Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Teaching your kids to read (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488080)

Ashleah143 02-02-2013 04:25 PM

Teaching your kids to read

What did you use to teach letters letter sounds and how to read? Also what age did they start reading at?

AbbieJack 02-02-2013 04:43 PM

Re: Teaching your kids to read

We used Explode The Code and Leap Frog Letter Factory . We start around 4 or whenever they show interest . DD was reading 3 letter words by 4 and Ds who is just now starting to show interest so we just started working with letter sounds. DD is now in first grade and is reading at a 2 grade level. DD is on book 4 almost 5 of Explode the Code and DS is on book A. We are taking it VERY slowly with DS we only do 2 pages or so a day. DD on the other hand does as many as she likes each day. Most days it is 4 or 5 and then others its 2.

tallanvor 02-02-2013 04:46 PM

Basic sounds were just done with life. The kids would ask to spell things or what words said, so we'd go over the sounds. When we actively started teaching them to read, we used Sing, Spell, Read, and Write level one (they also have a preschool and kindergarten level). My kids were all reading chapter books by the end if kindergarten and I think a big part of that was the program.

Leiiki 02-02-2013 04:57 PM

Read to them. Start at birth and read all the time - not just picture books but chapter books and whatever you are reading yourself. Our policy is that we will read any book DD chooses. Sometimes she loses interest if the book is more advanced, but she is 34 months and already reads her name and several "sight words." She can also "read" familiar books from memory with amazing accuracy.

Another rule here is that she can either go to sleep (naptime or bedtime) or read books to herself as long as she wants. Sometimes she spends an hour or more reading in bed.

oregonmom 02-02-2013 05:19 PM

I read to my kids a lot. Each kid is different. My middle child just seemed to pick up letter sounds from life. I never really taught them to him. My 5 year old learned off of starfall. My oldest it was a struggle of just sitting down and going through each letter slowly on what they said. We would work on one or two letters a week, and some he remembered week to week and some he did not. My older two could read at 7 and 6. My youngest is really not showing a lot of interest in learning to read yet so I am giving it another year till I start to push a bit at getting him to start learning more then letter sounds. He knows all of them by themselves but has no desire to blend them together or to read a book.

3rugrats 02-02-2013 06:46 PM

I do agree--read, read, read to them beginning when they will sit still. Go to the library and check out lots of books, go to storytimes to get them interested in book and letters and stories.

I began at about 3 w/ the ABC song, then using starfall.com we went over the letter sounds. They also have some phonics games on there that begin to blend CVC words which my DD began to do herself at 3.5yrs. I also got Bob books for her and the letter "sound box" books from our library. http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Box-Jane...my+a+sound+box

My DS (almost 4) is just now beginning to learn the sounds, but it's been slower going. He loves the leapfrog letter factory videos too.

One sign I've seen both my kids demonstrate which I think shows their readiness to learn the letter sounds is they began picking out letter on signs, asking me what things said, noticing brand names and things they would recognize, things like that.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 02-02-2013 10:22 PM

We didn't push it, but had the letter factory available as well as fridge phonics. We DS showed interest, we started with starfall and now do the reading lesson. DS just turned 5 and is reading 3 letter words pretty well.

7mom7 02-02-2013 10:24 PM

We have always read several books a day to our kids (and still do) but we started formally working on letter sounds right when they turned 2. I know that sounds young but it was really through intentional play in a no pressure situation, we also use Hooked on Phonics. They could identify and tell you letter sounds by age 3. My oldest picked up a book one day and started reading on his own...this was about 3 months before he turned 4. I felt like he was too young so we took a long break from anything formal, maybe 6 months? During that time he would read books to me before nap just to practice. We did a lot of talking through things as life happened with math etc. He reads extremely well for his age but more importantly he REALLY loves books.

rverrone11 02-03-2013 12:12 AM

My 5 year old daughter picked up letter sounds on her own...from starfall and other ipad games. DH and I read to her a lot starting when she was about 4 months old but I never formally taught her any sounds.

I started teaching her how to read in November just before she turned 5. It was something I didn't want to push on her since she won't start Kindergarten until next year (she missed the cut-off for this year, and she will be going to public school because DH will be her teacher). But she was ready to learn so I bought The Reading Lesson and some Bob Books. It's only been 3 months, and she can now read 1st grade level books.

Dmpmercury 02-03-2013 12:27 AM

I used preschool prep meet the phonics to teach letter sounds although my oldest picked up sounds on her own.

I started reading lessons with my oldest when she was 5. I started with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and Funnix. She got stuck in 100 Easy lessons halfway through so I tried a few other things and finally settled on Reading Bear with blend phonics readers from the Don Potter web site. She seemed to be stuck in a hump especially after a busy summer where I didn't really work with her during that time but she got through it and is now reading 1st grade books and making progress. She struggled with fluency especially. If I could go back I would have started a little earlier with her.

I did reading bear with ds who is 4 and he can read 3 letter words but not fluently yet. I am working on smoother blending with him then I will probably use AAR with him. I do the starfall learning to read stories and the free I See Sam books with him. Before we started working on blending he learned his letter sounds, the first letter sound and rhyming. He also knows some sight words.

I have done Meet the Phonics and Reading Bear with my 2 year too when she shows interest. I think she is learning from it. She can point to the correct letters when I say a sound and can do it with some cvc words too but she doesn't say them yet when I show her except once or twice.