Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   cannibus (pot) for morning sickness (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488321)

homebirthmom 02-03-2013 12:44 PM

cannibus (pot) for morning sickness

wondering if anyone uses this or has tried it or perhaps knows someone who used it with success for pregnancy sickness.
I know there are stories on the net using it for cancer patients and a ton of other things... then it dawned on me, why not look it up for sickness.

perhaps I will get flamed for this, and in states where its legal then there should be no issue but i figured I would just ask. I have read about it plenty in midwifery books...

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/mo...-surveyed.html

xtin 02-03-2013 01:35 PM

Re: cannibus (pot) for morning sickness

Are there any studies on THC affects?

rumblepurr 02-03-2013 01:50 PM

I never did, not a smoker at all, plus I'm a freak about taking anything in the 1st tri. However, my mom was a smoker (migraines) and DH's mom was a smoker and I know they used during their pregnancies, which might explain a few things :giggle:. A few people I know also used during their pregnancies, not only smoking, but in butter and adding it to foods they could eat. I'm curiously watching how their kiddos turn out...

Don't know the side effects, but I do know smoking leads to low birth weights.

3 ladybugs 02-03-2013 01:56 PM

My grandmother suggested it to me when I was in chemo and I laughed her off. Honestly there are much better legal ways to deal with nausea in chemo I found.

As far as pregnancy, I don't even like getting immunizations while pregnant (and I fully vax on time!) so using it then when I wouldn't even use it in chemo is just silly to me and something that would have never crossed my mind. I think it is semi legal in my state. I think the growers are held up in the state and that is why it isn't widely available. However I don't really pay attention. Seems silly to me that pot would be legal and raw milk isn't. :rolleyes:

LaurenAppenzeller 02-03-2013 02:05 PM

There has been one study that I read about with moms in Jamaica where its part of their religion. The woman who did the study was not a smoker and had nothing to gain was just a nurse or Dr. I cant remember who wanted to know if there were any effects and since its not legal here did it there. The study found that the children of mothers who smoked were just fine and were actually smarter and more well adjusted than the children born to moms who didn't smoke they tested the babies at like I forget what ages maybe a few months then 6 months a year then maybe 18 mos or 2 and then came back when they were school age. No difference and I'm not sure of it was just a random coincidence but were actually ahead. I smoked with my son when I felt sick and it helped soooo much!! Also I've heard of drs and midwives saying that bc it has no negative effect on adults then it won't on a baby either and is safer and more natural than the anti nausea drugs they can prescribe. Also my son is very smart and advanced for his age and he always has been he's almost 3 now. I smoked pretty regularly while
e I was pregnant but not heavily like a couple hits a couple times a day of reallygood pot grown by someone I know oiganically or a close to organic as you can get and very well flushed.

LaurenAppenzeller 02-03-2013 02:22 PM

You would have to be smoking as heavily as a cigarette smoker to have a low birthweight baby from pot. Honestly I was a tiny bit concerned obviously, and I am also very careful about the way I eat and what I put in my body. I also had a girl I know tell me that she smoked with her son and not her daughter and they are school age and the son gets straight As and the daughter is kinda ditsy. I don't think it matters if you do but that's just my opinion.

mommycass 02-03-2013 02:24 PM

Melanie Dreher is the woman who did the Jamaica study. I know that many women don't like taking/using anything during pregnancy. I prefer herbs and vitamins versus chemically altered/made drugs. I know family and friends that have smoked or baked with marijuana during pregnancy and their babes are great. I know it helps great with nausea, pain, and appetite. I believe its a better choice than other meds.

LaurenAppenzeller 02-03-2013 02:51 PM

Pp^^thats awesome that you knew what I was talking about. I hope that I was accurate in my recollection of the study its been over 3 years since I read about it. Also for the people that said there were pharmaceutical meds available remember that that doesn't always mean they are safe. Also they prescribe opiates to moms too like Vicodin so...I think pots a better choice and if drs could legally say to smoke pot a lot of them would and I have even heard of some of them saying to go ahead anyway.also this part is a little embarrassing but in our area they routinely test babies for drugs in their urine, not sure if its just people with Medicaid but my son tested positive for pot and they were ok with it and said they aren't worried about pot at all. Dcfs wasn't involved or anything like that if that was a concern.

brina1823 02-03-2013 03:04 PM

In some states in will cause a CPS investigation. Just an fyi since I have investigated for mother and child testing positive for marijuana.

Monkeymamaof2 02-03-2013 03:07 PM

I smoked with Ds2 when the Zofran pump just wasn't enough. I also smoked in the very beginning of this pregnancy too and I will probably continue throughout the rest of this pregnancy. Because it really helps with my migraines and depression and I prefer natural remedies and don't want to be on a med that I have to depend on or that can cause possible side effects to me or my unborn child. There aren't any studies that show THC is harmful to a developing fetus but there are tons on nicotine. Also my ob knows I smoke and she hasn't said one negative thing, she told me she was actually happy that I didn't say "I smoked cigarettes". She also knows that I smoked in my previous pregnancy. Which my son turned out fine he is actually smarter common sense wise then his older brother lol I know friends who parents are hippies and they were the ones who suggested for me to smoke while pregnant. I have several friends and family who smoke while pregnant as well and they all have healthy smart children.
Fyi- Im sure some moms are going to try to make women like me who do smoke marijuana look bad. However I'm pretty well educated and educated on marijuana and its different strains so I wont mind throwing the facts out there :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum