Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   one size diapers best for newborns? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488045)

Dancingham 02-02-2013 01:14 PM

one size diapers best for newborns?

Hi everyone,
I will be a first-time mom this fall (EDD Sept. 24) and was wondering which one-size diapers are best for newborns. I understand the benefit of newborn diapers giving room for the umbilical cord until it falls off, but are there any specific diapers that are good for newborn and up. I don't really know if I want to get a whole stash of newborn size just to have to stop using them two months later (esp. since newborns have more frequent diaper changes).
This newbie would like some help!

Nerissa 02-02-2013 01:41 PM

Re: one size diapers best for newborns?

i had an 8lb newborn and regular OS diaper were way to big.

I really really like the newborn diapers. They were worth it for the two months until she fit into OS diapers. You can get some NB diapers very reasonable priced on FSOT and since you don't use them much they have a great resale value. I was able to buy my entire stash used and then turn around and sell it and a get all my money back.

nonipie 02-02-2013 01:49 PM

It's not really about the cord stump, more so that they just won't fit a newborn well. The rise will be high, the legs would likely gape and cause leaks and they will be bulky. It all depends on what you are looking to use. I will always choose prefolds/flats and covers for newborns because IMO they work best and in that case we have been able to use them in some way all the way to PLing. A couple dozen flats are a reliable and cheap choice. We had a handful of newborn AIO that we used on two children and then sold. So newborn diapers really do serve as great purpose.

rainbowgirl28 02-02-2013 02:32 PM

I loved having newborn diapers. You'll get a lot more poo leaks in OS diapers and disposables when they are that tiny.

March 02-02-2013 02:35 PM

SoftBums DO fit a newborn well. Go to Facebook.com/TodaysClothDiapers and ask her to show you her not-quite 6-lb. preemie in SoftBums. She's one of my friends and her new baby couldn't fit in ANYTHING she had--she was so discouraged. I brought her one to try on him and it was PERFECT.

SDJeannieZ3 02-02-2013 02:45 PM

I bought newborn dipes and wish I hadn't. Baby was 7lb 10oz and only fit for 6-8 weeks depending on file and not all of them fit him all the time as his body changed. And many of them leaked too.

But not my Softbums. They fit from day 1 and perfect every time. But my older kid was using them and my stash wasn't big enough for 2 at the time. If I could do it over I just would have bulked up my SB stash and skipped the headache of NB diapers.

March 02-02-2013 02:48 PM

I love newborn diapers! But SoftBums truly do fit a newborn and fit well.

Nerissa 02-02-2013 02:49 PM

i had GMD orange prefolds and NB prowrap covers and never had a single leak.

Dancingham 02-02-2013 02:53 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess now that I think about it, since I (Lord willing) will have more than one child, the newborn diapers will still get more than 2 months of use in the long run. At this time I'm not really interested in flats/pre-folds. They seem a little intimidating to me, since I have never used them, and want something that will be easy for me, hubby, and babysitters/ church nursery workers. I'm looking at AIOs, pocket diapers, and variations of those.

craigwick 02-02-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancingham (Post 16239543)
At this time I'm not really interested in flats/pre-folds. They seem a little intimidating to me, since I have never used them,

Same here, and even though this is my last baby I did invest in some NB diapers - fitteds/covers and some AIO's. I figure if I make some of it back in resale than I am doing good (though shipping will be killer from Canada!). My kids were 6.5 and 7 lbs and were in NB sposies for quite awhile so hopefully the NB's will fit this one for the same time.