Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Manuscript curriculum for kindergarten (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488008)

risata 02-02-2013 11:31 AM

Manuscript curriculum for kindergarten

We are about halfway through the school year and while overall I've been happy with A Beka, I hate the manuscript writing curriculum. I don't want to switch to handwriting yet as I want DD to get better at printing first. So, I figure if I'm going to switch to something else I should do it now while most of the letters are still not totally ingrained, kwim?

Any recommendations for a curriculum that teaches manuscript in a way that will gradually progress to handwriting? Does that make sense?

~happy2Bamommy~ 02-02-2013 07:32 PM

Re: Manuscript curriculum for kindergarten

If I understand correctly, you want something that will keep her in print longer? ABeka switches to cursive really early right? Is that what you are trying to get away from?

I'm thinking yes but want to be sure :goodvibes:

Sugar&SpiceX3 02-02-2013 07:48 PM

Did you know that a beka has everything in manuscript as well? We use it because I hate doing cursive when learning to read as well. I just ordered all the stuff in manuscript instead.

*KaiMom* 02-02-2013 07:52 PM

I just teaching the printing material with Abeka and skip the cursive. I don't feel like kids in k are ready for cursive.

*KaiMom* 02-02-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ (Post 16240566)
If I understand correctly, you want something that will keep her in print longer? ABeka switches to cursive really early right? Is that what you are trying to get away from?

I'm thinking yes but want to be sure :goodvibes:

They teach it right away in kindy.

HeatherlovesCDs 02-02-2013 08:20 PM

I think OP means something totally different. LOL. I think she is using the A Beka manuscript curriculum (not the cursive) and dislikes it and wants to change to something new.

I know there is a curriculum that teaches manuscript in a way that easily converts to cursive, but I don't know which one it is. I can't remember.

Other than that, I know Handwriting Without Tears is a very popular handwriting program.

Good luck!

Gaiaschild 02-03-2013 01:58 AM

I know manuscript to mean traditional printing which is followed by cursive script. We like Zaner Bloser, simply because it's closest to, if not the same as the penmanship I learned in grade school.

risata 02-03-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 16240753)
I think OP means something totally different. LOL. I think she is using the A Beka manuscript curriculum (not the cursive) and dislikes it and wants to change to something new.

I know there is a curriculum that teaching manuscript in a way that easy converts to cursive, but I don't know which one it is. I can't remember.

Other than that, I know Handwriting Without Tears is a very popular handwriting program.

Good luck!

Yes, this is what I meant. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaiaschild (Post 16241478)
I know manuscript to mean traditional printing which is followed by cursive script. We like Zaner Bloser, simply because it's closest to, if not the same as the penmanship I learned in grade school.

I'm pretty sure I learned to print with Bob Jones but used Zaner Bloser for cursive -- I'll have to double-check with my mom.

I checked out italic printing and cursive and that looks very interesting. However at one review site there were many reviews stating that while the students learned to print and write nicely, they were unable to read traditional cursive.

foggierbard9 02-04-2013 12:19 PM

We started DS with D'Nealian this year because it flows easier into teaching Cursive. We are actually going to teach him Cursive next years as a 1st grader and when our next child gets to school age we will just start with Cursive. There are a few studies that show starting with Cursive helps with all around handwriting and that if they can write in cursive they can read all different types of text.

I am looking at Cursive First for next year.

HeatherlovesCDs 02-04-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggierbard9 (Post 16246944)
We started DS with D'Nealian this year because it flows easier into teaching Cursive. We are actually going to teach him Cursive next years as a 1st grader and when our next child gets to school age we will just start with Cursive. There are a few studies that show starting with Cursive helps with all around handwriting and that if they can write in cursive they can read all different types of text.

I am looking at Cursive First for next year.

This is what I was thinking of! :goodvibes: