Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Yeast came back (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488090)

Jcurrie 02-02-2013 03:51 PM

Yeast came back

My son had a yeast infection early January and it was gone within a week. I used grapefruit seed extract on all his diapers for a few washes after and stripped them. It just came back today. My question is would it have come back because it was still in his diapers? Or is this just a new infection?

nonipie 02-02-2013 04:12 PM

Re: Yeast came back

IDK but I have only used bleach to disinfect and it never came back. I would try the GFSE again but also keep treating each wash until at least a week after it appears cleared. I would also try a probiotic.

TrennaII 02-02-2013 04:14 PM

GFSE is not effective against yeast unless you use it by the gallon. You probably need to bleach. I rarely advocate for bleach but yeast is hard to kill.

Jcurrie 02-02-2013 04:20 PM

How much bleach would you use for a load of about 15 diapers, including inserts, wet bags and wipes? Which cycle would I put in in? Thanks!

Jcurrie 02-02-2013 04:24 PM

Is oxyclean okay to use instead of chlorine bleach? Or is chlorine bleach the way to go? I'm so nervous about it ruining my diapers...

daniele_ut 02-02-2013 08:12 PM

DS had yeast back in November after a round of antibiotics and he just had another round of antibiotics so his yeast is back. I use regular chlorine bleach on my diapers pretty regularly, probably at least once a week, and have had no damage to my diapers at all. I have BG 4.0s, BG Freetimes, some Sunbaby pockets, microfiber inserts, Flip organic inserts, charcoal bamboo inserts, and some GMD prefolds.

Pixi6s 02-02-2013 08:48 PM

I don't know if oxyclean is good enough (don't know the ingredients) but we are using biokleen oxygen bleach and it seems to kill the yeast. I also use 1/2 tbs of GSE in the rinse cycle. I've read that using both is ideal.

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/yeastvscloth.htm

I have a front loader. I use 1oz of the powder in the warm soak that I use for a rinse. Then 1oz in the main wash. I also have been using Sanitize to help kill the yeast. If you don't have this option you may want to turn up your hot water (unless its really hot normally) . Then an extra warm rinse with the GSE. I'm so ready for it to be done. It was at "almost gone" 5 days ago. Every day its a tiny bit better but won't die!

Ug.

also make sure you are washing everything that comes in contact with the yeast in bleach. Wipes, diapers, wet bag, pail liners, changing pad covers. Make sure if its peeking out of the diaper area at all that you are disinfecting clothes. I put GSE 20 drop per oz in our soap dispensers to help disinfect hands after touching the yeast.

Make sure whatever you are applying to baby you don't infect with yeast by touching bum, then touching the container again.

Such a pain.

Jcurrie 02-03-2013 11:01 AM

Thanks for everyone's help! I will do laundry all day to try and get everything clean! One more question, if you switch to disposables or disposable inserts while baby has yeast, how long until their bum is clear to go back to cloth?

Pixi6s 02-03-2013 05:27 PM

This I don't really know. The dr said to keep treating for yeast like 10 days after it is gone which seems ridiculousness. I would do a day or 2.

RockinLou 02-03-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcurrie (Post 16242562)
Thanks for everyone's help! I will do laundry all day to try and get everything clean! One more question, if you switch to disposables or disposable inserts while baby has yeast, how long until their bum is clear to go back to cloth?

I disinfect everything with bleach (don't forget the wipes and pail liners too!) and wait until he is 100% clear for 3-4 days before going back to cloth. 1/8 cup bleach in a HE machine, 1/4 in a traditional top load.... the longer the yeast has been lingering the more aggressive I am with the bleach.

OxyClean will not be effective enough.

right now DS is really sick, and some of it is tummy troubles, I have had him in huggies because I can't handle cleaning them every 45 minutes with his tummy the way it is, and I can't tell if the rash he is getting is yeast, or just burned from the watery stools, or from the huggies... these poor kids when their bottoms get sore! :cry:

DS will be back to normal before he is back in cloth, I don't like dealing with the bleaching issues with yeast, I figure that I've been cloth diapering 95% of the time for four years, one package of regular disposables has long been made up for elsewhere - usually we use an eco friendly disposable but I had none in and had to send a friend to the grocery around the corner, I went with what she could figure out easily :giggle2: