Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wearing wool 24/7? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488102)

clothrookie3 02-02-2013 05:13 PM

Wearing wool 24/7?

My youngest ds wears econobum covers over an osocozy prefold at home and BGE on the go. At night he wears a happy hempy fitted diaper stuffed with the hemp stuffins covered with wool longies (knit) and just wears a white hanes tshirt with it. I LOVE the wool longies/shorties. Right now he just has a pair of longies and a pair of shorties that I alternate between washes. My question is how do you wear wool during the day? Is that something I would do just at home? Can I buy them in solid colors? His are multi-colored now. How many more pairs would I need to buy? Also what is a good fitted for a heavy wetter during the day and a decent price? I'm thinking about getting away from the prefolds because no one else but me knows how to put them on even though I've showed DH a billion times :banghead: and I prefer snaps instead of aplix. Thanks:)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

UVASahm 02-02-2013 05:37 PM

Re: Wearing wool 24/7?

Oh boy, the wool love...it is sooo addicting. To answer your questions, yes, you can definitely wear wool outside of the house. I have a variety of fitteds and wool longies/shorties and I never have a leak. I don't even specifically lanolize my longies that I use during the day. I just wash them in wool wash with lanolin.

You can get them in solid colors, but that will most likely be interlock. Knit solid longies and shorties is not as common but it is not unheard of. There was a thread on here recently about solid colors with colorway trim. It was recent in extra fluffy.

How many more pairs? I would say realistically 6-10 would work. I have dozens...but that is silly.

To measure: put your son in his bulkiest diaper, measure his waist, hips, rise, and inseam. A good fitted would be pretty much anything as long as you change him frequently. I have everything. Good mamas are the best, but they are pricey. Sbish is great too but you probably would only need that absorbancy at night.

That's all I got!

clothrookie3 02-02-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASahm
Oh boy, the wool love...it is sooo addicting. To answer your questions, yes, you can definitely wear wool outside of the house. I have a variety of fitteds and wool longies/shorties and I never have a leak. I don't even specifically lanolize my longies that I use during the day. I just wash them in wool wash with lanolin.

You can get them in solid colors, but that will most likely be interlock. Knit solid longies and shorties is not as common but it is not unheard of. There was a thread on here recently about solid colors with colorway trim. It was recent in extra fluffy.

How many more pairs? I would say realistically 6-10 would work. I have dozens...but that is silly.

To measure: put your son in his bulkiest diaper, measure his waist, hips, rise, and inseam. A good fitted would be pretty much anything as long as you change him frequently. I have everything. Good mamas are the best, but they are pricey. Sbish is great too but you probably would only need that absorbancy at night.

That's all I got!

How many goodmamas/sbish should I get? I'd like to have all the same brand so DH can use confusion as an excuse:giggle:

MDever 02-02-2013 06:12 PM

We are a wool 24/7 family and I am due any day so we will have a toddler and a newb in wool. We primarily use Disana wool and I have 6 covers per child.

clothrookie3 02-02-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever
We are a wool 24/7 family and I am due any day so we will have a toddler and a newb in wool. We primarily use Disana wool and I have 6 covers per child.

Do you just put their clothing over the disana? Aren't those soakers or do they have different options?:blush::hide:

MDever 02-02-2013 06:22 PM

Yep, their clothes just go right over. The only thing I don't put over Disana is DD's one pair of jeans. We use snappi'd prefolds under wool but do keep a few workhorse dipes around too.

nonipie 02-02-2013 06:38 PM

Yes we're about 90% wool for my last 2 kiddos. I like Disana, Ruskovilla and Loveybums for wool soakers. I knit primarily solid color longies. I like BBR for it's colors and durability. Im sure you can get some custom knits in solids. We use ME Sandy's and prefolds/flats under wool during the day.

reyasunshine 02-02-2013 06:54 PM

I'm so glad you asked this! I was JUST thinking this as I put DD down for bed! I'm so frustrated with my BG AIOs these days. They NEVER leaked (we bought them brand new), and now after only a year, the elastic seems loose, and they leak all the time. I'm just ready to sell them all and do fitteds and wool full-time... maybe a few PUL covers too.

My favorite fitted is Thirsties Fab Fitted because they're soft, stay-dry, and absorbent (I also add a Thirsties hemp insert for nights), but I've only tried a handful (Bella Bottoms, MEOS, Kissaluvs, and Sandy's). Sandy's are my other favorites, and we use those mainly during the day with just a Bummis pull-on (just around the house... they don't do well under clothes). We ECs, so the combo of Sandy's and Bummis is just perfect. :)

My DD's favorite wool cover is a Hessnatur Organic Virgin Wool Diaper Cover/Pull-on. If I give her the choice, that's what she wants. But they are SUPER thin, and you need to have a good fitted. Old fitteds will just make them leak. LOL.

Hmm... for woolies, I have three pairs of shorties/capris (just received my 4th in the mail today! And will receive a 5th soon...) and six pairs of longies. Two of those I use strictly for nights though because they have elastic waist instead of drawstring, so I feel like they're more comfortable for her to sleep on her stomach. :) I feel like that's plenty for us. I will probably have to stop myself from buying more shorties for the summer... *sigh*

But I'm also confused as to how people get pants *over* their wool covers. Are these just like very thin covers? Which brands/types are people using? My DD wears leggings when she's not in wool because she's SO long and skinny and no other pants fit her. There is no way i could get leggings over wool covers I don't think... LOL.

dren09 02-02-2013 10:23 PM

We did exclusively wool the first couple months and they were covers that I had made. They look just like any other PUL cover and fit pretty trim so we put normal clothes on her easily.

Teddyandnick 02-02-2013 10:59 PM

My boys both love wool! I mainly use pockets but they love the warmth of longies. DS1 has been PLed for over a year and he still wants to wear them. When he goes to preschool I put him in regular pants though. DS2 will wear wool when we are out. I have a couple pairs that are solids from cestari. We have a ton more longies than we need just because I love the colorways. I like goodmamas, but I have heard great things about poppy fields diapers. I have been dying to buy one of those!