing sharp pains. Other than that, it could probably be a bunch of things, but IDK what it would be. Maybe contact your provider to see what they think?

That is exactly what it feels like, like the bones bumping each other. I have an appointment next week, I'll ask my midwife then. It's so weird b/c this didn't happen last time. And it is NOT comfortable at all.

blessedwifenmama 02-02-2013 09:54 AM

Yeah, I think it's more common in 2nd and later pregnancies, than in the first. During my first pregnancy, it happened like twice, and was very painful. Fortunately, it wasn't a chronic issue for me, but it could be this time around, who knows? I've heard chiropractic care can help, if you ask specifically for that area to be adjusted (since it isn't something they routinely adjust) but have no experience with it. I know I've seen on here some mamas saying that they got some relief using various means, but I can't remember. Maybe some of them will chime in?

cristy_1996 02-04-2013 11:34 AM

Yep, I only had it with DD...it went away about a week after she was born. It started at 20 weeks and I was in pain the entire pregnancy after that...it suuuuucks! Use a pillow between your legs when you sleep. Try to keep your legs together when moving around, rolling over, etc. Warm baths helped to relax at night.

canadianbakers 02-04-2013 04:32 PM

Yup, I'm positive I've got SPD issues when pregnant. It's a terrible grinding pain, and not the cervix-head grinding pain like you said, this is definitely not that!
Mine has started earlier and earlier with each pregnancy, some days are better than others but it's always present.
I also have weird hip issues on my left side, like I've got a "weak hip" or something? It's painful and sore all the time, and on bad days I get sharp shooting pain when I move, and my leg/hip gives out on me. Annoying.

The pelvic troubles have always gotten better after birth, not immediately, but after a few days. The hip troubles just keep getting worse and worse for me, whether I'm pregnant or not.

Shel9365 02-04-2013 04:59 PM

I had SPD horribly during my last pregnancy (starting very early on) my midwife wrote me a script for a pregnancy support belt like this. I actually separated my pelvis during the delivery of DS1 and I couldn't walk for a week after I had him without an old lady walker. I think it was so bad with DS2 because I got pregnant so soon after I had DS1 and my body didn't have much time to heal.

I started having pelvic pain this time a couple weeks ago, but wearing my belt all day for a week or so made it SO much better, now I only need it when exercising. It still hurts when I wake up, but like someone else said, sleep with a pillow between your legs and make sure you always move your legs together as one when you get out of bed. It should get better shortly after delivery.

DottieHarley 02-04-2013 05:08 PM

Oh god I had horrible pelvic pain! It was more in the front pubic bone area, I felt like My pelvis was literally going to split in half. Doc said it was totally fine, just the front joint in the pelvic bone loosening up. I kept picturing like a snake dislocating it's jaw to swallow its prey, only of course it was pretty much the opposite :-)