Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   CD wash routine? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488172)

RN83 02-02-2013 09:15 PM

CD wash routine?

Hi ladies, I'm looking for a little guidance on detergents and was routines for cloth dipes. We are new to this, and want to keep it AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE. We are adopting through the foster care system, and will have 8 million other things going on I'm sure. But we're super dedicated to using cloth, so I want to get some more info! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Namiko 02-02-2013 09:22 PM

Re: CD wash routine?

I researched a lot of detergents and wash routines and ended up using Country Save powder (you can usually find at healthfood stores) and doing a cold rinse/wash on Delicates followed by a warm wash. It's worked pretty well so far. I wash every other day. Hope this helps! :goodvibes:

mbusd03 02-02-2013 09:48 PM

You can always try using whatever detergent you have on hand already. If it ends up not working out for you, you can always switch detergents. A lot of mammas on here use Tide and have had great luck with it! Avoid fabric softeners, though I'm sure there is some cloth diaper safe fabric softener out there.

My wash routine: warm rinse with just a litte bit of detergent, Hot wash cycle with detergent(includes a cold rinse in there), another cold rinse. Once a month or so I add 1/4 cup of bleach to my load and when I do that I add a full extra wash cycle just to make sure I rinse them out well. I have a non-HE top loader. I wash diapers every other day, but sometimes I go 3 days between diaper laundry. My stash is varied with pockets, flats, prefolds, microfiber, and a few fitteds in there. If you're looking for super easy to get clean, I would go with flats. They wash so easily and dry very quickly.

nonipie 02-02-2013 09:49 PM

I'm all about simple! I do a cold rinse or prewash, hot wash with Tide, regular cold rinse, everything except for covers into the dryer. Occasionally I use bleach in the hot wash in which case I do an extra rinse.

Saltkatt 02-02-2013 09:56 PM

I'm using bumgenius pockets.
I have a pul bag hanging next to changing table. The pee diapers go directly in to the bag. I remove the inserts before I put them in. Same with cloth wipes. If its a poo diaper I put it in a little plastic container I have next to the table, and after changing the baby I bring the container to the bathroom and use the diaper sprayer to remove the poop, then put it in the pul bag as well.
Every three days I just empty the pul bag in the washer, and throw the bag in as well.
After reading a lot of different reviews about wash detergent, diaper friendly etc I decided to just use our reg detergent which is tide. I have never had any problems with stink or build ups or anything.
I wash on hot with cold rinse, with a cold prewash (no detergent for the prewash), and add an extra rinse plus I have a heavy soiled button that I press too. That's it!
I tumble the inserts and hang the covers. Ikea has a nifty little hanger, looks like an octopus with arms that has clothespins attached. Very handy for drying the pockets.
It's super easy!

gigismomma 02-02-2013 10:19 PM

I use ALlen's detergent but have used Tide in the past.

What works best for me:
cold rinse. Wash on hot with detergent, with extra rinse. Everything except covers go into the dryer. Every month, I run a hot/sanitize cycle after cleaning the diapers using the above routine (I do not use detergent with the sanitize cycle).

hilaryisinked 02-03-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonipie
I'm all about simple! I do a cold rinse or prewash, hot wash with Tide, regular cold rinse, everything except for covers into the dryer. Occasionally I use bleach in the hot wash in which case I do an extra rinse.

This except I dry everything in the dryer.

Talia01 02-03-2013 06:27 AM

Sprayer off poops once on solids. I use a wetbag and throw the entire bag in the washer.

Cold rinse
Hot wash with Tide & select extra rinse
Dryer on medium

RN83 02-03-2013 06:42 AM

You ladies are amazing!!! Thank you so much!! We have tide for our regular laundry and I was hoping that I could continue to use it for CD's. the tips about spraying poopy diapers are great too. Thanks again!!!!!

Almacham 02-03-2013 07:38 AM

You sure can use Tide for your diapers. Make sure you wash on hot and use enough detergent. Diapers can quickly accumulate a lot of bacteria. And congratulations! :)