Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Car Seat Dilemmas...help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487982)

doulaK 02-02-2013 09:47 AM

Car Seat Dilemmas...help!

Hi everyone!

I am currently reading through the forums, but I figured I would post my situation as well and see what help I get.

Here it goes..

We have a 4.5 yr old (40 in.tall, 35lbs) and a 1.5 yr old (31 in tall 34 lbs) Yes, I know, 2 lb difference LOL.

They are currently in a Britax Frontier and a RF Britax Marathon in our 4runner.

My mom has the baby all day and picks my other son up from school daily, so her car needs seats as well. She has a nautilus for older ds and a safety first for the baby but she HATES the way it buckles, etc, and is NOT car seat savvy, so I NEED to get a seat for the baby that is idiot-proof to ensure he is buckled correctly. She always comments on how easy I get him into our car, so obvious choice might be a Britax..

AND last night we bought a Prius for me. Heres the dilemma. What do we do now? My husband and I never know for sure who is grabbing the kids from my mom because I am a doula/student midwife and I come and go, so really switching car seats between mine/mom/hubby's cars isnt practical at 3 am, etc.

Right now its obvious we need 3 seats. :banghead:

1 for 4.5 yr old (my car)
2 for 1.5 yr old (my car plus moms)

Now...what to get?!:headscratch:

I have been looking at the recaro euro..any recs? Obviously a prius is a bit small, so Ill take any recommendations. THANKS!!

imjustjessa 02-02-2013 10:37 AM

Re: Car Seat Dilemmas...help!

Recaro's are supposed to be short shelled and don't offer a lot of leg room. (I've never seen/used one though, as we don't have them in Canada.)

What seat is your oldest in?

Would a Guide65 be an option for your mom's car? It will fit your 1.5 R****** until she's 40 pounds and/or 40". It's at walmart for around $80 and usually fits kids to booster age.

For your car, what is your budget? What are your rear-facing goals?

Have you tried calling Graco about a new buckle for the Nautilus? Otherwise, there is the Britax Frontier85, the Graco Argos, Evenflo SecureKid, and the Recaro ProSport. I know Safety 1st also have a harnessed seat, but I'm not sure what it is called.

monica-m 02-02-2013 07:26 PM

Recaros are not short shelled but they do narrow at the top and don't provide a ton of shoulder room for taller kids. They do not provide much rear facing leg room.

For the 4 year old, I would get a Maestro or a Harmony Defender.

Look at the Guide 65, Evenflo SureRide, Graco Size4Me (the MySize and Headwise are other versions of this seat) or a Radian since he's a big guy.

jackyl08 02-02-2013 10:42 PM

For your mom's car, if she hates the Safety 1st, why not put her seat in your car and give her your Marathon? Then, you just need one seat for the baby. If not that, then maybe a Britax Roundabout 55(since he is not overly tall) for mom and something else for the Prius.