Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I need project idea for 100th day of school (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487957)

Spunkify 02-02-2013 07:55 AM

I need project idea for 100th day of school

My kindergartner has to make a poster with 100 things on it to celebrate the 100th day of school.

The teacher sent home pictures with dried beans (or something) glued into the shape of "100", something else (looks like some sort of M&M candy) glued into the kid's name, and a big poster board with 100 animal related stickers.

I need some cool ideas for the 100things poster. Those all seem pretty dull to me.

monkeymama07 02-02-2013 08:47 AM

100 pictures of your child?
100 gumballs in a gumball avales posterboard
100 paper airplanes
100 legos
100 of his favorite things
100 melted crayons

Spunkify 02-02-2013 09:47 AM

Re: I need project idea for 100th day of school

I was thinking about the pictures. I figured that would be the most unique. I also thought about taking one of his pictures, blowing it up, and making it into a 100 piece puzzle.

jac1976 02-02-2013 02:36 PM

A friend of mine made a t-shirt for her son (but can easily be made into a poster too) - she took 100 googly eyes and put them on the shirt, then she drew a crazy, furry alien around it. It was really cute!

stevensmom 02-02-2013 02:38 PM

DS did 100 matchbox cars...yes we had that much and more!

ohgirlohboyohno 02-02-2013 04:44 PM

I probably have 100 random (missing their mate) socks...I would make 100 sock puppets :)

100 pipe cleaners sticking out like fur

ccserrano 02-02-2013 06:48 PM

I did 100 hershey kisses, labeled 1 to 100. Hid them.in the class room while the kids were at lunch. Also.made a 100 square grid, 2 50 square grids 4 25 square grids 5 20 square grids, and 10 10 square grids.. after the hunt, we put the kisses on all the different grids to show the different ways to make a hundred. The kids loved it.

lanwenyi 02-03-2013 07:00 AM

Whatever you choose, please, please, please, have your child do the project. Don't do it for them. Also, ask your child what s/he wants to do.

For DD, I wanted to do something different/creative, but DD had her heart set on putting together a 100 piece puzzle and gluing it to a board, so that's what we did. She put the puzzle together herself and DH/I helped her spread the glue over the top. She was very proud of it b/c she did it herself. She wrote "100 pieces for 100 days!" on the side of her board, in her (barely) 5yo handwriting. I could have done it better, but it was HER project. DD just got her project back on Friday (their 100th day was last week) and is still SUPER proud of it.

It's not a contest of who has the best/most creative project. Having the "prettiest" project usually means the parent did it and not the child. As a Kinder teacher, I was always disappointed to see those "perfect" projects. The child usually had almost no part in doing it and definitely felt no ownership of it.

On the other hand, the messy, sloppy, and, yes, boring, projects that the child did themselves, were loved by their makers. They went on and on about all the work they did to make it, how hard it was to count correctly to 100, all the problems they had planning/making the project, etc. There was true ownership there. They were PROUD of their projects. I HIGHLY rec taking that route, even if it is more boring for you.

Spunkify 02-03-2013 08:10 AM

I don't do my kid's work for them, no matter if it's for the 15 year old, 10 year old, or 5 year old. However the instructions specifically state "Help your child to make a poster or display with 100 objects on it". I was looking for ideas to discuss with him, something better than the beans and candies. I figure I'll have to help him narrow something down and with placement. My son is perfectly capable of creating "Wow!" things on his own, thankyouverymuch, but will need some direction to get him going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanwenyi (Post 16241713)
Whatever you choose, please, please, please, have your child do the project. Don't do it for them. Also, ask your child what s/he wants to do.

For DD, I wanted to do something different/creative, but DD had her heart set on putting together a 100 piece puzzle and gluing it to a board, so that's what we did. She put the puzzle together herself and DH/I helped her spread the glue over the top. She was very proud of it b/c she did it herself. She wrote "100 pieces for 100 days!" on the side of her board, in her (barely) 5yo handwriting. I could have done it better, but it was HER project. DD just got her project back on Friday (their 100th day was last week) and is still SUPER proud of it.

It's not a contest of who has the best/most creative project. Having the "prettiest" project usually means the parent did it and not the child. As a Kinder teacher, I was always disappointed to see those "perfect" projects. The child usually had almost no part in doing it and definitely felt no ownership of it.

On the other hand, the messy, sloppy, and, yes, boring, projects that the child did themselves, were loved by their makers. They went on and on about all the work they did to make it, how hard it was to count correctly to 100, all the problems they had planning/making the project, etc. There was true ownership there. They were PROUD of their projects. I HIGHLY rec taking that route, even if it is more boring for you.

lanwenyi 02-03-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunkify (Post 16241926)
I don't do my kid's work for them, no matter if it's for the 15 year old, 10 year old, or 5 year old. However the instructions specifically state "Help your child to make a poster or display with 100 objects on it". I was looking for ideas to discuss with him, something better than the beans and candies. I figure I'll have to help him narrow something down and with placement. My son is perfectly capable of creating "Wow!" things on his own, thankyouverymuch, but will need some direction to get him going.

I apologize for offending you. That was not my intention. My comment was not directed at you so much as the whole tone of these types of threads toward elaborate projects that most 5yo's cannot do on their own. As a teacher, I got a lot of projects done by the parent. You are undoubtedly not the only parent looking for a 100 day project, so my comment was for everyone. Again, I apologize for offending you. I hope you are able to find a project that your son will love creating. Good luck!