Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   I'm ready to wean (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488120)

corinne76 02-02-2013 06:29 PM

I'm ready to wean

DS will be 2 on the 5th. I wanted to wait til he was ready, but I can't take it anymore. He wakes up hourly and takes forever to put back down and I'm constantly tired. I'm just ready.
Next weekend we are busy because we're doing his and DD's bday party. I think the weekend after will be it. I may have to cold-turkey it because he's very much attached.
If anyone has any advice, I'd gladly take it.

tibeca 02-02-2013 08:07 PM

Re: I'm ready to wean

Sounds like night weaning may get you the break you need to keep going. Look into the Jay Gordon method.

Cold turkey is hard on both your body (risks of infections) and your and your child's emotions.

Meredith+2 02-02-2013 08:14 PM

Ditto on night weaning as a good place to start. It may fix the problem, and if you do decide to day wean after that you've got half of it handled alredy.

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

corinne76 02-02-2013 08:26 PM

thank you both for the support and advice. I'll look into that method. For some reason I can't get the link to open. I tried on my computer and on my phone

eta: it says the site may be too busy

menthomas 02-02-2013 09:12 PM

My ds1 weaned at 19 months. He was very much a booby boy and I didn't think weaning would come easy. So one night I just rocked him and didn't mention nursing. He fell asleep and never asked to nurse again. Literally. He was done. I never got engourged or had any problems with infections. So try cutting out nursing sessions and redirecting and see how he does.

justineybean 02-03-2013 06:20 AM

I weaned my DS cold turkey a few weeks before he turned 2. He was like your son and very much attached (I am also experiencing this with my 20 mo DD right now) and woke up often at night while co-sleeping. I wanted to offer :hugs: and let you know that it might be easier than you think. I wanted it to be gentle but I needed to stop due to my own illness (shingles - yikes!) and needing medication that wasn't safe while breastfeeding. To be honest though, I was relieved to end our nursing relationship because it had become very difficult for me. Night weaning is really difficult while co-sleeping IME. Anyway, he did so great! He cried for a short while at bedtime (maybe 10 minutes) the first night and then after that it got easier by the day. I was really surprised. I think in the end he was just ready to wean. It was very much just a habit and not a necessity for him at that point. I did miss being able to comfort him with nursing but there are so many other ways to comfort your baby and meet his emotional needs! I find that with my DD now, the more time I spend giving her my full attention and giving her the love and support she needs throughout the day (and not being distracted by other things) the less she asks to nurse. Night time is another story but in general I think that will help ease our transition when the time comes, and that will most likely be in a few months. Good luck to you! :hugs:

corinne76 02-03-2013 12:24 PM

well, last night went ... well. I guess. I decided that I was going to wean him from 11-6. He nursed to sleep and he did wake up right after 11. I nursed him a little and put him down. He cried but sounded like pain and he farted LOL so I gave him gas drops, rubbed his tummy nad he went back to sleep. It lasted about 18 min total.

THe 2nd time he woke during the 7 hr frame was not so good. I nursed him a little and told him that "muck" had to be night night soon and so did he. He screamed. Like screamed and screamed. he wouldn't eve let me hold him to console him. He calmed a little and I rocked him, but he cried again. I finally got him to sleep after about 30 min but he woke again in a few min screaming again. I nursed for a few minutes and let him cry. I rubbed his tummy and he finally went back to sleep.

He woke again at 6:30 and nursed back to sleep. He woke for the day at about 8, probably about the latest he's ever woken up LOL. He nursed a lot at 8.

I do hope to fully wean him, but I don't think he's going to go easy with cold-turkey. So we will do it gradually. as long as I get sleep at night, I can handle nursing during the day.

justineybean 02-03-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinne76 (Post 16242841)
well, last night went ... well. I guess. I decided that I was going to wean him from 11-6. He nursed to sleep and he did wake up right after 11. I nursed him a little and put him down. He cried but sounded like pain and he farted LOL so I gave him gas drops, rubbed his tummy nad he went back to sleep. It lasted about 18 min total.

THe 2nd time he woke during the 7 hr frame was not so good. I nursed him a little and told him that "muck" had to be night night soon and so did he. He screamed. Like screamed and screamed. he wouldn't eve let me hold him to console him. He calmed a little and I rocked him, but he cried again. I finally got him to sleep after about 30 min but he woke again in a few min screaming again. I nursed for a few minutes and let him cry. I rubbed his tummy and he finally went back to sleep.

He woke again at 6:30 and nursed back to sleep. He woke for the day at about 8, probably about the latest he's ever woken up LOL. He nursed a lot at 8.

I do hope to fully wean him, but I don't think he's going to go easy with cold-turkey. So we will do it gradually. as long as I get sleep at night, I can handle nursing during the day.

That sounds great -- at least a step in the right direction. :) Glad to hear that. I don't think weaning will go nearly as easily for my DD as it did for my DS so I understand that cold turkey might not be the way for your LO. Good luck tonight! :)

corinne76 02-05-2013 01:01 AM

Day 2 was a slight improvement over day 1. He woke up once, and cried and screamed for about 35 min.
I'm going to go to bed soon, I"ll update tomorrow with how day 3 went. I hope he sleeps well. Tomorrow is his 2nd bday LOL. Maybe I should have held off to at least after his bday. Maybe not. mama needs sleep!

corinne76 02-05-2013 01:17 PM

night 3 was much better! He nursed to sleep. He woke up 2:53 and nursed for about 3 minutes. I laid him down and he cried, but it's wasn't a full on scream like the previous nights. it was more a "waaaah, waaaah" I noticed his diaper was really wet so I changed him and let him waaah a little more. By 3 he was snoring again. I was shocked!
He woke again at 5 and since I had to wake up shortly and didnt want to fight, I nursed him back to sleep. I figured our 3am session was victory enough LOL.

Hoping tonight goes well too. I may skip to the 3rd stage since he doesn't let me pick him up anyway. I can only shush and pat him