Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Another Machine ? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488064)

WildWestMomma 02-02-2013 02:21 PM

Another Machine ?

Hello, I have been looking at a Singer SES2000 Sewing, Embroidery & Serge Machine on Craigslist and wondering if anyone knows much about them. I looked up the specs online and the reviews are pretty good, but would like to hear more. It sounds great to have everything in one machine, but just wondering if it's a pain in the butt to go back and forth between the serging, sewing and embroidery. I would love to hear any feedback! Thanks :)

Rdesonia 02-02-2013 03:37 PM

Re: Another Machine ? (SINGER SES2000)

That is NOT serger. It has a clip on knife attachment thing. If you are wanting to serger anything more than 2 layers of thin quilting cotton... it won't work. (And even then, it's an overlock stitch and not a true serger stitch.) These were sold on HSN for about $700 with all the software. So keep that in mind on the price.

WildWestMomma 02-02-2013 03:54 PM

Oh, that is good to know! Thank you. I did not realize this and would be very disappointed since I really want to serge.

Numommy 02-03-2013 03:31 PM

I would be wary of anything singer from late 90s to current. They were outsourced. Pfaff/Viking recently absorbed singer so should be getting better but they are still outsourced ATM.

WildWestMomma 02-03-2013 07:35 PM

Thanks Numommy for the info! Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar machine by a different, more reliable company?

Rdesonia 02-04-2013 01:09 AM

I think everything is made in China these days.
I think people like the Brother (Project runway one) for embroidery.It's about $400 at Walmart but you might catch a sale.
I have a Juno by Janome 3434D serger. I got it on Black friday so I can't say how it would hold up long term. People on here talk about the Brother 1034D because you can lay the thread in and it is durable. (Mine I have to use tweezers to thread it.)

It all depends on what you make/plan to make. The ones I mentioned are fine for home use but if you sew for a living, You might want a more expensive machine (s). I don't think it is possible to have a embroidery/sewing/serger combo in one machine and function properly.

sleepydaisy 02-04-2013 06:50 AM

Bernina is still made in Switzerland. Great machines and quality.

WildWestMomma 02-04-2013 05:58 PM

Thanks ladies! I had previously looked at the Brother 1034D Serger. I may go with that for my serger since I've seen so many good reviews. Today I saw a Brother ULT 2001 Pacesetter with lots of extras on Craigslist (make an offer). The reviews look pretty good for the embroidery function. I might do some more digging online for info on that one. I will also check out the Bernina (thanks sleepydaisy), I don't remember hearing that much about their machines but am interested to learn more.

Numommy 02-04-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildWestMomma
Hello, I have been looking at a Singer SES2000 Sewing, Embroidery & Serge Machine on Craigslist and wondering if anyone knows much about them. I looked up the specs online and the reviews are pretty good, but would like to hear more. It sounds great to have everything in one machine, but just wondering if it's a pain in the butt to go back and forth between the serging, sewing and embroidery. I would love to hear any feedback! Thanks :)

I don't much about embroidery. I think for a serger the brother would be good to start on. I have a 25 yo babylock serer that I got for $200 from a dealer that I love.

A sewing machine recommendation? Are you new to sewing? I'm having trbl myself, but for the money I don't think you can beat a vintage singer r kenmore. If you want new look at the Janome sewist 500 or the babylock model BL9. The latter is going for 99-129 at dealers and have excellent reviews.

MrsCrafty 02-06-2013 11:49 AM

Re: Another Machine ?

I have the Brother 1034D Serger, I like it, it's easy to thread. My Mom has an older Babylock serger(shes had since I was a child) and she cannot replace the needles herself. Her fingers are too big. So she has to wait until she see's me every time a needle breaks. So going to a dealer is a good idea to atleast try the machines and see what works for you.